PDA

View Full Version : Rings...

Paul in NZ
14th July 2007, 18:49
I'm a bit confused - well more confused than normal in this case.

The problem is identifing the top and middle ring in the packets of new rings.

I have new rings (std bore) in front of me and the manual as well and things don't quite make sense. Looking at the OLD rings I removed from piston 1 - no markings are seen but the TOP ring has a more 'machined' bright edge as do the oil control rings at the bottom... Hmm that looks 'odd'.

Looking at the new rings in the packet - one ring (un machined dark edge)is marked RN and I assume thats the top side of the top ring. BUT it looks more like the old ring I removed from the middle land? The new bright edged ring is unmarked.

Normally if there was one marked ring I would put it in the upper land as the compression ring and throw the others on either way up. If I interpret the manual and the new rings correctly the RN marked ring could go in the middle?

What say you helpful KB peoples?

Paul in NZ

Ronin
14th July 2007, 18:54
I don't have the answer but I suggest that if the rings you have removed were fitted the wrong way it would explain a lot.

riffer
14th July 2007, 19:11
Hopefully this link (http://www.commline.com/FZR/400/MANUAL/Service_Manual-corrected/) helps Paul...

Its a link to a directory containing the service manuals.

riffer
14th July 2007, 19:28
Found it.

Here's the page from the service manual where it shows you the cross-sections of the different rings.

Hopefully it helps.

Paul in NZ
14th July 2007, 19:42
Found it.

Here's the page from the service manual where it shows you the cross-sections of the different rings.

Hopefully it helps.

Um - I have the manual and it would help if the rings looked like that but thanks anyway. ;-)

Kickaha
14th July 2007, 20:38
I went through all this when I did one of my engines, unfortunately I can't remember the outcome, what I do remember was the interesting way he worked out which was top and which was the second ring

The guy at the engine shop dropped the rings onto the concrete floor and told me which was top and which was second by listening to the sound they made as they're made of different materials

pete376403
15th July 2007, 00:36
I posted this a whie ago for Psyguy when he was rebuilding a Suzi 850 -
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46404&highlight=psyguy&page=12
If you look at the end of the ring (at the gap) to see the profile this might help. Note that any taper, or barrel shape, or whatever is pretty subtle

westie
15th July 2007, 01:57
I just put some new rings in. There were three. Top had "R" middle "RN" and then the oil scraper. Hope that helps. Normally the shiny edged one goes up top.

Paul in NZ
15th July 2007, 08:06
Really small engine - really small rings so I will check with a magnifying device oday - wot a load a bother!

Conquiztador
17th July 2007, 17:06
there is a small piece of paper in the pack that tells you what to look for. At least when buying original replacement ones.

Good luck.