PDA

View Full Version : Viewing oil level

rwh
22nd June 2007, 19:17
Usually, the time I want to check my oil is when I get home, since the recommendation is to do it after running the engine. When I get home, it's dark. Somehow, however I try to shine a light on the little window, I just get reflections and still can't see anything. The only way seems to be large amounts of ambient light, which is something my garage isn't particularly well equipped with.

Any tips & tricks?

Richard

onearmedbandit
22nd June 2007, 19:23
Do it in the morning after you ride to work. Obvious.

Drum
22nd June 2007, 19:28
Torch works for me.

rwh
22nd June 2007, 21:00
Do it in the morning after you ride to work. Obvious.

Obvious indeed. Now I just have to arrange to not be running very late for work ... and make sure I find a park with space beside it.

I should have more of a play with a torch, too (and put one handy ...).

Thanks,

Richard

s8306
23rd June 2007, 15:52
I always check the oil before start up to get accurate reading.Checking the oil after the bike has been running to me seems pointless as a certain amount will still be hung up in the motor until it drains down.

rwh
23rd June 2007, 16:04
I always check the oil before start up to get accurate reading.Checking the oil after the bike has been running to me seems pointless as a certain amount will still be hung up in the motor until it drains down.

Seems a little odd to me too, but that's what the manuals usually say. Run it then leave it a few minutes. I dunno - but I guess they have a reason.

Richard

mark247
23rd June 2007, 17:16
If it is a dry sump then i would recommend take the bike for a ride, get back, leave the bike for 10 minutes, then put the bike up on the centre stand ( or balance it upright ) and then check the glass. If you find it is too dark then it is quite possible the glass is actually covered entirely in oil ( over filled. ) If so, lean the bike over a bit and check the oil again and see if you can see the top of it, if so, then dont worry about it, because a little overfill isnt a problem. If you can see inside the entire then it is obviously not fill enough.

When i first purchased my bike i found it was overfilled a bit and that made me think that the oil level glass was just covered in gunk. But i turned the bike on ( sucking oil up into the engine ) and it all came clear instantly. So obviously the pervious owner had over filled it a bit.

If you still cant see anything through the glass, take your fairings off, and on a sunny day put the bike outside and see if you can see anything, if not, turn the bike on and see if you can see anything then, and if you can, then its overfill a bit.

If it is a dry sump ( has an oil tank ) then you are ment to run the bike until the oil is warm ( go for a good ride ) , then let the bike idle for 5 minutes, then turn the bike off and check the oil instantly, if you let the bike sit for over 2 minutes you will be a false reading.