PDA

View Full Version : Buying a cheap Pocket Bike from TradeMe: Bad?

breakaway
1st April 2007, 18:39
Hello All,

Just got into riding, and I already own a '98 Suzuki RG150. I was watching a movie with a mate last night, and the lead character riding a pocket bike.

Looked like great fun, so I immediately hopped on trademe, and was very surprised to find these bikes at low prices ($300 and below). There's even a dude selling some for $199 on "Clearance". (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=93722828)

Since it's so cheap, I'm toying with the idea of buying one.

I'm very familiar with the "you get what you pay for" rule.

So, I'm seeking advice from you experienced people. Is buying this cheap pocket bike a bad idea?

Any input appreciated :)

Mr. Peanut
1st April 2007, 19:34
Go for it, but expect it to break.

breakaway
1st April 2007, 20:55
Just found this. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/RAZZO-49CC-Gas-Scooter-Pocket-Bike-YELLOW-BLACK-SILVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90985QQitemZ1201 03303620QQrdZ1)

Too bad shipping will cost me many times the price of the bike :(

Mr. Peanut
1st April 2007, 21:23
WOW lol....

Racing Pull Starter - increases HP with elimination of the electric starter

:done:

McJim
1st April 2007, 21:40
You already have an RG150...whaddya want ANOTHER pocket bike for?

Seriously though - buy it - how much will it cost to weld it back together again...or even remake the frame from scratch if it breaks.

There's not an awful lot to pocket bikes really.

breakaway
1st April 2007, 21:59
You already have an RG150...whaddya want ANOTHER pocket bike for?

Ohh that hurts :shutup:

I figured I'd give it a go, since $199 seems like a very reasonable price for such a machine.

dveus
2nd April 2007, 10:12
We've just recently picked up a couple of cheap chinese bikes off trademe. They've taken a fair beating and are still going. As soon as you get it I would recommend pulling it to bits and sticking it back together, or at the very least going over ever nut/bolt. Other than it trying to shed parts for the first few weeks it has been a nice fun little toy.

newmanz
2nd April 2007, 12:33
Ohh that hurts :shutup:

I figured I'd give it a go, since $199 seems like a very reasonable price for such a machine.

Yeah go for it. The cheap ones are fine, just a few things to look at before you start out.

Replace the handlebar, front fork and foot peg bolts with some high tencile steel bolts from an engineering shop. Doesnt cost much and allows you to tighten everything up good and proper.

Watch the pullstarter units, the plastic ones break easy. You can replace with a metal race unit later.

Make sure your chain is running straight, sometimes the cheap bikes are not put together well, you can align up the engine and rear wheel to fix this.

Parts are very cheap but there is a big difference in quality from a $200 to a $500 bike. Check us out if you need anything. :Punk:

dman
28th April 2007, 01:34
Just found this. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/RAZZO-49CC-Gas-Scooter-Pocket-Bike-YELLOW-BLACK-SILVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90985QQitemZ1201 03303620QQrdZ1)
Why the hell would a windshield do any good on that?

"This is a racing bike and as such carries no warranty."

lol!! :rofl:

McJim
28th April 2007, 02:23
People do race those mini bikes dude. They use kart tracks like the one at Mt Wellington.

It has quite a following.

Just the other day me and Hellraiser were measuring up my section to see if we could feasibly create a mini bike circuit - would take a few days with shovels, stones and concrete but it could be done.....be great for the kids...even better for the adults on a friday night after a few beers:devil2:

CM2005
28th April 2007, 07:30
Yeah, i'm looking at buying one for my 10yearold sister. Breakaway, u buy one, tell me if its shit, and then i won't/might buy one.

crazefox
28th April 2007, 15:08
Yeah, i'm looking at buying one for my 10yearold sister. Breakaway, u buy one, tell me if its shit, and then i won't/might buy one.

mate contact newmanz he has ordered a bike for me.Nice guy to deal with and a lot of good feedback on his bikes im sure he will hook you up a good deal

pyrocam
28th April 2007, 19:05
they ARE fun, I played on one at a trackday.

dman
28th April 2007, 19:56
People do race those mini bikes dude. They use kart tracks like the one at Mt Wellington.Yup, I know about that. But was not referring to mini-bikes in general. Just that $10 bike. And specifically the part about "no warranty"! Makes sense for them to say that...

raster
28th April 2007, 20:17
This one looks cool, bit out of your price range though.
Check out how much you can spend on hotting it up.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Performance/auction-97794938.htm

skidMark
28th April 2007, 20:22
Yeah go for it. The cheap ones are fine, just a few things to look at before you start out.

Replace the handlebar, front fork and foot peg bolts with some high tencile steel bolts from an engineering shop. Doesnt cost much and allows you to tighten everything up good and proper.

Watch the pullstarter units, the plastic ones break easy. You can replace with a metal race unit later.

Make sure your chain is running straight, sometimes the cheap bikes are not put together well, you can align up the engine and rear wheel to fix this.

Parts are very cheap but there is a big difference in quality from a $200 to a $500 bike. Check us out if you need anything. :Punk:

i bought an rc car off ya way back, was a bit of fun, whyd ya stop selling rc stuff?

raster
28th April 2007, 20:26
My bro bought a couple of second hand pocket bikes, the cheep ones, the brakes needed strengthening and he had to replace many of the bolts.

Haven't completely fallen apart yet.

XTCRacing
3rd May 2007, 14:49
I have had fun on a few of these pocket bikes. Not the greatest, but bang for buck GREAT