PDA

View Full Version : Softening the clutch - is it possible?

jackon2wheels
11th June 2007, 22:08
I am reletively new to motorbiking - 2 years. My current bike is a Hyosung GT250R. It is still in its break-in period. I quite enjoy riding it - at least first half an hour. The clutch lever on the thing is so stiff that my left hand gets numb and hurts like hell. After a while it starts effecting my riding, gear changing and concentration. I am trying to find out if it is possible to soften the clutch lever tension.

Shadows
11th June 2007, 23:48
If you perservere I'm sure you'll condition yourself to it but you could consider the below.

It is possible that the angle of the lever is wrong in relation to your forearm - although I think that would be more likely to make your wrist hurt than your hand.
When sitting on the bike holding the handlebars, if you reach out for the lever your hand should be extended at roughly the same angle as your forearm. If not then you should adjust the controls up or down to suit.

Another thing could be the clutch adjustment, if the clutch engages too far out in the lever travel then most of your clutch control effort is also happening when your hand is nearly fully extended - this can make the back of your hand hurt like hell after a while. You could try loosening the cable adjustment a quarter turn or so to begin with, so that this work is done (slightly) closer to the handlebar and the use of different muscles comes into play.

Simply lubing the cable can sometimes make a small difference.

Failing the above, just think yourself lucky you haven't got a heavy duty Harley clutch to deal with.

Shadows
12th June 2007, 23:00
Hehehe - or there is this... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-103676098.htm?p=45

Brian d marge
13th June 2007, 12:35
Or you can change the clutch springs for weaker but longer ones so they have the same clamping force , but are not as stiff

I do this with my CR , put 06 springs in , they are longer but the wire diameter is smaller

First though , make sure the clutch is doing what it should , cable free adjusted pivot lubed etc

Stephen

Crasherfromwayback
13th June 2007, 13:07
If all of the good suggestions above still don't help you.......you could have the lever down on the cases lengthend....this will ease the effort required to pull the clutch in.

trumpy
13th June 2007, 17:37
Used to have a clutch lever on my dirt bike on which you could alter the pivot point to change the lever thus change the amount of effort required. This was an aftermarket item for all dirt bikes (not brand specific), don't know if there is one for road bikes though.
Downside is of course the less effort you have the longer the lever travel.