PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Daza
12th April 2007, 19:18
Calling S.O.S,

I got me a first bike! (Suzuki RGV250) cool..the master-chainlink came off on the trip down on the trailer (I didn't notice it missing till the next day couldn't find it)...not cool..i went down to the local motorbike shop and got a new
master-link but the darn thing doesn't quite fit over the pins, the other bit that came with the master-link er the pins side, the link part can easily slot on that with no problems. As its way past closing time i cant go back and ask them and maybe try a different one.

However when i try and put it on the actual chain (which btw is still on the bike) it doesn't wanna go on. It seems it almost can. Are these normally hard to get on (ie. you need a tool) or is it suppose not too hard? or do i need to take the whole chain off (aw...gee..) and use a hammer and nail-punch tool?

I suppose you will ask do i have an O-ring chain or non-O-ring? um..er...at the motorcycle shop he showed me two possibles an o-ring type and non-o-ring (i went for the non) as it looked the same as my chain, so i thought.

(Just lookin for some pics with google images of non and O rings online (non= [/URL] and o-ring type [URL="http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50488409/O_Ring_Motorcycle_Chain.jpg"] (http://www.mxbike.com/catalog/images/DID_DHA.jpg))
they look the same to me?? Either i have brought the wrong one or i'm not doing something right..(in hindsight i should of brought one of each)..sigh..

Any words of advise would be a great help :yes:

Daza

jtzzr
12th April 2007, 19:35
I`m not trying to be a smartarse but have you loosened the rear wheel so ther`s some slack in the chain and then tried to put the master link on? What I mean is have you taken the chain off the sprocket , so there`s some slack? ( you would be amazed how many people don`t)

Daza
12th April 2007, 19:40
Yes i have loosened the rear wheel, as the chain was alittle too slack to start with, i was going to adjust chain afterwards to what is should be.

Horney1
12th April 2007, 19:51
Calling S.O.S,

I got me a first bike! (Suzuki RGV250) cool..the master-chainlink came off on the trip down on the trailer (I didn't notice it missing till the next day couldn't find it)...not cool..i went down to the local motorbike shop and got a new
master-link but the darn thing doesn't quite fit over the pins, the other bit that came with the master-link er the pins side, the link part can easily slot on that with no problems. As its way past closing time i cant go back and ask them and maybe try a different one.

However when i try and put it on the actual chain (which btw is still on the bike) it doesn't wanna go on. It seems it almost can. Are these normally hard to get on (ie. you need a tool) or is it suppose not too hard? or do i need to take the whole chain off (aw...gee..) and use a hammer and nail-punch tool?

I suppose you will ask do i have an O-ring chain or non-O-ring? um..er...at the motorcycle shop he showed me two possibles an o-ring type and non-o-ring (i went for the non) as it looked the same as my chain, so i thought.

(Just lookin for some pics with google images of non and O rings online (non= [/URL] and o-ring type [URL="http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50488409/O_Ring_Motorcycle_Chain.jpg"] (http://www.mxbike.com/catalog/images/DID_DHA.jpg))
they look the same to me?? Either i have brought the wrong one or i'm not doing something right..(in hindsight i should of brought one of each)..sigh..

Any words of advise would be a great help :yes:

Daza

Is the link "kit" two metal parts or three? On the ends of the pins are there grooves all the way around them near the open end or not?

If it's 2 parts without grooved pins it'll most likely be a "rivet" type which I seem to recall can be a bit firm (been a while since I changed one). You should really make sure you have the right link (including o-rings or not) and that it's fitted properly (especially if it's rivet job!) 'cause it's not really the sort of thing you want flying off when you're buzzing along at 100km/hr into a bend (= pain & cost). There are letters on the side of every 2 or 3 links. Give the chain a wipe and you will probably see them and be able to quote these to the parts guy.

If it's the 3 part deal then with the new link on the bottom side of the chain (as it sits on the bike) the plate goes on, then the clip should slide on over it from the rear towards the front (so the open end of the U shape faces the front & when the bike is moving it travels with the closed end going forward). A pair of pliers will help get it on. Make sure it's snug in the slots on the pins).

Of course, if it also has o-rings they will have to be fitted to.

But I think you have the first option and should get a mechanic to check and fit it by the sounds of it. If you attempt it yourself beware that using a punch incorrectly on it can warp the plate and or not give a good strong rivet and or fit it too tight so the links don't move properly.

Well, that's what I think anyway. I hope I've been of some help & not just confused you :) Oh, and if you take the chain off and rivet it you'll have to remove the swingarm to replace it - that might be a bit much for you at the moment.

Cheers

Daza
12th April 2007, 21:50
I got 3 parts, the clip, the link bit and the otherhalf of link (you know with the pins) which i don't need of course. The master-link half on my chain has a rivet all the way around on the end of each pin.

So perhaps i do have the correct link or maybe i need to try another link/brand of the same type..hmmm.. just having difficulty getting the sucker on. I will have another ago tomorrow night.

Thanks for your advice :)

Daza

Daza
13th April 2007, 22:02
Well i managed to get it sorted in the end this evening. Embarrassingly enough the solution was quite simple, since the link fitted easily on the pin-side link that came with it, i took out the old master-link that remained on the chain and put all the pieces from the set on. Then re-adjusted the chain and re-lubed it.

Lesson of the day, sometimes the answers aren't as complicated as you first think (and in the process look like a wally <_<)

Now i can start riding it! but have to wait until next wednesday as its my next day off. Hopefully it will be a sunny day! :rockon: