PDA

View Full Version : '90 GPX buzzing sound after turning off, near engine/clutch area.

zeocen
11th June 2007, 15:31
As title states, I came home from running a few errands late at night (11:30pm ish) so I was stopping and starting a bit throughout the ride. As I put the behemoth in the garage and shut everything off I heard a buzzing sound, at first I thought it was the radiator fan but it didn't sound anything like it, so I had a closer inspection and heard that the buzzing was coming from under, near the engine area on the clutch lever side.

I was getting pretty worried as it was doing it for a good minute or so, I went to pull out my camera to video the sound and where it was coming from but as I did it died down and eventually came to a stop. It almost sounded like water rapidly bubbling through a pipe or something, but I saw nothing dripping and the bike is still running well (still starts up first go, went and rode around today and it was still going like a beast, and does the things it should, well enough for a 17 year old bike).

So yeah, anyone have an idea? It worries me that it could be something that may lead to something bigger/expensive.

Thanks in advance!

MSTRS
11th June 2007, 15:38
It'll be the fan. Point of origin with strange sounds can be difficult to pick. All the water pipes are on the other side of the engine.

zeocen
11th June 2007, 16:02
I'm terribly mechanically inept, sorry :dodge: ... but which fan are you talking about? The radiator fan?

MSTRS
11th June 2007, 17:18
Is there another sort on a bike? :innocent:

zeocen
11th June 2007, 17:29
:shifty:
It's just that I've heard the fan before, and it's definately coming out of a different place and I checked the temp gauge, it was still under 1/4. So yeah :/

It was a buzzing noise, but I'm not 100% sure it sounded like a fan.

zeocen
11th June 2007, 22:19
Anxious bump for a helpless sap :(

Squiggles
12th June 2007, 10:47
isnt something caught on your fan? like a leaf, had a walnut stuck between my front guard and wheel on the gn... that sounded interesting

zeocen
12th June 2007, 11:08
I'm pretty sure it isn't. And I'm pretty sure it's not the fan, it just isn't coming from the proper area and the noise didn't really sound like a fan.. so I've got no idea :/

jonbuoy
12th June 2007, 11:08
Water bubbling through a hose or expansion tank? Are you loosing water?