PDA

View Full Version : Clutch push rod NOT pushing

hondaman
12th August 2007, 13:39
Well my cb750 f rebuild has been going ok. Got the new brake cylinder kit and all the new rubbers for the caliper cylinders. Im trying to work out why the push rod lever will not move when pulled upwards. I took the cover off to see if I could see anything that might be stopping the pushrod to work on the pressure plate. Looks normal in there. I took off the pressure plate to see if any of the springs might be jammed. It looks normal there too. I havent taken the clutch out yet, as I dont have the right tool for the job. Ill have to make one. The gear selector seems to select gears ok. Would like to know what what might be causing the problem. :scooter:

hondaman
13th August 2007, 14:07
thanks anyway

tri boy
13th August 2007, 14:21
Do tell us what was wrong.:yes:

hondaman
13th August 2007, 20:08
The bike has been sitting for four years in a back yard. I drained the engine oil out a few months ago. Today I took the ignition cover off and turned the engine. First time I'd done that since the bike came into my possession. I first poured some kerosene into the piston chambers to help lubricate the rings. She turned easily. With the clutch cover still displaced, I watched it while I rotated the crankshaft. The clutch also turned with the engine, but not straight away. It might of been a half a turn or less on the nut before the clutch turned normally. I rotated the engine a few times. When I had the pressure plate off earlier, I could slide the plates easily on the spline. I checked the lengths of the pressure plate springs last night to see if they were within spec,. They all measured 34.2. All correct according to the manual. Now that the clutch was turning, I put the cover back on, plus the old gasket, so I could test the clutch lever again with the cable connected. It worked normally.
On reflection, there probably was nothing wrong with it. Did I mention that I tried to pull the lever up by hand instead of fixing the cable. I put a lot of purchase on the lever and it wouldnt move. It started to bend. I should have tried it with the cable fitted instead. Or maybe the revolutions of the motor freed the clutch. Anyway its going to cost me a new clutch gasket.