PDA

View Full Version : So why was I having to do this?

merv
7th April 2007, 18:14
Oh, that's right its a Suzuki.

Being a person that has owned mainly Hondas since I traded my first Suzuki in 1973 I had got used to bikes that were made well. I was silly enough to buy another Suzuki in 1998 (DR250R) and kept that just over 5 years and while it was flawed for its purpose it never actually gave any mechanical trouble.

Then trying to find the right bike for Mrs merv when she returned to riding just over two years ago we settled on a DR650SE which we bought new from White Trash when he was at WMCC. Now we knew we would be getting the usual Suzuki build quality and you only get what you pay for (like SpankMe's paint job) but even I never expected it to start leaking oil but that's what it did the day I rode it up to Levin to meet Zukin and his Mrs on their fundraiser.

Now luckily it didn't seem to be anything serious, just a leak out of the cam cover so some lowly paid worker (or would it be a robot) didn't put enough silicone sealer on it when they assembled the engine. So that's what I've had to do and I finally found time to do the job late this afternoon. Here's hoping I've done a better job than Suzuki could.

As usual I always take a few pics for the record. Here it is with its top off.

wilber
7th April 2007, 18:44
Ok i'll bite ,come on now you want to say hondas dont leak oil too ,I have had 4 and 1 that I remember did leak at head too.

merv
9th April 2007, 16:45
I put a liberal coating of silicone engine joint sealer on it assembled the top of the engine and then left it while I went on the ride yesterday on the VFR.

This afternoon I got a chance to take the bike for a blat over Paekak Hill and all is looking sweet no leaks so far.

Motu
9th April 2007, 17:47
You should of used heaps of orange silicon,that black shit looks naff.

merv
9th April 2007, 18:09
What if I prefer black to orange? Once its all settled down nicely I can take the excess off anyway.

R6_kid
9th April 2007, 23:21
bro if you lived in the 70's you should know that orange is the shiz nizz, kinda like beige and brown!

xwhatsit
9th April 2007, 23:34
Heh. The blue shit all around the valve cover on my single is far better colour co-ordinated than either your orange or black stuff :D