PDA

View Full Version : 1999 DR650se

dino3310
24th July 2007, 20:41
was looking on the kien web sight saw this thing called a torque limiter
aparently my bike hasn't got one ,say's some thing about damage can accure when shutting motor of .Does any one know anything about this?

Mole_C
27th July 2007, 01:01
http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html

Dunno sorry, he seems to know his stuff thou. Try search thumpertalk.com and see if there is anything there or ask nordie boy. He seems to know a fair bit :yes:

NordieBoy
27th July 2007, 08:52
About 98-99 they used a solid idler gear in the starter mech which could break out of the side case when you turn the bike off (that clunk you hear as it stops).
In 2000 they went back to the torque limiting idler.
Get one.
Cheaper than a rebuild and easy(ish) to install.
Now is the time to get one from the states (but check local prices first).

dino3310
27th July 2007, 19:08
cool mate thanks,not alot of parts to put in might have a go at it myself,will see how it looks in the manual if it looks hard i'll pass it on to a machanic.

Crisis management
27th July 2007, 20:23
I had a 98 that shat its starter over that, new cases etc etc....

Take the side cover off (LHS) leaning the bike to the right so all the oil doesn't drain out and have a look.....the solid one is a gear what is solid....the torque limiter is a serrated edge gear. Have a look on Kientech's site for a picture.

Very easy to replace, pull off & push on new one, but check if you need one first!

dino3310
27th July 2007, 21:55
thanks mate i'll have a look this weekend

dino3310
28th July 2007, 14:00
had a look this morn,cog thats there dont look like the torque limiter in the book just looks like a cog,had some work done to it, the hole that the starter idle shaft goes in has been damaged and welded back up am guessing it shit
it self once before.

dino3310
31st July 2007, 17:03
T limiter $243 from Suzuki NZ. 10 day delivery.
ordered today.

NordieBoy
31st July 2007, 19:42
Pretty good price.
About the same as shipping one from the States.

nallac
31st July 2007, 19:54
i ordered a dyno jet kit and chain roller from kientech .
ordered them on a thursday morning turned up at my place monday morning.

A big ups for them,awesum service would definatly use them for DR parts..

dino3310
31st July 2007, 20:34
Pretty good price.
About the same as shipping one from the States.

u be right give or take a couple of bucks,good time to bulk order with the exchange rate the way it is

dino3310
31st July 2007, 20:41
i ordered a dyno jet kit and chain roller from kientech .
ordered them on a thursday morning turned up at my place monday morning.

A big ups for them,awesum service would definatly use them for DR parts..

thats bloody good service,certainly faster than getting parts from japan

dino3310
23rd August 2007, 22:32
ended up getting torque limiter from kientech worked out to be $20 cheaper,installed it gave her an oil and filter change,sounds a lot better on shut down- took her for a blat down the road ,its got a shit load of grunt only problem now is she jumps out of fifth,i think its the selector gonna try and get her in to the shop next week,once i know shes running sweet i'm gonna put her up for sale.

Crisis management
24th August 2007, 08:04
Good to hear you're getting there with the DR, it's a really strong motor in that bike and will make a great off roader for someone.

Good luck when you come to sell it! :Punk:

dino3310
24th August 2007, 17:38
Good to hear you're getting there with the DR, it's a really strong motor in that bike and will make a great off roader for someone.

Good luck when you come to sell it! :Punk:

thanks mate.
when you said she was fast i didn't think it was this fast even in fourth she pulls hard above road legal speed limits,she likes getting on one wheel without any trouble aswell.
i'm trying to talk the missus into letting me keep it and tick one up for the road,i dont really want to let it go but it would be good to get back on the road and catch up with some of the KB rides.

NordieBoy
24th August 2007, 19:33
thanks mate.
when you said she was fast i didn't think it was this fast even in fourth she pulls hard above road legal speed limits,she likes getting on one wheel without any trouble aswell.
i'm trying to talk the missus into letting me keep it and tick one up for the road,i dont really want to let it go but it would be good to get back on the road and catch up with some of the KB rides.

What's wrong with a DR650 for the road?
16t front sprocket and some road tyres...

dino3310
24th August 2007, 21:40
What's wrong with a DR650 for the road?
16t front sprocket and some road tyres...

i bought it to put on the road and i would love to have it on the road,but it's a yank import and i cant get the original papers for vinning.
the DR would be my favourite choice of bike.

NordieBoy
24th August 2007, 22:23
That would be a catch.

dino3310
24th August 2007, 22:32
i'll certainly have some fun on it before she goes though,if she goes.
trying to get a hold of a frame for a transplant.

dino3310
26th August 2007, 14:11
here she is69100

dino3310
4th September 2007, 18:48
went in to shop on friday they gonna have to split the motor to get to the internals of the gear box,look forward to getting it back hanging out for a fang.:scooter:

dino3310
15th October 2007, 21:18
she's home just ordered a seal for the gear shaft and a new battery,
yeehaa hope to get on some dirt this weekend:scooter::Punk: