PDA

View Full Version : Friction plates install, but grabbing

zelto
15th June 2007, 17:07
I am replacing the friction plates in my clutch (steel plates are straight and cool).1986 gsx 750 esg.Despite the incredibly unfortunate bit of luck when my socket fell into the sump through a hole 1 mm bigger than the socket situated just behind the clutch ,which will mean splitting the sump and removing the entire exhaust system to get the bugger back, ggggrrr!!
The friction plates are not sliding sweetly into place.The old ones came off easy , the new ones are grabbing on one or 2 of the protruding lugs.I could get them on, but it will mean forcing them, so its a waste of time as they need to be sliding truely for the clutch to work well.I have had a suggestion from a mechanic to file the actual clutch housing , this seems pretty dramatic to me.I tend to opt for sanding down the sides of the lugs on the friction plates-but i aint no pro-.I have compared the old and new plates and hell they do look to be the same size , so i am sure its not a wrong size part issue..They are only just grabbing and no more, but you know it just dont feel right.
Any bright ideas guys and girls.P.S is it okay if the friction plates end up soaking in oil for 3 or 4 days before this all gets finished, it wont soften or weaken them? cheers. not wild yet, but getting there.

tri boy
15th June 2007, 17:46
First check that the basket fingers have smooth edges where the plate lugs fit.
If there is a corrugated surface, lightly file them smooth. This enables a smooth engage/disengage of the clutch.(probably what the mechanic meant).
If the fit is still tight, carefully file away some (.2mm) approx of the plate lugs, or until they slide in the basket smoothly.
2 questions: Are the plates genuine or after market? (genuine should fit easy)
Are you installing the plates one at a time, or trying to install a clutch hub assembly? (Hub assemblies can "hang up" on the drive spline of the steel plates)
So long as the plates have been in motorcycle engine oil they should be fine. You could wrap them in rags if you prefer. Hope this helps.
Oh.... welcome to the site.

zelto
15th June 2007, 20:24
tri boy, thanks for your prompt reply, they are after market parts-too tempting $140 as opposed to $300 plus, but i guess thats part of the reason hu.I am installing them one at a time.I will do what you suggest and smooth out the fingers, then take some off the plates.cheers for the welcome.