PDA

View Full Version : How to get conrod off

BlackMDK
5th June 2007, 18:47
I got crank out of GN250vbut i cannot see how to get conrod off. Nothing in service manual about it. I tried taking the crank apart but it does not move. Any ideas?

jrandom
5th June 2007, 19:03
You got crank out of a GN250? Was it coiled in a plastic tube at the bottom of the gas tank? Anyway, if you can't move it, I have a few guys I could call, you know.

When it comes to getting Conrod off, I find that a steady stroke and even pressure wins the day every time.

BlackMDK
5th June 2007, 20:21
I cannot say that was easy getting crank out and main bearing off, it took almost 2 hours If anybody interested I can post how to (when I asked around last time how to I got some answers like that is “trade secret”). But right now I can see that I came to the end of what can be done in DIY shop Ii might be wrong here). So I’m looking for some serious help from people that done it this sorts of stuff.

Richard Mc F
5th June 2007, 20:35
bigger hammer

Paul in NZ
5th June 2007, 20:44
If it's not got an end cap and 2 bolts it's probably a pressed up crank? Needs to be unpressed??

Kickaha
5th June 2007, 20:47
They're a pressed up crank, you'll need a press to get it apart, they don't unbolt.

Why do you want to get it apart?

BlackMDK
5th June 2007, 20:53
because conrod makes scratching noise when moved and has play of about 2mm on pin so my guess is that bearing is completly destroyed and more. And yes crank is pressed

Richard Mc F
5th June 2007, 21:03
ooooooooooohh it sounds bad........pm me I have access to a press..have done the odd crank.....price a s/h engine up cause if has spit the bearing the metal will be all through the engine..didja run it out of oil ?

BlackMDK
5th June 2007, 22:33
yes metal is all over the engine and no i did not run out of oil i got this as a project on budget. Guy said he thinks it is gearbox (nothing wrong with gear box). Bike was sitting on a back yard for 5 years. I'm not keen on second hand engine as this one inside looks in very good conditon except for crank/conrod.

Conquiztador
6th June 2007, 19:51
it is a press job. One of the only jobs (apart from re-bore) that I let pro's do for me. So easy to stuff it up. And when U have the new parts and re-assemble, it is a precision job to align everything properly.

BlackMDK
6th June 2007, 21:57
So does anybody have good crank assembly lying around from GN250 or GZ250.
Or maybe can sell me conrod kit?

xwhatsit
6th June 2007, 22:37
DR250s use the same engine too, don't they? So that's another possible source.