PDA

View Full Version : ZXR750H2 sprocket seal install.

car
17th July 2007, 12:54
TSS finally gave me my bike back, after we'd all waited three weeks for an indicator stalk from Japan. Given that I'm not physically fit to ride at the mo', I thought I'd have a theraputic fettle.

I pulled my sprocket seal, as I suspect that my remaining leak is either from there or from the clutch push rod aperture. What a pig that was. Are there tools to pull seals like this? In the end, I very carefully tapped a small hole in the frame of the seal with a 1.5mm drill, stuck a self-tapping wood screw in there and used that to pull it. But that was a risky business.

Still, all's well that ends well.

As for the installation, my shiny new Haynes manual doesn't appear to give any advice on the matter, at least none that I can find in chapters 2A or 6.

Two questions:

1) given that the inner face of the hole in the case that the seal is fitting into shows a few light scratches, would it be sane and sensible to put a light smear of instant gasket around this face before installation of the seal? Or is this just asking for trouble?

2) The seal was sitting flush with the case when I came to remove it, but can actually be pushed another 5mm back into the hole. (Yes, I pushed it in before I got it out.) Should the seal be fitted flush, or recessed slightly, if so by how much?

Cheers,

Chris.

car
18th July 2007, 12:16
As for the installation, my shiny new Haynes manual doesn't appear to give any advice on the matter, at least none that I can find in chapters 2A or 6.

Not only that, but my local Kawasaki dealer reckons he can't find the seal on his microfiche. The on I took out is all but destroyed, but I'll check it for marking tonight. Otherwise, apart from measuring up the ID on the aperture and the OD of the shaft and using those to source something close to, can anyone offer any ideas, help?

T.W.R
18th July 2007, 17:50
Not only that, but my local Kawasaki dealer reckons he can't find the seal on his microfiche. The on I took out is all but destroyed, but I'll check it for marking tonight. Otherwise, apart from measuring up the ID on the aperture and the OD of the shaft and using those to source something close to, can anyone offer any ideas, help?

Tell the dealer to start using sprint3 properly :yes:

Oil-seal,TC32488 (part # 92049-1361)

It's listed under the engine covers, transmission cover

http://www.buykawasaki.com/SITE/VIVehicleInformation/VIepc-launch.asp?KMCSession=NZmLCJJQ3OIxrkHeoLWuW%2A%2A% 2A&searchModel=ZX750%2DH2

There's a link to all the schematics diagrams for the H2

car
18th July 2007, 19:18
Tell the dealer to start using sprint3 properly :yes:

Oil-seal,TC32488 (part # 92049-1361)

It's listed under the engine covers, transmission cover

Oh, good work, that man! And I see that the next part on the list is the seal for that push-rod, which may or may not be my culprit. I might get prices on both.

Cheers!

(I *did* buy my own Haynes manual so as to cut down on your scanning time, but it didn't help with this one.)

T.W.R
18th July 2007, 19:38
Oh, good work, that man! And I see that the next part on the list is the seal for that push-rod, which may or may not be my culprit. I might get prices on both.

Cheers!

(I *did* buy my own Haynes manual so as to cut down on your scanning time, but it didn't help with this one.)

The Sprint3 network that Kawasaki work under here in NZ is exactly the same as buykawasaki.com's Empart schematics :yes: But sprint3 can't be accessed freely.
If I was at work I could have told you the prices for the seals, the oil-seal is a common part across a few models so isn't expensive.

Usually you'd take the transmission cover off to remove the old seal & fit the new one, but most times it's a once off operation and the flush mounted screws are munted in the process and need replacing also. The seal should sit flush to the cover outer face. Use rubber grease around the seal inner lip when fitting (helps against scoring from the spline on the output shaft)& a light smear of silastic wont hurt on the outer edge either.

My one weeps a bit too but only when I've been giving the bike the berries or after a long ride :shutup: but i wouldn't mind a dollar for everytime the shaft has been around in nearly 100k

It's a dark subject in the manual.

car
18th July 2007, 20:08
My one weeps a bit too but only when I've been giving the bike the berries or after a long ride :shutup: but i wouldn't mind a dollar for everytime the shaft has been around in nearly 100k

Aye, well, mine was leaking enough that I was worried about the spray up the swingarm and the left side of the tyre. At first, it all appeared to be the rocker cover, but you know how this stuff goes.

It's a dark subject in the manual.

Even more menacing with that Alien peering out of the screen at me.

After I've nailed these leaks I'll be making a list including valve clearances, carb clean and balance, check on that cam chain and tensioner, and anything else the sounds like a good idea while I've got the bike laid up. I've got a nice garage here and, if I can't be riding, I can at least be tinkering.

Then, come summer, my old man's coming over from Thailand and we're going to do a nice little tour of the north half of the south island. That'll be sweet.

Your help, as ever, much appreciated. And I'll see if I can't drop by and stand you a pint.

Cheers,

Chris.

T.W.R
18th July 2007, 20:35
Aye, well, mine was leaking enough that I was worried about the spray up the swingarm and the left side of the tyre. At first, it all appeared to be the rocker cover, but you know how this stuff goes.

:shit: messy! and deadly in the wrong place:sick:

Even more menacing with that Alien peering out of the screen at me.

:laugh:

After I've nailed these leaks I'll be making a list including valve clearances, carb clean and balance, check on that cam chain and tensioner, and anything else the sounds like a good idea while I've got the bike laid up. I've got a nice garage here and, if I can't be riding, I can at least be tinkering.

mmm valve clearances oh joy :shutup: be thorough before you go getting new shims :niceone: do the carbs and the cam chain at the same time :yes: the camchain tensioner is best got at whilst the carbs & airbox are out of the road :yes:

you need a project bike for tinkering :yes:

Then, come summer, my old man's coming over from Thailand and we're going to do a nice little tour of the north half of the south island. That'll be sweet.

Your help, as ever, much appreciated. And I'll see if I can't drop by and stand you a pint.

That'll be a great wee tour :yes: mmm a pint :drinkup: