PDA

View Full Version : K&N on a 07' CBR1000RR

Sanx
16th July 2007, 17:48
My 2007 CBR1000RR is currently in the shop having various fairing panels and engine case components replaced after my encounter with a big patch of diesel on a wet roundabout.

Other than a couple of cosmetic enhancements, the bike's unmodified save for a Scorpion can. I've asked the dealer to fit a K&N air filter while they have got the thing in pieces ... however ... someone mentioned to me that a better filter combined with the better-breathing-than-stock Scorpion might cause the engine to run lean, and a Power Commander might be required.

A power commander is on the cards at some point to cure the slight hesitancy at low revs, but not for the next couple of months (and not until after the suspension's had a little fettle, too).

Any of you engine gurus care to comment?

FROSTY
16th July 2007, 17:53
A KnN filter SHOULD get more air into her.The scorpoin Imnot sure of Reason being the rest of the exhaust system might be restrictiong the bike.
I'd have a yeodle to the bike shop before bothering with the power comander.They Might be able to richen things up as needed with the factory puter. Itll probably take a run or two on a dyno but well worth the effort

boomer
16th July 2007, 17:57
A KnN filter SHOULD get more air into her.The scorpoin Imnot sure of Reason being the rest of the exhaust system might be restrictiong the bike.
I'd have a yeodle to the bike shop before bothering with the power comander.They Might be able to richen things up as needed with the factory puter. Itll probably take a run or two on a dyno but well worth the effort

nah, the only way to talk with teh cibby ares is via a power commander..

i wouldn't change the filter until you get the pc and have it tuned at the same time ;) but then again im no pit munkee

Brian d marge
16th July 2007, 18:08
Run it on the Dyno first , to get a baseline .

go away think about what needs to be done. then make ONE change at a time and keep notes

K and N do flow more air but ( from memory but IMHO opinion are not so hot at stopping the airborne crap ,,which will end up circulating in oil

but most people dont keep their bike long enough to worry bout that

yes commonsence says that exhaust and filter will improve breathing but buy how much and why you wont know because which one of the 2 is providing the most benefit

for a daily Rider , the stock air filter is good and you can ( Hondas at least ) run a n after market pipe as the factory jet em rich , to stave off warrentys

Stephen

ArcherWC
16th July 2007, 18:43
definatly wait for the PC before you do the air filter

slowpoke
16th July 2007, 19:31
I'm no expert but in my experience the whole K and N, BMC etc hi flow air filter is a bit overrated on modern bikes. I've come to the conclusion (3 K and N's later) that they are a triumph of advertising over substance. I'd be be really interested to hear if you actually notice a difference if all you do is change the filter.
The bike manufacturers want to quote good HP figures too and aren't about to cock up with a restrictive filter on a modern big bore race rep.
Given that you aren't totally happy with the power delivery and that a road bike spends less than 1% of the time anywhere near redline you'd probably be better off putting the filter money towards the Power Commander rather than chasing a pooftenth of HP at redline.

Then there is getting rid of the exhaust valve....which is another can of worms sure to start a flame war.......

Sanx
16th July 2007, 23:06
I think the base-run dyno might be a good idea, if only to see what's going on. I'll call the shop tomorrow and tell them not to bother with it for the moment.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sparky Bills
17th July 2007, 00:22
You shouldnt notice too much difference other than under 3000rpm. It may be a bit touchy or lumpy. Nothing to worry about really. My 07 blade had a Leo Vinse Can and DNA filter, and it was fine. Went like a cut cat!
Power commanders are good, but for a road bike, I think they are a bit of a waste. Spend the money on suspension setup.

P.S. Ive got a REALLY REALLY good setup for the front and rear if your interested...?It really works!

Sanx
17th July 2007, 00:42
You shouldnt notice too much difference other than under 3000rpm. It may be a bit touchy or lumpy. Nothing to worry about really. My 07 blade had a Leo Vinse Can and DNA filter, and it was fine. Went like a cut cat!
Power commanders are good, but for a road bike, I think they are a bit of a waste. Spend the money on suspension setup.

P.S. Ive got a REALLY REALLY good setup for the front and rear if your interested...?It really works!

I had Mr Harris set the bike up for Taupo, and it worked bloody well ... for Taupo. I really need to play around with the settings a bit and find one that works for the road. Or convince my other half to allow me to send some coin Mr Taylor's way.

But definitely interested in what you've found, dude.

sAsLEX
17th July 2007, 03:06
Given that you aren't totally happy with the power delivery and that a road bike spends less than 1% of the time anywhere near redline you'd probably be better off putting the filter money towards the Power Commander rather than chasing a pooftenth of HP at redline.

Have to disagree with you there mate. A PC allows funny lumps and bumps in the power delivery, there because of the lefty green loving types, to be removed and can make the bike "feel" a whole bunch different. While generally adding power across the board.

FROSTY
17th July 2007, 20:31
I'm no expert but in my experience the whole K and N, BMC etc hi flow air filter is a bit overrated on modern bikes. I've come to the conclusion (3 K and N's later) that they are a triumph of advertising over substance. I'd be be really interested to hear if you actually notice a difference if all you do is change the filter.
The bike manufacturers want to quote good HP figures too and aren't about to cock up with a restrictive filter on a modern big bore race rep.

Then there is getting rid of the exhaust valve....which is another can of worms sure to start a flame war.......
I disagree mate-Modern bikes have to comply with so many emission and noise laws for overseas use that they are really restricted.
It definitely isn't as easy to get Easy Hp gains as it used to be but better breathing will definitely help

slowpoke
18th July 2007, 12:01
Modern bikes have to comply with so many emission and noise laws for overseas use that they are really restricted.

Absolutely true...but I don't think they use air filters to do the restricting, more along the lines of engine mapping, airbox flapper's, catalytic converters etc. If an air filter was restrictive then it would just make it that much harder to burn fuel effectively thus creating more emissions, after all leaner is cleaner (within reason).

That's the way I look at it but I'd love to be proven wrong.

slowpoke
18th July 2007, 12:04
Have to disagree with you there mate. A PC allows funny lumps and bumps in the power delivery, there because of the lefty green loving types, to be removed and can make the bike "feel" a whole bunch different. While generally adding power across the board.

That's what I was clumsily trying to say. Even if a K and N did give you a couple of hp at the top end an improved power curve (thanks to the PC) all through the range would be of greater benefit.

Cajun
18th July 2007, 12:29
the other thing to bear in mind with going after market air filter, is its reuseable, where stocks are not, and have to be replaced, which i think its normall cost of 2 stock = 1 after market, only thing i noticed when i put the BMC race in the gixxer was the ram air sound lost some of irs raw growl )c:<, since it wasn't to effect test sinc ei put ngk spark plugs, and also went to full synethic at the 6,000km service (all happen at same time