PDA

View Full Version : Missing clutch!

Rincewind
8th July 2007, 20:51
Just took my Daughter out for her third lesson on one of our local car parks.
We bought a little DR 200 Suzuki for her to learn on and it has been well behaved untill today.
I usually ride it to the car park and she follows in her car,but today she rode pillion and took over when we got there.
The bike performed well and gave no warning of what was to come...

Got back home and parked up,had a coffee and then went out a couple of hours later to do the car/Bikes shuffle to get everything back in the garage and the DR cuts out as soon as you engage first gear,the motor starts but as soon as you click down the gear shift it stalls !!!!
There is plenty of resistance on the clutch lever and I can see the the buisness end of the cable on top of the crank case pulling the lever over but it is obviously not disconecting the drive...

Anyone know where to start the autopsy !!!!

Sam I Am
8th July 2007, 21:47
Some bike have a switch on the side stand which kills the engine this if it is in gear and the stand is down ?

was the stand down?

I'd had the same problem before......

Conquiztador
8th July 2007, 21:56
Put her in gear w/o starting the motor. Check that she is in gear by trying to roll forward. If this is not easily possible then U are in gear. Now pull in the clutch. Can you move her around? If the answer is yes, then the clutch is working and your problem is somewhere else.

Rincewind
8th July 2007, 22:07
Thanks dude, I feel so bloody stupid,I aint used to all this technology.
None of the bikes I have ever owned has had a cut out switch on the side stand.
Been riding for 40 years too !!!!

Rincewind
8th July 2007, 22:09
You were right on the button Dude,I love this forum,every one is so helpfull !!

Sam I Am
8th July 2007, 22:24
You were right on the button Dude,I love this forum,every one is so helpfull !!

Glad your not having the clutch apart :yes: