PDA

View Full Version : Running rich? (CBR250R)

Indiana_Jones
19th May 2007, 13:58
After my previous problem ( see here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50080 )

I tried to start my bike. And it wouldn't go. It's turn over give a few revs then die.

Took out one plug and it looks carbon fouled (sooty black powder). Am I running too rich? if so, how do i change the mixture on the CBR250R.

Also, should I get new plugs? the ones in my bike I dare say are the ones that left the factory (the bike has only done 10,000kms now).

Cheers

-Indy

Mr. Peanut
19th May 2007, 18:55
Your bike has done a bit more than 10000km :dodge:

jrandom
19th May 2007, 19:08
go down to the dairy, get some tequilla, place in the tank.
bike will be running fiiiiine in two days,money back guarantee.
the alcohol content cleans them up real quick.

xwhatsit
19th May 2007, 22:45
After my previous problem ( see here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50080 )

I tried to start my bike. And it wouldn't go. It's turn over give a few revs then die.

Took out one plug and it looks carbon fouled (sooty black powder). Am I running too rich? if so, how do i change the mixture on the CBR250R.

Also, should I get new plugs? the ones in my bike I dare say are the ones that left the factory (the bike has only done 10,000kms now).

Cheers

-Indy

Mixture won't just change for no reason. The bike was sitting around for a long time with the licence thing, wasn't it? Carbony plugs mean rich, yes. Perhaps your air filter needs a clean? What's the fuel like? Fresh?

I'd clean the air filter, drain and replace the fuel, put new plugs in, and give it an absolute thrashing for an hour or so, blow all the shit out of it.

Like was posted in your last thread, changing the mixture isn't as easy as twiddling the idle knob. There will be screws you can turn but that is just your idle mixture, so it probably won't fix your problem.

Bike probably just needs a good belting after lying around doing nothing for a length of time, blow out all the stuff what's clogging it up.

Indiana_Jones
20th May 2007, 12:58
Well see this is different. I've been riding it after my licence thing for about a month. And one day it just didn't want to start. So the petrol isn't old etc.

-Indy

xwhatsit
20th May 2007, 15:24
I'd still do what I wrote. You shouldn't have to change anything on the carb, I would say it's very unlikely that the carb settings would change just on their own accord unless somebody got in there and swapped jets/moved the needle shim to another clip. The air filter probably needs a good clean and re-oil (if it's that type of filter) anyway. Swap the plugs out because they're old and it removes another variable. Plus you can get a clean plug reading once you do have the system cleaned out.

It's possible that the carb float is sticking, due to crap in the fuel or dirt. Does the tank have an inline fuel filter on it? If it doesn't it might be wise to get one anyway. If the carb float is sticking, sometimes a light tap with a hammer can improve the situation.