PDA

View Full Version : Bike not starting

HungusMaximist
19th July 2007, 12:29
Hi

My bike's a 91 GSX750F.

Got back from a 3 week holiday overseas and I tried to start my bike and it just the engine wouldn't start.

Battery is all good, all new. I can hear the starter motor working but the engine isn't turning over.

Petrol is old and I didn't drain it out of the carb before I left and just wondering if it could've flooded it.

Any suggestions, tips, troubleshooting....

Thanks.

TLMAN
19th July 2007, 12:45
Have you tried roll starting it?

HungusMaximist
19th July 2007, 13:31
No, but that's gonna be hard as I live down in a steep 20 m long drive way. But I could try. Thanks.

Squiggles
19th July 2007, 14:44
just checking but its not something stupid like kill switch / fuel tap lever in off position is it? :shutup:

tri boy
19th July 2007, 14:58
Drain the carb fuel bowls. When you say it isn't " turning over", do you mean that the engine isn't running?
Turning over normally refers to crankshaft/piston movement, as opposed to idling, revving.:yes:

HungusMaximist
19th July 2007, 15:21
Drain the carb fuel bowls. When you say it isn't " turning over", do you mean that the engine isn't running?
Turning over normally refers to crankshaft/piston movement, as opposed to idling, revving.:yes:

Kill switch is on. Fuel tap is in the on position, although there's at least 1 litre or fuel inside the tank and it's been 3 weeks or so. I maybe should drain the carbs and tank, and add fresh fuel. Anyway draining the carbs is something I need to read up on as I haven't really had to do it before.

On the other hand starter motor kicks in hardy and you can hear it trying to start the engine, but the engine doesn't start. It means the engine isn't running at all.

Any other suggestions? Troubleshoot..

Squiggles
19th July 2007, 17:12
Fuel tap is in the on position, although there's at least 1 litre or fuel inside the tank

tried reserve?

3 weeks wouldn't root the fuel i wouldnt think...

FROSTY
19th July 2007, 19:03
Connect up a jumper battery,throw i4l of BP super in the tank ,turn it to reserve .Turn her over with NO throttle.
If you still have no luck then get back to us.
--I'M sorta covering off 3 possible issues at once here

HungusMaximist
20th July 2007, 13:03
You know what, I got her going yesterday. I've realised I've been adding too much throttle while starting. I switched the choke on full and pushed in the ingnition for about a few seconds, with a few coughs the engine came alive.

No throttle was applied when I was pushing the ingnition button.

Thanks all for your help.

Indiana_Jones
25th July 2007, 12:30
I'm having trouble to start my bike atm (she's pretty flooded now I would think).

I do need a new batt I'm pretty sure (I think i still have the 1988 one in there)

But I can never start my bike without giving it gas, and the choke doesn't do a thing as it justs seems to turn it off.

Cheers

-Indy

mark247
25th July 2007, 20:02
I'm having trouble to start my bike atm (she's pretty flooded now I would think).

I do need a new batt I'm pretty sure (I think i still have the 1988 one in there)

But I can never start my bike without giving it gas, and the choke doesn't do a thing as it justs seems to turn it off.

Cheers

-Indy

Check the plugs. Check for spark. If thats all good, then give it some Engine Starter in the airbox and try start her again.

If my bike doesnt start, its pretty much always a fouled plug or something that engine start fixes. =P

MyGSXF
25th July 2007, 20:17
I've realised I've been adding too much throttle while starting. I switched the choke on full and pushed in the ingnition for about a few seconds. No throttle was applied

I have the 93' 400 toy of the same. I pretty much always do as you said above. :yes:

Fuel tap on 'prime'
choke on full
no throttle
push ignition for a few seconds

once she's away.. knock choke back to about 1/3rd, & turn fuel tap to 'on'

Most of the time she behaves! :shutup:

Enjoy & take care :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

Indiana_Jones
25th July 2007, 22:45
Fuel tap on 'prime'

What's "prime"?

-Indy

MyGSXF
25th July 2007, 22:52
What's "prime"?-Indy

from my basic female understanding of motors.. :shutup:

"Prime", "primes the motor" I think it allows a little bit of fuel through into the carby.. ready for the motor to fire.. something like that anyway.. :innocent: (I'm sure a "bloke" can describe it better...:laugh: )

I understand it better with lawnmowers.. there is a little rubber button you have to push about 3 times.. before pulling the rip cord.. otherwise the bugger doesn't go!!! :dodge:

clear as mud....??? :msn-wink:

Indiana_Jones
26th July 2007, 08:10
from my basic female understanding of motors.. :shutup:

"Prime", "primes the motor" I think it allows a little bit of fuel through into the carby.. ready for the motor to fire.. something like that anyway.. :innocent: (I'm sure a "bloke" can describe it better...:laugh: )

I understand it better with lawnmowers.. there is a little rubber button you have to push about 3 times.. before pulling the rip cord.. otherwise the bugger doesn't go!!! :dodge:

clear as mud....??? :msn-wink:

Ah yea, I thought it sounded familiar, I remember doing that on the lawn mower. Never heard of it on a bike? lol

-Indy

Kjell
26th July 2007, 10:53
Got back from a 3 week holiday overseas and I tried to start my bike and it just the engine wouldn't start.

Battery is all good, all new. I can hear the starter motor working but the engine isn't turning over.
Thanks.

Same with me, escaping this winter.
Drained the carb, battery all good, engine turning over but not firing. Check of the spark plug showed grime central, bit of clean and retry (some choke, no throttle), fired up. Not entirely happy on full throttle, get the noise but not the power.
Giving it a gentle ride to properly warm up and get comfortable again. Time for good fuel and awaiting a good weekend. :yes:

davereid
26th July 2007, 14:50
When you say it isn't " turning over", do you mean that the engine isn't running?

Wot e said.

If you push the starter button and you hear "click click" but little else then you have a flat battery.

If you hear the motor cranking then it is turning over and your problem is fuel or spark.

Pull a spark plug cap off, and crank it over with an old spark plug in the cap, and the plug resting on the engine to gt an earth. Got spark ?

Then look for a fuel problem.

Fuel tap off or in wrong position - out of gas (carbs leaked while parked ?)

My money is on flat battery - good luck !

MyGSXF
26th July 2007, 15:07
Ah yea, I thought it sounded familiar, I remember doing that on the lawn mower. Never heard of it on a bike? lol
-Indy

Lols.. I take it then.. that all bikes don't have 3 positions on their fuel tap. Prime, Reserve & On. :wait: Or maybe I'm just special.. :innocent: :shutup:

FROSTY
29th July 2007, 18:16
Bike fuel taps have one of two configerations. On/reserve/off or on/reserve/prime. The first is pretty easy to work out. The second works on Vacume carbs where in the on/reserve position vacume is needed for fuel to flow.In the prime position fuel flows freely with no vacume

Pussy
29th July 2007, 20:24
Bike fuel taps have one of two configerations. On/reserve/off or on/reserve/prime. The first is pretty easy to work out. The second works on Vacume carbs where in the on/reserve position vacume is needed for fuel to flow.In the prime position fuel flows freely with no vacume

Vacuum......