PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil - where from??

Donor
9th June 2007, 19:08
Okay, so another KB member took my ZZR out for a wee bit of a blip today.

Upon his return, there was a noticeable series of drips of oil on the ground.

The bizarre thing was, it was definitely engine oil, yet it was clean, never been molested by top or bottom end components, and damned if I can see exactly where it's coming from!

Leaks down across the bottom hose of the cooling fluid bottom.

Took a few snaps (well, GI... I mean the other KB guy took some) and have pathetically attempted to show the afflicted area. Some weird black boxy thing, where a hole has mysteriously appeared.

(Sheesh, GI, help me out here, beer is clouding my description circuitry!)

Anyone come across this before, and able to let me know just how much groveling to the wife this is liable to cost me??

Jeaves
9th June 2007, 21:01
hmm ,want to post those pics?

Failing that , i could have a looksie at it tomorrow for ya.

gijoe1313
9th June 2007, 21:40
Fark'n bluddy typical! Tch! :doh:

He still hasn't posted the piccies up! All good and well ... I bet when he looks at it in the morning, it'd be all hunky-dory! :innocent:

And yes, I did have fun blatting Rosey around Maraetai/Whitford/Twilight and back to her resting place! :yes:

Donor
9th June 2007, 22:51
Sigh... got to stop posting when drunk...

Pics as below...

Donor
9th June 2007, 22:53
There are marked circles with arrows, you just need to look real close... I suck with photo editing, MS paint is NOT my friend, nor is Mr Beer when posting pics...

tl_tub
9th June 2007, 23:28
From the airbox no? Valve cover or crank case breather goes into the airbox and depending on the bike sometimes spews too much oil in there. Dont know the bike but it looks like the airbox to me

xwhatsit
10th June 2007, 02:00
Yep that's the airbox.

I wouldn't worry. Justin was probably giving it shit and got the engine a bit hot. Done an oil change recently? There's not a touch too much oil in it?

Wouldn't worry unless it happens again -- the crankcase breather tube is just breathing, which is what it's designed to do. Check oil level each time before a ride so you don't run dry unawares and see if it continues to happen.

Donor
10th June 2007, 10:48
Huzzah!

Off to the Man Cave™ for tinkering!

Yes, a service was done, and I believe a sizable surplus of oil was put in.

Sigh... it's just not easy really, is it?

breakaway
10th June 2007, 12:45
Sigh... it's just not easy really, is it?

That's part of the fun ;) If everything was sweet 100% of the time, life would be no fun.

Donor
10th June 2007, 15:14
hmm ,want to post those pics?

Failing that , i could have a looksie at it tomorrow for ya.

Coffee's hot... :D

Squiggles
10th June 2007, 15:53
so how far up the sight glass is the oil? or how far over do you have to tip her to not see oil in it? :dodge:

Donor
10th June 2007, 16:25
so how far up the sight glass is the oil? or how far over do you have to tip her to not see oil in it? :dodge:

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I am a dumbass... :baby:

On a lighter note, she's back together, and after a quick degrease, and a nice engine heating session, all dripping seems to have abated.

...I think I need a beer...

Squiggles
12th June 2007, 10:51
haha, im be along on the next pootle to see for myself then :lol: and to show off the wheels i'll have picked up :Punk: