PDA

View Full Version : A mate has just got an 99 r6

owner
27th May 2007, 11:20
It has 32thou/km on the clock with some evidence of a it being a track bike.
after my cam chain nightmare. We want do everything possible so the engine doesnt expolde. He wants to just put a new cam chain tensioner in and get the valve clearances set.
Im telling him to put a new cam chain on as well :argue:

Is there any point putting a new tensioner on and not doing the chain

Whats the standard price for getting new cam chain put on?

riffer
27th May 2007, 21:23
All right, I'll bite.

What makes you think that an R6 with 32,000kms on the clock needs a new chain tensioner?

Is it just your paranoia from your previous bike, or is it really really rattly (and not just at idle)?

Please explain your motives, thanks.

R6_kid
27th May 2007, 21:32
All right, I'll bite.

What makes you think that an R6 with 32,000kms on the clock needs a new chain tensioner?

Is it just your paranoia from your previous bike, or is it really really rattly (and not just at idle)?

Please explain your motives, thanks.

If it hasnt already been replaced the R6 WILL need a new cam chain tensioner.

The 1999 model turned out to have one that tend to go faulty after about 34,000km, it gets replaced with a superceeding part from the next model. I have one which he can have cheap out of my bikes old engine. It's got about 20,000km on it (probably a bit less).

Only thing to watch on the R6 is to keep the oil in check, it will burn a bit of oil if pushed hard, so it pays to keep a small bottle of your preferred brand handy because many gas stations do not stock bike oil.

The clutch will probably start to slip at around 50,000km if he does wheelies and the like, but otherwise it should run pretty nice.

My suggestion is that he gets a steering damper, runs decent sport tyres, sets up the suspension and possibly lowers the tripples through 5-10mm (but only with steering damper), then get sintered pads and some braided lines.

What is wrong with asking questions if you are not sure of something? I would rather look like n00b - ask and solve the problem, than have something fuck out and be left thinking - damn i should have asked about this when i got the bike. Isn't that what KB is for?

oh, and valve clearances aren't due til 42,000km but getting it done earlier won't hurt. Just make sure he sticks to the servicing intervals there on in. I have a copy of the workshop manual on CD somewhere if he wants it.

The other thing to watch is overheating wires from the alternator/stator to the reg/rec. Some people have upgraded to a thicker gauge wire to help carry the current. I had this problem also.

check out www.r6-forum.com there are guys there who are 5-star Yamaha trained mechanics and they will answer your questions pretty quickly and are generally really helpful.

riffer
27th May 2007, 21:47
Good post there R6_kid. :yes: Answers my question as to why on earth a modern bike would require attention so early in its life.

I guess I've been spoiled with my RF with its bullet-proof motor. 105,000 kms and still on the original camchain, clutch, and probably the original shims too...

R6_kid
27th May 2007, 21:57
You can't expect the first version of anything to be 100% sorted. Though with todays engineering ability you would think it would be pretty close. You'll still find bits and pieces replaced on bikes under warranty, but with a bike that old it is out of warranty now so you have to ask to find out!

Coyote
27th May 2007, 22:01
Where did you get it from? Was the guys name Damian?

owner
27th May 2007, 22:25
Thanks heaps, loads of good info there . I thought there wouldn't be a point in replacing only the tensioner not the chain also. It seems I was wrong:doh: Its red and white from Hamtown its got a full system and fancy red rearsets,braided lines, Ill tell him to sign to that forum. He reckons hes got a manual coming from some where So thanks for the offer

Panther
27th May 2007, 22:27
doesn't that year have a poo gear box?
i hope your mate didn't pay more than two dollars for it

R6_kid
27th May 2007, 22:38
doesn't that year have a poo gear box?
i hope your mate didn't pay more than two dollars for it

depends how much you thrash it... i did a lot of clutchless shifting (up and down, and used it to learn wheelies, so it got a thrashing)... i've since learnt that clutchless down shifting is a big no-no.

R6_kid
27th May 2007, 22:40
Thanks heaps, loads of good info there . I thought there wouldn't be a point in replacing only the tensioner not the chain also. It seems I was wrong:doh: Its red and white from Hamtown its got a full system and fancy red rearsets,braided lines, Ill tell him to sign to that forum. He reckons hes got a manual coming from some where So thanks for the offer

i got told the chain didnt need to be done at the time, but did anyway, did the cam chain guides (black plastic bits) too. It's like $80 for the tensioner and $100 labour i think, or buy it and do it yourself, it's really not that hard!

Panther
27th May 2007, 22:48
its general knowledge that pre 02 r6s have faulty gear boxes, i learnt that in class

bistard
28th May 2007, 08:38
its general knowledge that pre 02 r6s have faulty gear boxes, i learnt that in class

Nah,thats bollocks,ive got an 01 R6,never had any issues with gearbox,in fact I've not had any issues at all,apart from Jay lawrence crashing it

owner
28th May 2007, 19:10
So you got a new cam chain R6-kid? I took it for a spin and the gearbox is butter smooth. sallo .... I learnt in class if you ride rainbow poo for to long leprechaun's stick things in your bottom.:yes:

saul
28th May 2007, 19:18
So you got a new cam chain R6-kid? I took it for a spin and the gearbox is butter smooth. sallo .... I learnt in class if you ride rainbow poo for to long leprechaun's stick things in your bottom.:yes:

lol it was worth the read to get to here lol:sunny: :rockon: