PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure light coming on!

mark247
19th July 2007, 16:16
Was riding home today and my oil light came on when coming out of a round-about. I suspected the worst so i pulled over instantly and checked the oil, and it was between the two lines on the glass. I jumped back on a rode off and it came on again about 100meters later, i pulled over at the gas station and checked the oil again and it was all good. Thought it must be a faultly wire or something. I turn the bike on and go to pull out of the station and while waiting for cars to clear it comes on AGAIN. I smack the speedo and it goes out, but i think that was just a coincidence. I ride off home and i think it came on once for the rest of the ride home, about 16 km. When i get home i top the oil up a tad because although it was still on a glass, it wasnt at its peak. I fiddled around with the bike and searched the net for answers, i even called the shop who reckon it must be a faulty sensor or wire. I read on the net that a few people with FZR600s and FZR1000s have had similar problems. One guy reckons he just put another half litre of oil over the fill mark on the glass and that stopped it. So i have done that, which shouldnt harm the bike because half a litre is really f*** all. So i turn the bike on to see if the light comes on at all. I found the only way to make it come on now is to lean the bike far over, about 35 degrees over, on its RIGHT side while running, it doesnt happen when i lean it over on its left side.

What do you guys reckon it could be?

I havent checked the oil filter, but could be that it is so fill with shit that it isnt letting enough oil through?

Or possibly the oil pump is shagged?

Or the sensor rooted?

Cheers guys!:2thumbsup

Paul in NZ
19th July 2007, 16:21
usually on a yamaha its an oil level light - not pressure.

mark247
19th July 2007, 17:03

So you are saying it wont be oil pressure. Because it's got enough oil that must mean that it is just a faulty censor.

bimotabob
19th July 2007, 17:18
Hi

Yeh FZR's (and some other Yamahas) all have the light tell you when the oil level gets low. Don't stress about it.
Since the sensor is probably on the left like my 1000 that would explain
why yours comes on when you lean it over right.
From what you tell us your sensor may be ok though.
I have to fill mine to the top of the level glass or it will come on
the odd time - My research has lead me to believe this is how high the oil should be anyway.

Since the sensors are in dirty oil all the time they can sometimes need a clean out.

Yamaha had much wisdom for using the level idea for two reasons:

1) many burn oil - possibly due to them having more valves (5 valve type)
2) oil pressure lights tell you if the engine is getting low or no oil.
As you are probably riding if it ever comes on you are stuffed anyhow.

Cheers

mark247
19th July 2007, 18:49
Hi

Yeh FZR's (and some other Yamahas) all have the light tell you when the oil level gets low. Don't stress about it.
Since the sensor is probably on the left like my 1000 that would explain
why yours comes on when you lean it over right.
From what you tell us your sensor may be ok though.
I have to fill mine to the top of the level glass or it will come on
the odd time - My research has lead me to believe this is how high the oil should be anyway.

Since the sensors are in dirty oil all the time they can sometimes need a clean out.

Yamaha had much wisdom for using the level idea for two reasons:

1) many burn oil - possibly due to them having more valves (5 valve type)
2) oil pressure lights tell you if the engine is getting low or no oil.
As you are probably riding if it ever comes on you are stuffed anyhow.

Cheers

Ok well thats all good. Cheers for that.

FROSTY
19th July 2007, 18:58
Mark--check the oil on the flat and cold with the engine OFF
If the oil level is still ok then its the oil LEVEL sensor at fault

saul
19th July 2007, 19:00

Yep my R1 did that for a while and it was only an oil level light:yes:

Sensor was on the way out

mark247
19th July 2007, 22:44
Yep my R1 did that for a while and it was only an oil level light:yes:

Sensor was on the way out

did you get it replaced or just live with it?

Mark--check the oil on the flat and cold with the engine OFF
If the oil level is still ok then its the oil LEVEL sensor at fault

did that.

DEATH_INC.
20th July 2007, 06:46
Yep, my FZR thou was like it too, any lower than full it'd come on under hard acceleration....most unnerving thing though was it'd stay on when ya did wheelies.....

sAsLEX
20th July 2007, 07:05
..most unnerving thing though was it'd stay on when ya did wheelies.....

That must of knocked your confidence a fair bit..............:innocent:

mark247
20th July 2007, 09:05
Yep, my FZR thou was like it too, any lower than full it'd come on under hard acceleration....most unnerving thing though was it'd stay on when ya did wheelies.....

Yeah its bloody annoying. If it pisses me off too much i think i might just cut the wire and just check the oil offen. I hate red lights, my "speed" light has already been cut lol

Paul in NZ
20th July 2007, 09:17
Id would be simpler in the long run to make sure there is plenty of oil in there or replace the faulty part. I don't think Mr Yamaha put the light on there for shits and giggles... Probably a very good reason to make sure such a bike has not a jot less than the amount specified...

mark247
20th July 2007, 09:34
Id would be simpler in the long run to make sure there is plenty of oil in there or replace the faulty part. I don't think Mr Yamaha put the light on there for shits and giggles... Probably a very good reason to make sure such a bike has not a jot less than the amount specified...

Wonder how much the part would cost? It is just a sensor inside the right side plate, correct?

Paul in NZ
20th July 2007, 09:58
Wonder how much the part would cost? It is just a sensor inside the right side plate, correct?

