PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 250- no start!

wildpudding
14th April 2007, 12:26
Gidday folks,

Have aquired a gsxr 250 for my project bike, and can't get it started. Sposed to have done around 40k.

Interesting thing is it sounds like it wants to start when turned over, makes a slight popping noise. Spark is ok, fuel is getting to carbs(float bowls have fuel in them), compression also seems ok, cant figure out why it wont start.

Is there a chance I hooked up the electrics wrong, and its sparking at the wrong time? Also I covered the exhaust while turning over and felt suction pulses, could the starter motor be turning it the wrong way?

Any help would be great,
Stefan

_tui_
14th April 2007, 17:26
If I had to guess I would say the spark plug leads aren't in the right order or the timing is out, hopefully the first.
I don't really know what I'm talking about, this is purely speculation but if there is suction in the exhaust it sounds like the exhaust valves are opening at the wrong time, ie when the piston is on it's way down, I dunno

Try some ether and see what happens:Punk:
Ether helped me alot getting my gsxr250 started for the first time, and it smells good too.
Good luck

skidMark
14th April 2007, 17:33
i agree with tui, for starters check your leads are in the correct order.

_tui_
6th June 2007, 12:45
I was talking to a guy yesterday and he said that sometimes the magnets in the signal generator crack and effectively become 2 magnets, neither of which would send a signal at the right time.
This could be what's wrong with my bike but I haven't had time to check it yet so I don't know how easy it is.
The signal generator is behind the round cover on the right hand side of the motor

davereid
6th June 2007, 12:54
Start with the easy things !

Check that the plug leads are on the correct cylinders, and that the plugs are correctly gapped and are not lose (Popping sound may be gas blowing past plug).

Remove the aircleaner and give your bike a good dose of "start ya bastard" or a similar ether spray. This will ensure your bike starts, even if you have stale/watery petrol, or the choke is not working.

It can't crank the wrong way - unless you have put the battery in backwards. Negative Earth !