PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

The Stranger
7th May 2007, 21:31
A few weeks ago I fitted a Yohsi can and pipe which removed the SET valve on the GSXR. All good, response felt a bit cleaner, makes a little more noise and it's nice and shiny too.

Last week I had to remove the airbox on the GSXR so as we could check out some of the cable connections and routing etc as we were assembling an identical bike almost from scratch.

I put the thing back together and this is where it all gets good. It feels like there has been a hell of a power gain.
So what's the problem?

Well now when I back off the throttle the thing is growling and popping and blowing flames.

How much?
Well the number plate has started melting. Is this bad?

I hope not cause it is pulling like a school boy, sounds horney, looks cool at night time and gives me a hard on to boot.

R6_kid
7th May 2007, 22:24
Like i said dude, the motoGP and Superbikes do it so how can it bad?

If anything its just a little bit less fuel economy because the gas is being burnt in the exhaust not in the cylinder, in saying that, it is only on deceleration so who cares...

I have heard that it can burn the valves a little, but i don't know shite (maybe PM Shaun and see what he says)

2much
8th May 2007, 10:59
Noel, Did you remove the set-valve servo motor as well, or just the cable?

And usually the popping and flames are a result of removing the pair valve. this valve simply feeds air into the exhaust at low/closed throttle to ignite any unburnt fuel before it exits the exhaust for emissions. Do you know if it's still fitted?

The Stranger
8th May 2007, 11:19
Noel, Did you remove the set-valve servo motor as well, or just the cable?

And usually the popping and flames are a result of removing the pair valve. this valve simply feeds air into the exhaust at low/closed throttle to ignite any unburnt fuel before it exits the exhaust for emissions. Do you know if it's still fitted?

The servo motor is still connected, just removed the cables.

Am I correct in assuming that is the one between the 2 inlets on top of the rocker cover?
If so, it never had one.
I did note at the time that this was different to the other bike which I mentioned in the first post.

So, other than the number plate are there any other likely casualities? Because, as I say, it does feel crisper on the throttle, though that may be related to something else, i.e. I cleaned the air filter, or just in my head.

2much
8th May 2007, 12:48
Yes that's the one.

In that case no. The only casualties will be your number plate, NZ's clean green image, and any kids or small furry animals that get too close.

Fuelling hasn't changed at all, it's neither richer nor leaner... you're simply seeing what used to take place within the exhaust.

As for the new power... I suspect that in your tutu'ing, you've possibly sorted a small vacuum leak or some minor fault that was robbing some power. Plus the replacement of the standard can will have allowed the engine to breath better and make use of any other mods that have previously been done.

Enjoy!

The Stranger
8th May 2007, 12:54
Yes that's the one.

In that case no. The only casualties will be your number plate, NZ's clean green image, and any kids or small furry animals that get too close.

Fuelling hasn't changed at all, it's neither richer nor leaner... you're simply seeing what used to take place within the exhaust.

As for the new power... I suspect that in your tutu'ing, you've possibly sorted a small vacuum leak or some minor fault that was robbing some power. Plus the replacement of the standard can will have allowed the engine to breath better and make use of any other mods that have previously been done.

Enjoy!

Farken cool dude. Thank you for a serious reply.
All these other people are just perverts.

2much
8th May 2007, 13:06
It's all good mate... Check out this site sometime, it's got shitloads of info on the GSXR thou.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/gsxrindex.html

Kickaha
8th May 2007, 18:26
Mod Warning, keep it on topic

This is a technical forum only so no drivel will be tolerated.

Do not complain if you find your posts deleted unless you believe it had technical value.