PDA

View Full Version : NSR250 oil mix check/set up (2 stroke)

centaurus
25th April 2007, 21:26
One of my cylinders smokes more than the other and the exhaust is wet (seems to be burned oil). I suspect the pump it putting too much oil on that cylinder.

I would like to check the mix and to correct it if it's off. Anybody around knows how to check this on a NSR250 and how to change the pump settings? Is this doable by a non professional, or I should take it to a shop? I haven't played with the oil system on a 2stroke until now, so I don't know shit about it.

Thanks.

CM2005
25th April 2007, 21:32
get a workshop manual. makes stuff waaay easier.. i dunno much bout NSR except i'd like one!

centaurus
25th April 2007, 21:58
get a workshop manual. makes stuff waaay easier.. i dunno much bout NSR except i'd like one!

Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no workshop manual in english, only in Japanese :D

Mr. Peanut
25th April 2007, 22:06
Its the top pipe (bottom cylinder) isn't it? If it disappears after a while don't worry about it, it's just excess oil.

centaurus
25th April 2007, 22:08
It's the right pipe (top cylinder). After it warms up the difference between pipes is smaller,but there still is a difference, and the "smoking" pipe is wet.

Mr. Peanut
25th April 2007, 22:12
Well my bike is the same, as long as they're both smoke after I give it shit, I'm not too bothered.

CM2005
25th April 2007, 22:15
try running a slightly hotter plug in the oily cyl maybe? i'm no expert on these... anyone got an NSR for sale? i want 250 stroker for learners.

centaurus
25th April 2007, 22:17
On the right pipe, the gasket at the connection between the pipe and the silencer is not perfectly tight. What worries me is that I've noticed black (presumably burned) oil drops on the swing arm below (dropped from the gasked leak point) and a little splatter on the silencer itself. It's not a big quantity: after an 1 h ride, a have a very small puddle on the swing arm, but it means that the cylinder gets too much oil. So I'm waisting money on oil, I will waist money on fouled plugs soon and probably losing power :angry:

Ixion
26th April 2007, 00:51
It's not possibe for a two smoker oil pump to deliver more oil to one cylinder than another. Though sometimes one cylinder gets more oil than another. This is quantum. Or dud crank seals. But two strokes in perfect condition always smoke more on one cylinder than the others (or less on one). This is either quantum, or the perverse logic of two strokes. if you want sensible , don't ride a two stroke. I wouldn't worry about it. If you worry about every weird thing that a two stroke does, you'll worry yourself into an early grave (or out of it ,as the case may be)

WRT
26th April 2007, 08:30
Nice one Ixion - straight to the point as usual. What you are trying to say is that he may or may not have a problem, that he should or shouldn't worry about, which may kill him, but also may not?

Oh, and that there is an outside chance that it's quantum - or not.

Ixion
26th April 2007, 08:35
Yes, I'd say that pretty much covered it. In an uncertain world the one certainty is that he has a two stroke, and therefore there are no other certainties. I wouldn't worry about it m'self. If you start worrying about things, the quantum will get you.

imdying
26th April 2007, 09:21
It won't be over oiling. It's just due for a rebuild, and the excess is building up because that cylinder isn't firing correctly. Probably needs piston and rings, do it before it takes the nicasil plated bore out when it blows up.