PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha SR250 starting problem

UberRhys
12th July 2007, 14:32
Hi there, I need some help please. My SR won't start. When I try to turn it over, there is a clicking/buzzing noise coming from the solenoid/relay next to the battery, but no action from the starter motor.

Have charged the battery but still no joy.

Have tried another battery but again, still no joy - just this clicking/buzz!

Tried to bump-start it and she went sweet as so there is a spark. Just seems to be a starting issue.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

FilthyLuka
12th July 2007, 22:58
could be a number of things. But first things first. Get a hammer... hold down the start button and tap (firmly) the starter motor with the hammer. Chances are that the starter motor brushes are worn down and arent engaging at certain points... Oh, and make sure you have spark

psst, this might be better located in the engine thread...

Denis

onearmedbandit
12th July 2007, 23:00
I've moved it for you.

FROSTY
12th July 2007, 23:20
Process of elimination. Find the source of said buzzing /clicking noise.
There'll be a round silver colored er "thing" with two thick wires coming out of the top of it and two lighter wires coming out of it. Thats the starter solenoid. The two thick cables connect to it by m6 bolts.Turn the bike on and use a screwdriver to join the two bolts together.(bridge them)
If the bike cranks over and starts the problem is the starter solenoid.If not then we go to the next step.

georgiepie
12th July 2007, 23:45
Check any inhibitor switches your bike has, side stand up, clutch in maybe?

UberRhys
13th July 2007, 16:16
Check any inhibitor switches your bike has, side stand up, clutch in maybe?

Done that, tried the lot. Thanks.

UberRhys
13th July 2007, 16:21
Process of elimination. Find the source of said buzzing /clicking noise.
There'll be a round silver colored er "thing" with two thick wires coming out of the top of it and two lighter wires coming out of it. Thats the starter solenoid. The two thick cables connect to it by m6 bolts.Turn the bike on and use a screwdriver to join the two bolts together.(bridge them)
If the bike cranks over and starts the problem is the starter solenoid.If not then we go to the next step.

I have replaced the solenoid with a new one, but the sound still comes from it (the solenoid). Will try and bridge them and see what happens. Thanks again.

UberRhys
13th July 2007, 16:23
could be a number of things. But first things first. Get a hammer... hold down the start button and tap (firmly) the starter motor with the hammer. Chances are that the starter motor brushes are worn down and arent engaging at certain points... Oh, and make sure you have spark

psst, this might be better located in the engine thread...

Denis

Will give this a go, wasn't sure if this trick would work on bikes. Have tried it before on the cage so I will give it a rip. Thanks.

UberRhys
13th July 2007, 16:25
I've moved it for you.

Thanks for that, will get more help and opinions now. Cheers.

FROSTY
13th July 2007, 16:32
Sounds like the starter motor is the issue

Conquiztador
13th July 2007, 17:51
Take a car starter cable, connect it to + on your battery. Connect the other end to the stud on the starter motor where the wire screws on to. If nothing happens, then your starter motor needs fixing/replacing. Probably brushes worn out.

Good Luck.

FilthyLuka
14th July 2007, 02:01
Will give this a go, wasn't sure if this trick would work on bikes. Have tried it before on the cage so I will give it a rip. Thanks.

starter motor doesnt care if its attached to something with two wheels or four. Try it, that it usually the problem. My GN did the same thing. A firm tap with a hammer should tell you weather or not its ya starter motor.

Daenis

UberRhys
15th July 2007, 07:28
Sounds like the starter motor is the issue

Certainly was, after isolating everything and a swift tap from a hammer she kicked over. Swapped the starter out and all is glorious. Thanks for the help and advice. Rhys.

UberRhys
15th July 2007, 07:29
Take a car starter cable, connect it to + on your battery. Connect the other end to the stud on the starter motor where the wire screws on to. If nothing happens, then your starter motor needs fixing/replacing. Probably brushes worn out.

Good Luck.

Isolated the starter and gave it a tap, and presto she started. Swapped out the offending item and all is good. Thanks for the help and advice.

UberRhys
15th July 2007, 07:31
starter motor doesnt care if its attached to something with two wheels or four. Try it, that it usually the problem. My GN did the same thing. A firm tap with a hammer should tell you weather or not its ya starter motor.

Daenis

Thanks mate, my idiocy for thinking it would be different, but it worked and I have swapped it out. Now everything is great. Thanks for the help and advice. Rhys.