PDA

View Full Version : US Motorcycle sales up as fuel prices bite

Bob
8th September 2004, 00:12
US Motorcycle sales are “at an all-time-record high” for all brands and all styles with some dealers noting increases of 50 percent over last year, according to an industry group.

"Sales are at an all-time-record high, all brands, all styles," said industry consultant John Wyckoff. His claims are based on a weekly monitoring of 60 dealerships, where he alleges all are 10 to 50 percent ahead of last year in sales. Wyckoff said. "It's a phenomenon I don't really understand. It's just amazing."

According to the Motorcycle Industry Council, sales of new motorcycles rose 6.4 percent to 996,000 in 2003. Overall, the association's latest estimates show the industry generating more than $20 billion in consumer sales and services, including around $7.5 billion in retail sales of new motorcycles.

The booming sales are in part attributed to high fuel prices.

Motu
8th September 2004, 07:48
''Helmet sales static''

merv
8th September 2004, 08:49
Lawyers gross incomes increasing.

Bob
8th September 2004, 09:02
Ahem,

Think out of the box for a moment and consider this:

I always smile when I hear about people in the US complaining about the price of fuel.

I've just found something that gives the price of fuel in the US at something like US$ 1.70 per US GALLON. Which is about £0.95 or NZ$2.62

Now compare that to my filling up tonight at a cost of £0.81 a LITRE.

And they're all complaining and switching to bikes as they're more fuel-efficient. The latter is a good thing, but the former? Just shows what a spoon-fed race they are.

Poor little baa-lambs (sorry, I know a newsie is supposed to be neutral... but stuff it! They really don't know when they're born!)

This will probably be the thing that brings down the Bush administration - not the war (most of them probably think Iraq is near Mexico... only 4% of Merkins have ever left the US and a large number never leave the State they were born in) or anything like that.

jrandom
8th September 2004, 09:31
I've just found something that gives the price of fuel in the US at something like US$ 1.70 per US GALLON. Which is about £0.95 or NZ$2.62

2.62? You checked and calculated from the current USD/NZD exchange rate, instead of pulling it out of your bottom, didn't you? All of a sudden I have more faith in your mild-mannered reporting skills :p

And based on what Google tells me about the conversion between US gallons and litres, that's NZ$0.69 a litre. We're paying about NZ$1.15 a litre for 91 RON at the moment.

Ouch.

Bob
8th September 2004, 20:11
2.62? You checked and calculated from the current USD/NZD exchange rate, instead of pulling it out of your bottom, didn't you? All of a sudden I have more faith in your mild-mannered reporting skills :p

Thank you... I think. I have the large black glasses at home as well (for domestic use only, I'd only wear them outside if I had conjunctivitis or something!)

And based on what Google tells me about the conversion between US gallons and litres, that's NZ$0.69 a litre. We're paying about NZ$1.15 a litre for 91 RON at the moment.

Ouch.

Ouch indeed. Now you see why they don't get much sympathy from me...