No idea - I can research the part number and if you are really keen contact Jeaves who can get stuff like this as well as a deal on air filer / oil filters and other useful stuff from Yamaha.

You might find a US price / part number here..

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/default.asp

Cheers

xwhatsit
20th July 2007, 12:17
I've been following this thread for a bit and I'm still confused why Mr Yamaha decided you need an oil light in the first place when you've got a sight glass (don't even have to carry a rag with you to wipe the dipstick!)? Do these bikes have a habit of suddenly dumping a whole lot of oil while you're sitting at the traffic lights, or is it just a standard `idiot light'?

Paul in NZ
20th July 2007, 12:44
Who knows the mind of the original designer but often a level light is more important than a pressure one because if the pressure one comes on at speed - it's already too late....

I guess most people don't check the oil often enough - it's death to these things...

mark247
20th July 2007, 12:58
I've been following this thread for a bit and I'm still confused why Mr Yamaha decided you need an oil light in the first place when you've got a sight glass (don't even have to carry a rag with you to wipe the dipstick!)? Do these bikes have a habit of suddenly dumping a whole lot of oil while you're sitting at the traffic lights, or is it just a standard `idiot light'?

I think it is a great idea instead of having a oil pressure light as well. If you lose oil pressure while you are riding your bike is fucked because you don't need much oil to have oil pressure, so if the light comes on you have VERY little oil in your bike, so the damage has already been done. I think an oil level light is a better idea because it tells you to top up before the oil has got low enough to do any damage at all. Also, leaning down and looking through the hole in a fairing and balancing the bike upwards perfectly is annoying! lol.

saul
20th July 2007, 18:38
did you get it replaced or just live with it?

Replaced cause I am a fussy fella:yes: , in fact I think I have spare one lying around if it fits you are welcome to it:yes:

mark247
20th July 2007, 20:58
Replaced cause I am a fussy fella:yes: , in fact I think I have spare one lying around if it fits you are welcome to it:yes:

That would be fantastic. I will have a look in a manual sometime and find out what the one i need looks like and how hard it is to replace. I'm sure ill see you at the next kb meeting, so we could talk about it then.

Chrislost
21st July 2007, 19:08
Was riding home today and my oil light came on when coming out of a round-about. I suspected the worst so i pulled over instantly and checked the oil, and it was between the two lines on the glass. I jumped back on a rode off and it came on again about 100meters later, i pulled over at the gas station and checked the oil again and it was all good. Thought it must be a faultly wire or something. I turn the bike on and go to pull out of the station and while waiting for cars to clear it comes on AGAIN. I smack the speedo and it goes out, but i think that was just a coincidence. I ride off home and i think it came on once for the rest of the ride home, about 16 km. When i get home i top the oil up a tad because although it was still on a glass, it wasnt at its peak. I fiddled around with the bike and searched the net for answers, i even called the shop who reckon it must be a faulty sensor or wire. I read on the net that a few people with FZR600s and FZR1000s have had similar problems. One guy reckons he just put another half litre of oil over the fill mark on the glass and that stopped it. So i have done that, which shouldnt harm the bike because half a litre is really f*** all. So i turn the bike on to see if the light comes on at all. I found the only way to make it come on now is to lean the bike far over, about 35 degrees over, on its RIGHT side while running, it doesnt happen when i lean it over on its left side.

What do you guys reckon it could be?

I havent checked the oil filter, but could be that it is so fill with shit that it isnt letting enough oil through?

Or possibly the oil pump is shagged?

Or the sensor rooted?

Cheers guys!:2thumbsup

be careful overfilling!
can FUCK the engine(bend/break rods)

mark247
21st July 2007, 21:18
be careful overfilling!
can FUCK the engine(bend/break rods)

Yes i know that, a little over fill is fine, its when you are able to pour oil out of the filler cap etc that it will shag stuff.

saul
22nd July 2007, 09:53
That would be fantastic. I will have a look in a manual sometime and find out what the one i need looks like and how hard it is to replace. I'm sure ill see you at the next kb meeting, so we could talk about it then.

Well I found it:yes: It was in good working order so it should still be now.

I can hear the inside bit moving freely:sunny:

So see if it is the same.:yes:

mark247
22nd July 2007, 10:15
Well I found it:yes: It was in good working order so it should still be now.

I can hear the inside bit moving freely:sunny:

So see if it is the same.:yes:

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=33530&st=0&p=332568&#entry332568

That site has a photo of one out of a FZR which looks very simular to yours. I guess it will fit. I just need to find out where it goes. I am in no real hurry to fix it at the moment. If it is an easy fix i will do it sometime soon.

FROSTY
29th July 2007, 23:08
Yes i know that, a little over fill is fine, its when you are able to pour oil out of the filler cap etc that it will shag stuff.
Sorry to contradict you dude but a little overfilling aint good on those lil bikes.They can pump oil up to the airbox then clog the air filter and pump oil into the carbs. .Worse is that orrible sinking feeling when you see a lil pool of oil under the bike--Caused by the oil running down the breather pipe.

mark247
31st July 2007, 19:51
Im thinking i might try cleaning out the oil sensor in my bike because it came on again. Where abouts is it in the engine? Just in the right side cover?