PDA

View Full Version : FEMA oppose French recommendation for Daytime Running Lights for all vehicles

Bob
16th September 2004, 02:48
The French Transport Ministry has recommended Daytime Running Lights (DRL) for all vehicles, with a national try-out to be held from 30th October 2004 to 27th March 2005.

The Federation of European Motorcyclists Association (FEMA) has expressed its reservations, as well as on the method used in a study undertaken by research institutes Swov and TNO at the request of the European Commission.

In 2002, FEMA, along with other vulnerable road users associations, stopped a proposal from the car industry to the European Commission to fit all new vehicles sold in Europe with Automatic Headlights On (AHO). Following that campaign, EU Member States declared within the Council Of Ministers that further research was necessary to thoroughly look into the effects of DRL on vulnerable road users.

At the request of the European Commission, Dutch research institutes Swov and TNO undertook a study (http://www.tm.tno.nl/product/res_vh_22.html). On the basis of tests carried out in a laboratory, the conclusion is there are no major risks resulting from DRL for vulnerable road users.

FEMA has questioned the results, as the tests were conducted in front of a computer to watch pictures involving at the most two vehicles. FEMA will be pointing out to the European Parliament that in reality, drivers and riders have to manage the handling of their own vehicle and also concentrate on a dynamic and more complex traffic environment, particularly in urban areas.

moko
17th September 2004, 18:13
I`m a bit confused here Bob because I thought all bike headlights in Europe were "wired on" as from last year at the same time the "Fazer-killer" noise regs came in.

Bob
17th September 2004, 20:12
I`m a bit confused here Bob because I thought all bike headlights in Europe were "wired on" as from last year at the same time the "Fazer-killer" noise regs came in.

Don't worry, you're not alone! Everyone I know who has read this has automatically talked about bike lights. Which, as you say, are hard-wired.

But now, the French are trialling ALL vehicles running lights all the time.

To me, this means we lose any advantage we have of our lights being switched on - ride a bike with a single front light? Get it aligned by accident with a truck... and you become effectively invisible.

I'm pretty sure that tests in the past have shown that daylight headlights on can actually REDUCE people's ability to judge speed and distance... but the governments don't want to hear this.

Hence FEMA trying to get this stopped in the past - and carrying on the fight.