PDA

View Full Version : Sump thread stripped...

BNZ
13th May 2007, 21:54
DAMMIT!!! Stripped the sump thread today changing the oil. Its been weak for a while, but now its stuffed. I put it back in and put oil in but shes slowly leaking....

I need to get the sump re-threaded. Can this be done without removing the sump from the bike, or does it leave mess in the sump? Im hoping I can drain the oil, re tap the sump and bob's ur uncle?

Advice from anyone else who has done this?

HDTboy
13th May 2007, 22:03
Pull the sump off, and take it to an engineers

Madness
13th May 2007, 22:07
Pull the sump off, and take it to an engineers

What he said. Could cost you $80 just to buy the right Tap & it will probably require building up (the hole).

rookie
13th May 2007, 22:15
Yeah you'll need to drop the sump to get rid of the swarf...cant have that floating round the big end.

You should be able to get the sump drilled out, re-tapped and helicoiled...but prob only once depending on the sump design and the amount of flange material around the sump hole.

Or you could find yourself another sump from the wreckers and safe yourself a fair bit of time and hassle....Ive done both options...2nd option was cheaper and faster.

BNZ
13th May 2007, 22:23
Hmmm, removing the sump. Approaching the limit of my mechanical limits....

Might be a job for the boys in spectrum.

HDTboy
13th May 2007, 22:48
Nah, it's a piece of piss. Pull the fairings off, remove the exhaust system, remove the sump.

Clean the sealing surfaces, use a new gasket, and put it back together. I've got a manual if you need it

BNZ
13th May 2007, 22:54
Nah, it's a piece of piss. Pull the fairings off, remove the exhaust system, remove the sump.

Clean the sealing surfaces, use a new gasket, and put it back together. I've got a manual if you need it

Cheers, ive got the manual. I will try and source a gasket tomorrow.

BNZ
14th May 2007, 14:16
The sump gasket is the only gasket I need right? No gaskets on the headers or anything?

Kflasher
14th May 2007, 14:21
DAMMIT!!! Stripped the sump thread today changing the oil. Its been weak for a while, but now its stuffed. I put it back in and put oil in but shes slowly leaking....

I need to get the sump re-threaded. Can this be done without removing the sump from the bike, or does it leave mess in the sump? Im hoping I can drain the oil, re tap the sump and bob's ur uncle?

Advice from anyone else who has done this?

Hey dude been there done that, pull the sump off as for the swaf genertaed by retapping wil get in the oil, by the way I was able to drill and tap to a larger size rather than building it up (ali sump) this also gave me extra material in the ne plug to drill for locking wire (racing).

HDTboy
14th May 2007, 15:14
Yeah, just the sump gasket

BNZ
15th May 2007, 07:56
Cheers guys. Pulled off the exhaust, radiator & sump last night :Punk:

New gasket should be here in a afew days. Will get the sump over to Spectrum today for a little tlc.

vifferman
15th May 2007, 12:22
Hey dude been there done that, pull the sump off as for the swaf genertaed by retapping wil get in the oil,
Not necessarily - if you use heavy grease the swarf won't go wandering off. In any case, even if it did go exploring inside the sump, you can flush it out with oil.

classic zed
15th May 2007, 15:03
The last few I have "Time Serted" I did withough removing the sump. PM me if you need a hand:yes:

rookie
16th May 2007, 07:06
The sump gasket is the only gasket I need right? No gaskets on the headers or anything?

um...depends on how good you are at keeping the headers gasket intact.

roadracingoldfart
16th May 2007, 07:17
You dont have to take the sump off the bike unless you cant get to it with a drill to enlarge the hole.
As stated a few posts ago all you need is a good lump of grease and a slow drill and then flush with the oil you have drained out of the engine. Replace with new oil and thats it.

BNZ
21st May 2007, 12:45
Thanks guys. I took the sump off, sent it into Spectrum and got a new gasket. $70 for the entire job. Was a good learning experience for me as well. :rockon: