PDA

View Full Version : Oil treatment and wet clutch?

mark247
21st May 2007, 18:50
Hey guys

I have just put some oil treatment ( I have tried Wynns stuff and just today i put Motor Up in ) in my bike to try and stop it burning oil etc. A motorcycle mechanic told me to use Motor Up, but i have been told by a guy from KB that it causes clutch slipping. Now I can totally understand how a more lubricated clutch can cause it to slip ( one reason why we use motorcycle oil ) but i know some people use car oil in there bikes with no problems as well.

Im going to try it anyway, i was told if the clutch starts to slip just put diesel oil in it for a while and that should clean all the slippery stuff off the clutch then pot normal bike oil in it again....

So i just want to know what peoples opinions are of oil treatments ( and possibly car oil ) in motorcycle engines with wet clutchs? Weather you have tried it and what results you got? Good or bad?

Thanks guys.

Drum
21st May 2007, 19:04
I think you'll find, as with most things around here, that opinion is divided.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37231&highlight=oil+treatments

mark247
21st May 2007, 19:09
I think you'll find, as with most things around here, that opinion is divided.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37231&highlight=oil+treatments

Yeah i read that thread, most of them give half ass answers and the others are off topic about petrol :S

Conquiztador
21st May 2007, 20:28
I tend to buy small bikes, fix them up and sell them on. To keep the wolves of my door. But I also enjoy the tinkering. Countless of the bikes I buy have "worn out clutches" that slip. I pay accordingly for them, taking in to account the clutch work. When I get them home, the first thing I do, after getting them started, is to empty the oil, take clutch apart, wash the clutch plates in kerosene, reassemble and fill with bike oil. This is in many cases all that is needed to fix the slipping clutch. The old owner has saved money and purchased a 4 liter car oil pack from repco and used it in the bike.

Car oils are not made for wet clutches. If your bike has a wet clutch, then don't try to save $20 by using them. It can end up costing you over $200 to sort it out.

Now I get off my soap box.

mark247
21st May 2007, 20:37
I tend to buy small bikes, fix them up and sell them on. To keep the wolves of my door. But I also enjoy the tinkering. Countless of the bikes I buy have "worn out clutches" that slip. I pay accordingly for them, taking in to account the clutch work. When I get them home, the first thing I do, after getting them started, is to empty the oil, take clutch apart, wash the clutch plates in kerosene, reassemble and fill with bike oil. This is in many cases all that is needed to fix the slipping clutch. The old owner has saved money and purchased a 4 liter car oil pack from repco and used it in the bike.

Car oils are not made for wet clutches. If your bike has a wet clutch, then don't try to save $20 by using them. It can end up costing you over $200 to sort it out.

Now I get off my soap box.

Im running a fully mineral based motorcycle engine oil, but my bike still burns oil, thats why im gonna try this Motor Up treatment. I dont think it will cause my clutch to slip for a number of reasons ( but i guess in a week i may stand corrected )

1. The Wynns stuff i used didnt cause my clutch to slip
2. Motor Up treatment is ment to make old engines run like new ( but that sounds like crap but thats what they say, but then they say they make new engines keep running like new as well ) and in my opinion, thinner oil which is more slippery ( think clutch issues ) is not going to improve an old engine, only make it worse. In old engines the thicker the oil the better i have been told.

Conquiztador
21st May 2007, 20:56
By all means, pour in Motor Up. It is your money. It will not damage the motor. But really, if you have a worn motor, do you think they sell motor reconditioning in a bottle?? Motor Up is teflon based. It will put teflon on the surfaces. It will make your motor run 2 hours without oil instead of 2 minutes. But who in their right mind runs a motor without oil??? Motor Up has a line of court cases that has gone against them.

Here:
"Dura Lube, Motor Up Settle FTC Charges
Settlements Will Bar Deceptive and Unsubstantiated Performance Claims; Dura Lube to Pay $2 Million in Consumer Redress
Additive marketers Dura Lube and Motor Up, and their principals, have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that performance claims for their engine treatments were deceptive and unsubstantiated in violation of federal law. The two proposed settlements will bar false and unsubstantiated claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy, or attributes of these products. In addition, Dura Lube will pay $2 million in consumer redress to be distributed by the FTC. The FTC has previously halted allegedly deceptive ads for Prolong Engine Treatment, Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment and STP Engine Treatment.

"Consumers deserve advertising that is truthful and performance claims that are substantiated," said Jodie Bernstein, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection. "The FTC intends to make sure they get it."

In FTC complaints issued against Motor Up on April 8, 1999 and Dura Lube on April 29, 1999, the agency alleged that the companies used false and unsubstantiated claims to promote their engine treatments. One administrative trial proceeded against Motor Up Corporation, its subsidiary Motor Up America, and their principal, Kyle Burns. Another went forward against Herman S. Howard, Scott Howard and six Dura Lube corporations they control. The proposed settlements announced today resolve those complaints and end the trial process."

For more go to: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2000/03/motor.shtm

mark247
21st May 2007, 21:00
By all means, pour in Motor Up. It is your money. It will not damage the motor. But really, if you have a worn motor, do you think they sell motor reconditioning in a bottle?? Motor Up is teflon based. It will put teflon on the surfaces. It will make your motor run 2 hours without oil instead of 2 minutes. But who in their right mind runs a motor without oil??? Motor Up has a line of court cases that has gone against them.

Here:
"Dura Lube, Motor Up Settle FTC Charges
Settlements Will Bar Deceptive and Unsubstantiated Performance Claims; Dura Lube to Pay $2 Million in Consumer Redress
Additive marketers Dura Lube and Motor Up, and their principals, have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that performance claims for their engine treatments were deceptive and unsubstantiated in violation of federal law. The two proposed settlements will bar false and unsubstantiated claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy, or attributes of these products. In addition, Dura Lube will pay $2 million in consumer redress to be distributed by the FTC. The FTC has previously halted allegedly deceptive ads for Prolong Engine Treatment, Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment and STP Engine Treatment.

"Consumers deserve advertising that is truthful and performance claims that are substantiated," said Jodie Bernstein, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection. "The FTC intends to make sure they get it."

In FTC complaints issued against Motor Up on April 8, 1999 and Dura Lube on April 29, 1999, the agency alleged that the companies used false and unsubstantiated claims to promote their engine treatments. One administrative trial proceeded against Motor Up Corporation, its subsidiary Motor Up America, and their principal, Kyle Burns. Another went forward against Herman S. Howard, Scott Howard and six Dura Lube corporations they control. The proposed settlements announced today resolve those complaints and end the trial process."

For more go to: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2000/03/motor.shtm

Yep i saw that stuff on the net before when i was doing a bit of research. But still it seems to be a very popular product.

And i must say, although i love the place, about the law suit, thats america for ya!

Conquiztador
21st May 2007, 21:04
Tell me one reputable racer that pours Motor Up in their machine?? I have heard of none.

If it was that good, don't U think everyone would use it?

mark247
21st May 2007, 21:19
Tell me one reputable racer that pours Motor Up in their machine?? I have heard of none.

If it was that good, don't U think everyone would use it?

Look mate, im not disagreeing with you. Im sure the stuff isnt all its made up to be. But i dont think racers ride 1987 motorbikes that have done 70,000km and get ridden at least 60km every day. Im not expecting it to fix all my problems, but if you have read other threads by me i have tried many ways to stop my bike burning oil, i am just trying to find a way to make my bike burn less oil.

My last resort would be to get the actual valve guides replaced ( not cheap ) and get brand new rings made for my bike.

Mr. Peanut
21st May 2007, 21:23
If it's burning oil, use cheaper oil! Be happy, you've got a constant loss system. Your oil should stay pretty clean! :killingme

mark247
21st May 2007, 21:25
coming from a guy that rides a 2 stroke :rockon: good on ya.

JMemonic
22nd May 2007, 08:55
Im running a fully mineral based motorcycle engine oil, but my bike still burns oil, thats why im gonna try this Motor Up treatment. I dont think it will cause my clutch to slip for a number of reasons ( but i guess in a week i may stand corrected )

I had the same issue when I did the first oil and filter change on the bike, used and expensive mineral oil that for motorcycles, it started smoking and consumed oil like it was a 2 stroke, but oddly the clutch felt a tad better. I went and grabbed another filter, and a 4 litre pack of motorcycle oil that was about half the price but I had seen it in a few bike shops locally so I thought I would try it, the result was immediate it stopped smoking it did not visibly consume any oil, the clutch felt 100% better. My conclusion was the previous owner had used cheap car oil in it, this is supported by all the other faults I found after I binned it.

1. The Wynns stuff i used didnt cause my clutch to slip

If you used the one that is supposed to stop smoking engines I suspect it would not as it just thickens the oil and is supposed to clean out the build up of oil around the rings.

2. Motor Up treatment is ment to make old engines run like new ( but that sounds like crap but thats what they say, but then they say they make new engines keep running like new as well ) and in my opinion, thinner oil which is more slippery ( think clutch issues ) is not going to improve an old engine, only make it worse. In old engines the thicker the oil the better i have been told.

That is great marketing for you, but if thicker oil is supposed to be better then why don't they make say an SAE 90 for engines, as has been stated here it might be wise to consider a rebuild. In the end the choices are yours but I offer my experience in a similar situation, anything that is a friction modifier is not going to do your clutch any good at all

mark247
22nd May 2007, 16:57
Road bike to tech today ( 50km all up id say ) and it hasnt started slipping yet lol

Sensei
22nd May 2007, 17:47
I put Moto-up in my GSXR1100R which I dragged for the time I had it 6ys & sold it with the original clutch plates in it from new . Never slipped once in 40+ launches .

mark247
22nd May 2007, 17:50
I put Moto-up in my GSXR1100R which I dragged for the time I had it 6ys & sold it with the original clutch plates in it from new . Never slipped once in 40+ launches .

thats what i want to hear:rockon:

Max Preload
23rd May 2007, 13:30
Yep i saw that stuff on the net before when i was doing a bit of research. But still it seems to be a very popular product.

Like they say, there's one born every minute. :yes: