PDA

View Full Version : Diesel bike speed record set

Bob
17th September 2004, 00:03
Two diesel-powered motorcycles have set land speed records exceeding 85 mph at the first International Motorcycle Speed Trials at Bonneville, Utah.

"We've established records for others to try to match,' said Fred Hayes, president of Hayes Diversified Technologies Inc. "But I believe these motorcycles can achieve much higher speeds. They're capable of exceeding 100 mph.'

The two bikes, whose 33 and 50-plus horsepower engines power a modified Kawasaki KLR-650 chassis, are the world's first specially-built diesel motorcycle engines.

The company now plans to move into production in the near future.

Mongoose
17th September 2004, 00:21
Two diesel-powered motorcycles have set land speed records exceeding 85 mph at the first International Motorcycle Speed Trials at Bonneville, Utah.

"We've established records for others to try to match,' said Fred Hayes, president of Hayes Diversified Technologies Inc. "But I believe these motorcycles can achieve much higher speeds. They're capable of exceeding 100 mph.'

The two bikes, whose 33 and 50-plus horsepower engines power a modified Kawasaki KLR-650 chassis, are the world's first specially-built diesel motorcycle engines.

The company now plans to move into production in the near future.

What about them Enfields, or are they not specially built to run on diesel?

Bob
17th September 2004, 01:37

Oh Dear Me - I do beleive you are correct. Not 100% sure if they're still being manufactured, but I think they were domestic market only.

I stand to be corrected...

Motu
17th September 2004, 07:34

The Enfields have a diesel engine yes,but it's not a motor designed specificaly for motorcycles,they are just a staionary motor adapted.The Hayes diesel bikes have been made only for motorcycle use.

sAsLEX
17th September 2004, 09:08
wouldn't the turbine bike manufactured in the states hold that, they run on diesel and even though they did feature in that 'movie' torque they do exist.

Bob
17th September 2004, 09:09
The Enfields have a diesel engine yes,but it's not a motor designed specificaly for motorcycles,they are just a staionary motor adapted.The Hayes diesel bikes have been made only for motorcycle use.

Nice one! Thanks for clearing that up.

vifferman
17th September 2004, 09:19
The two bikes, whose 33 and 50-plus horsepower engines power a modified Kawasaki KLR-650 chassis, are the world's first specially-built diesel motorcycle engines.Wonder if these are the ones the US military use?
"The photo shows the current issue M1030 M1 Diesel Kawasaki motorcycle approved by the US Military. It's expected to be adopted by Great Britain and the Pentagon's peace keeping forces as well. This machine (with a kaki paint job) is being deployed with forces near Afghanistan now. It's basically a Kawasaki KLS 650 that has been modified to run on diesel fuel instead of gasoline. Motorcycle are the last remaining vehicles in common use on the modern battle field with a need for gasoline. The 584cc water cooled engine puts out 24hp. and can get up to 120 MPG. The diesel powerplant is much more durable than it's petroleum burning counterpart and has even better cross country ability. It produces the desired bottom end power for low speed maneuvers and ascending steep grades with it's re-geared Kawasaki transmission. Maximum speed is about 80 MPH. It should also fair much better in submerged conditions like other military diesels (no spark plugs or wires to short out). "