PDA

View Full Version : 99 r6 gearbox rebuild?

madmacca
29th July 2007, 17:26
any one had to do a rebuild on one was it a mission what was the end cost?

owner
30th July 2007, 15:16
maybe if you learnt wheelies in third you could save second gear for tryn to keep me in sight

boostin
30th July 2007, 16:58
Get in touch with R6_Kid.

He had a well used R6 that I think he was considering rebuilding the gearbox, or he did do it....

R6_kid
30th July 2007, 17:06
cost around $1700, i gave them another second hand gearbox for parts which cost me $300. The cost will varie, its around 8-10hrs of labour to take the engine out, strip, re-assemble and re-install. Depending how much of your gearbox is rooted will determine the cost of parts (obviously).

To be honest, you could probably do it yourself over a couple of weekends if you took your time. Just make sure you replace all gaskets etc where you split casings, and be very miticulous with having a tidy workspace and ensure that you know where everything goes back. The trickiest part will be splitting the cases to get the gearbox/crank etc out, disassembling and then re-assembling the gearbox... and thats probably the easiest part to fuck up too.

May also pay to do major bearings while the engine is open too.

I have a rebuilt gearbox with very low kms on it, ready to go into a new engine, but it comes with the rest of my old engine too :yes:

VasalineWarrior
14th August 2007, 23:25
This advice is prob a bit late but just in case..

Regards the above post rebuilding yourself will only cost you time (better than money if you ask me). Take photos of everything before and after you pull it apart, grab a workshop manuel (welly library has almost everything, so borrow then photo copy it), grab your tool kit and go for it

owner
23rd December 2007, 19:02
more money than time that boy, gearbox is fine because he doesnt ride it!:Pokey: