PDA

View Full Version : I think I just destroyed my clutch.

caesius
18th June 2007, 20:30
Went to fill up with gas before, let the bike warm up for a minute because my driveways steep, got going, got to the top of my driveway, onto the road, opened the throttle and *CLANK* then suddenly felt like I was in neutral. Tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd, nothing. Makes a rattling noise when I push it now.

Have I just rooted my bike?

1991 KR-1SP, standard everything.

tri boy
18th June 2007, 20:41
Probably not "Rooted". But sounds like your about to get your hands dirty.:angry:

Conquiztador
20th June 2007, 09:21
Would be surprised if your clutch is gone. But it sounds like it is time to strip the gearbox.

Good Luck

caesius
20th June 2007, 16:18
Wow. Am I sure relieved. After an inspection in the daylight I saw that the chain had come right off the sprocket.

I must have had the chain too loose? How much play should the chain actually have?

twinkle
20th June 2007, 16:29
about 25-30mm at the tightest point.

tri boy
20th June 2007, 16:30
Thats good news.:yes:
Chain should have about 25-40mm of slack, about midway between sprockets with your weight on the bike.
Check the chain for tight spots after adjustment. Check sprockets for worn/hooked teeth.

avgas
20th June 2007, 16:38
What a special moment.....when you first realize the chain has fallen off.
I remember mine.

Conquiztador
20th June 2007, 23:57
It often means that your backwheel/sprocket is not in alignment with the front sprocket. With a good chain U can normally have it quite loose as long as the alignment is OK. So have a close look at it. If I can not see the sprockets clearly enough I take off the chain and check that the sprockets align up. Place bike on central stand, lie down and look from the backwheel forward. The sprockets should be in-line. Then when U fit the chain U tighten/loosen both sides the same amount of turns to keep it in line. If this makes the backwheel not to align up with the front wheel, then U might have a bent frame...

Good Luck.

Crasherfromwayback
21st June 2007, 02:49
1991 KR-1SP, standard everything.

An SP? If you've got one of those.....not simply a KR1S.....Mark Boyle and myself made them!
Any 'tuning' tips or advice you may want....feel free to PM me and I'll let you know what does what!

Wow. Am I sure relieved. After an inspection in the daylight I saw that the chain had come right off the sprocket.

I must have had the chain too loose? How much play should the chain actually have?

The chain is probably fucked.....and as was posted above....check wheel alignment. Both sprockets are more than likely ready for the great sprocket graveyard in the sky too.

The chain should have around 25-35mm slack with bike upright but no rider aboard. The tightest the chain will be is when the swingarm is parallel with the ground. So provided you've got enough slack to not let it get tight when it is parallel....you're good to go!