PDA

View Full Version : Engine making a funny noise

Indiana_Jones
17th May 2007, 18:28
My CBR250R engine is making a funnt noise when it runs. My plugs were oil fouled (I believe). Took them out, cleaned and put back in, the bike started, yay.

But when it ran this oily/water liquid came out of the exhaust (there's a little hole at the base, just before the muffler part, to drain stuff I guess?). That's not such a big deal, as that has happened in the past with no issues really.

There seems to be a rattling noise from the engine. Any idea's what this is etc?

Cheers

-Indy

Mr. Peanut
17th May 2007, 18:38
I'm no expert, but check your radiator fluid. If its creamy white you might have a blown head gasket.

wildpudding
17th May 2007, 18:42
Wouldn't really be too concerned about the stuff coming out the exhaust, more likely is condensation which is ok. However if it bluish and quite smokey, indicates your burning oil, which could mean you need engine work done.

Rattling noise? Need to be more descriptive mate, thats a pretty general statement. Is it quite loud? Can you definitly hear it come from the engine(my old FXR's exhaust cover rattled a bit cause one bolt was missing). Does the rattling get louder/increase in frequency as you rev it?

Stefan

Indiana_Jones
17th May 2007, 18:49
yea the rattling incrases in frequency as you rev. Also I tried it again now, and the noise seems to have died down a little.

-Indy

surfer
17th May 2007, 19:34
If there is nothing loose and hanging off bashing around then...don't want to scare you but 'piston slap' or 'cam chain needs replacing' pop into my mind when I hear funny engine rattle sound talked about.

Get someone to come round and have a listen that knows stuff before you do a ride on it just in case. I'd volunteer but I don't know too much about this sort of stuff.

Good luck, hope it is not serious.

Indiana_Jones
18th May 2007, 12:24
One of my work mates has suggested it might be the valves are not oiled yet as the bike has been still for a while and all the oil have drain down to the bottom and just have to wait till the pump gets the oil back up there.

That might be it? cause the rattle does sound like it's comming from the top, if I remember correctly.

-Indy

limbimtimwim
18th May 2007, 12:41
If there is nothing loose and hanging off bashing around then...don't want to scare you but 'piston slap' or 'cam chain needs replacing' pop into my mind when I hear funny engine rattle sound talked about.Gear driven cams on that one. No cam chain.

mark247
20th May 2007, 12:10
check your valve clearances, could be them.