PDA

View Full Version : Dropping teeth

jahrasti
17th April 2007, 08:27
I need some advice from al the guru's :yes: , the gearing on the zxr400 is the stock gearing and I hardly ever touch 6th.
I am also real poo's at getting off the line so I am looking for a bit more drive.
Lastly where is the best place to get new sprockets for bike shop, etc.

Cheers

jahrasti
17th April 2007, 20:04
Bump

I would like to try a new sprocket on Friday at the motoTT track day, but don't know what to get.

Mental Trousers
17th April 2007, 20:58
Have a look at JT Sprockets (http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html) to see what sprockets are available for your bike.

Basically, if you go with less teeth on the front OR add teeth to the rear you're going to use more revs for the same speed (better acceleration).
Otherwise, if you go with more teeth on the front OR less teeth on the rear you're going to get a higher speed for the same revs (can hold revs longer).
Usually you can only go 1 tooth higher/lower on the front sprocket, otherwise you start having clearance problems.
1 tooth on the front sprocket is worth approximately 3 on the rear.
If 6th gear is virtually unused then you could quite happily go 1 tooth less on the front. If you don't want such a drastic change then go with adding 2 teeth to the rear INSTEAD.

When you figure out what you want give me a bell at work (Shane 07-889-7686) and I'll get the sprocket in that you want. They generally arrive next morning. I'm out at Morrinsville.

imdying
18th April 2007, 11:57
What are the JT ones like? Just fitted a rear to mine, seems to be of reasonably quality, not too bad looking as far as sprockets go... price was right, 42 toother cost about $50, so no complaints there.

Probably would try 3 up on the back on one of those, or one down on the front. One down on the front would be a cheaper sprocket, and I guess more likely to fit with the current chain?

Toast
18th April 2007, 12:55
JT sprockets are just fine, got one on the front.

I've got a PBR alloy job on the rear, same as Triple-R crowd use, so can't be too bad.