PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Pe175 clutch problems.

jafa18
9th April 2007, 15:52
Hi all...

I have a Suzuki pe175 motor on a gokart and the clutch is not working,it used to, but it was sitting around for a long time and when i came to use it again it just didnt work.

Ive had the side cover off it today, and was going to pull the clutch off it, but its different to kawasaki motox bikes(seen them pulled apart alot), instead of a bolt holding a spring down, it has a spring with a rod through it that sits on a plate(i can get pics if need be), i need to know how to get this off, then back on,and there is also a shaft that protrudes through a centre hole that looks as though it should have a clip on it, but im unsure as i have never worked on a suzuki before.

Pretty much im looking for advice on how i can get this piece of shit working again....

Thanks in advance

Motu
9th April 2007, 17:52
What does not working mean? Drag or slip?

I will pressume since it has been sitting that it won't disengage (remember these technical terms and use them in your next question).Easiest way is to just drive around with the lever or pedal in,use heaps of on/off throttle and it should free as if nothing has happened.

If you insist on pulling it apart - you need a hook to go behind the pin and release it.I just use a bent screwdriver.

jafa18
9th April 2007, 18:52
What does not working mean? Drag or slip?

I will pressume since it has been sitting that it won't disengage (remember these technical terms and use them in your next question).Easiest way is to just drive around with the lever or pedal in,use heaps of on/off throttle and it should free as if nothing has happened.

If you insist on pulling it apart - you need a hook to go behind the pin and release it.I just use a bent screwdriver.

Not working means, when u pull in the clutch lever it does absoultely nothing...so i guess that means its not disengageing.

I think i will do what you suggest, hopefully she will free up with some use.+

Thanks for your help.

PS. Sorry for lack of technical terms...15 y/o for you...

slowpoke
9th April 2007, 19:29
I remember when a kid at school rocked up on a virtually new PE175, we all stood there gazing at it in awe. "Those were the days my friend...I thought they'd never end..." (drifts off humming, dreaming of new PE175's, XR200's, Mazda RX3's and impossibly short girls' school uniforms...)

What?
9th April 2007, 21:15

My favourite tool for this is a customised piece of high tensile fence wire. Also use a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab the pins. Or a magnet.

jafa18
10th April 2007, 13:03
Thanks for your help guys, tried the first dudes suggestion, and got it freed up first pop.....:Punk:

What?
10th April 2007, 20:59
Oil can make a difference. My CR250 used to be a bugger for the clutch not disengaging after a period of sitting, but is sweet as now, running Mobil 1 in the box.

jafa18
11th April 2007, 09:52
Oil can make a difference. My CR250 used to be a bugger for the clutch not disengaging after a period of sitting, but is sweet as now, running Mobil 1 in the box.

I might change the oil, but hopefully the clutch will get looser with a little bit of use, and i couldnt believe how immaculate the inside of the gearbox was for being over 27 years old.....

F5 Dave
17th April 2007, 10:24
The metallic parts of the plates tend to bond up together, obviously if the oil is shot & contaminated it is more likely. Try a proper 2 stroke gear oil. If you do take the clutch apart they are quite simple but those springs fantastically fiddly. Then you get the knack & they are easy.

Sadly it takes 6 springs to get the knack & you lose it after 20min. On springs I use a spoke with the titty sharpened into a hook & piece of broom handle with a hole for the grip at the other end (simple spring pull tool).

But these springs are so strong I then lever them up with a bent lever & grab the pins with pliers.

On reassembly I use the spoke tool to start & then lever them. The pins will go flying at a million miles an hour (PEs are old enough to travel in miles not km) to some remote corner if you slip. Wear eye protection.