PDA

View Full Version : Help... cbr250rr cutting out at 100kph

redliner
10th August 2007, 20:50
my bike runs fine but as soon as i get on the open road at about 100kph it cuts out.

it eventually starts again with the choke on and rides fine again at low speed.

any clues as to what the problem might be? it's pissing me off!

breakaway
10th August 2007, 21:00
Revs or Speed? Does it rev all the way to redline?

These bikes have some sort of limiter in the speedo apparnetly, which makes the bike cut off if it goes too fast or some such. Maybe yours is broken and is prematurely cutting off?

redliner
10th August 2007, 21:07
it revs up sweet in the other gears, it is just 6th gear at around 10K revs that it is cutting out.

Mully
10th August 2007, 22:56
Are you on your learners?? You shouldn't be going that fast if you are.

Lord knows I never exceeded 70km/h when I was on my 6L. :shutup:

kiwifruit
10th August 2007, 23:13
sounds like someone has fitted a speed limiter not unlike the one i use, leave it alone... 100km/h is fast enough :yes:

breakaway
10th August 2007, 23:55
Sounds like a speed limiter if it consistently only happens in 6th at 100km/h. Tried it in 5th?

Indiana_Jones
11th August 2007, 10:24
sounds like someone has fitted a speed limiter not unlike the one i use, leave it alone... 100km/h is fast enough :yes:

If I brought a CBR250RR that only does 100Kph, I'd be pissed lol

-Indy

redliner
12th August 2007, 11:47
yup tried 5th. Ended up pushing ma bike 2km along side of motorway yesterday:( U tink it mite be broken speed limiter?

babyblade250rr
12th August 2007, 11:53
sounds like it, but strange though the way the speed limiter works in these things i doubt it could fault unless you got something stuck in the sensor

babyblade250rr
12th August 2007, 11:54
very strange indeed

babyblade250rr
12th August 2007, 11:58
it's alittle piece of metal that rotates with the speedometer, so when it rotates to 180k/hr it passes through a sensor which effectively causes a cut out, i can't imagine how that piece of metal would shift,

How long have you had your bike and when did this occur?? just guessing but it could have something to do with fuel pressure??

redliner
12th August 2007, 12:06
Only had bike for 3 weeks. Only bn up to 100kph three times. Everytime the bike cuts out. Then wont start again.

babyblade250rr
12th August 2007, 12:14
Only had bike for 3 weeks. Only bn up to 100kph three times. Everytime the bike cuts out. Then wont start again.

sounds like fuel to me especially when you tell me it wont start again, did you buy it from a dealer? if so take it back and get them to fix it if not i'm sure some of our "Know all" Kb'ers will be able to help

babyblade250rr
12th August 2007, 12:16

ahh you got that bike off trademe didn't you?

redliner
12th August 2007, 12:17
Brought it off trademe. Thanks for ya help.

wildpudding
12th August 2007, 19:42
Had a similiar problem on my bike recently.

Turns out to be a few small problems. First check you fuel lines to the engine, it sounds like it could be a restriction in fuel getting to the carbs, which would only be apparent at higher speeds when more fuel is needed. Make sure no kinks etc when the tank is in place. Also check the vacuum tube is in good condition, and again not kinked or so.

Sounds silly but it could also be the coils, or electrical system. My bike was running very badly accelerating to open road speeds, replaced a coil and problem was solved. Bike worked pretty much ok at lower speeds with the dodgy coil.

Stefan

skidMark
13th August 2007, 21:02
sounds like your vacuum line fron the carbys to the airbox has come off/ has a leak....

if you cant fix it yourself pm me and you can bring it over here...i'm in east aucks...if i had gas i'd come to you lol.

redliner
14th August 2007, 22:10
Yay, problem solved. It was a lack of fuel at high speed.
The diaphram in the pepcock was not fixed/opperating properly.