PDA

View Full Version : HELP.....Clutch issues

notasothers
18th May 2007, 20:25
Ive got a 2 year old bike and the (cable/hydraulic)cluch doesnt seem to disengage, sometimes for up to 3 or 4 seconds even when the engine has come up to temperature.
Could this mean it's stuffed? Ive had it serviced a week ago and was working fine for a couple of rides... now each time i ride its getting progressivly worse. I use the bike to commute 10 min to and from work which can be a scary experience expecially when wanting to slow when coming up to an intersection, i want to slow but the bike doesnt...HELP.... :scooter:

98tls
18th May 2007, 20:32
Ive got a 2 year old bike and the (cable/hydraulic)cluch doesnt seem to disengage, sometimes for up to 3 or 4 seconds even when the engine has come up to temperature.
Could this mean it's stuffed? Ive had it serviced a week ago and was working fine for a couple of rides... now each time i ride its getting progressivly worse. I use the bike to commute 10 min to and from work which can be a scary experience expecially when wanting to slow when coming up to an intersection, i want to slow but the bike doesnt...HELP.... :scooter: Was it bad before the service.............how do you mean it doesnt slow.......i dont understand.....if you back off on the throttle what happens..if it doesnt slow down it has nothing to do with the clutch.........have you tried adjusting said clutch...........

Teflon
18th May 2007, 20:41
Try a oil change.. use a semi-synthetic.

notasothers
18th May 2007, 20:50
By not slowing i mean that with the clutch lever pulled in the clutch is still engaged... with the clutch still engaged the bike isnt going to stop, usually only when it gets the the point of almost stalling does it disengage. Sometimes it takes 2 seconds to disengage.. sometimes almost 10sec.
I took the bike back to the shop and got them to do a complete service on it, they acknowledged something wasnt right but after the service said it was fine. it was fine for a couple of days.. once again its slowly getting worse again.. do i push for them to replace the clutch?

98tls
18th May 2007, 20:55
Take it back to em mate........even if you have to throw it on a trailer........tell em to sort it out and you dont want it back till it is.....clutches are a fairly simple thing..........i doubt the plates/steels are naffed after two years and some adjusting would sort it.............

Spuds1234
18th May 2007, 21:08
I have a similar problem on my 87 katana. The clutch doesnt quite disengage when you pull the lever right in.

Apparently in the clutch plates there are grooves and ridges that need to be filed down (the ridges anyway). This is what the previous owner said anyway. Does this sound right?

98tls
18th May 2007, 21:15
I have a similar problem on my 87 katana. The clutch doesnt quite disengage when you pull the lever right in.

Apparently in the clutch plates there are grooves and ridges that need to be filed down (the ridges anyway). This is what the previous owner said anyway. Does this sound right? Ive seen it done on dirt bikes............the grooves are caused by the clutch basket.............on my bike anyway its all in the adjustment of outer pushrod..........

Spuds1234
18th May 2007, 21:19
Can you adjust the outer pushrod (Im not sure I even have one lol) with a hydrolic clutch?

On the old GS it was just a matter of winding the cable adjustment around a few turns and Bobs your uncle... Not so for these hydrolic clutches as far as I can tell.

98tls
28th May 2007, 16:51
Can you adjust the outer pushrod (Im not sure I even have one lol) with a hydrolic clutch?

On the old GS it was just a matter of winding the cable adjustment around a few turns and Bobs your uncle... Not so for these hydrolic clutches as far as I can tell. Must be able to............the TLS has a worm drive that i can adjust the outer push-rod with..........the TLR has Hydraulic clutch........sorry i cant help more but there must be adjustment for the push-rod

Paul in NZ
28th May 2007, 17:00
Seriously

Just ring them - be nice and polite - explain the problem and ask for their advice.

Cynos
28th May 2007, 17:02
Could this mean it's stuffed? Ive had it serviced a week ago and was working fine for a couple of rides... now each time i ride its getting progressivly worse. I use the bike to commute 10 min to and from work which can be a scary experience expecially when wanting to slow when coming up to an intersection, i want to slow but the bike doesnt...HELP.... :scooter:

Dumb question, but how lubed up is your clutch cable? I had slightly similar symptoms, and it was the cable dragging in the casing.

98tls
28th May 2007, 17:07
You could always bleed the clutch and see if it helps............