PDA

View Full Version : What coolant do racers use?

VasalineWarrior
13th August 2007, 20:14
So.. what does everyone else put in their radiators at the track?

Have been using water and draining it out at the end of the day but im a bit concerned that it might damage the aluminium of the radiator with a constant exposure to either air or water. This is also an added pain in the arse to drain and refill, plus the fact that additives like glycol make the boiling temp higher (so more protection when it gets hot on the dummy grid) and so are better coolants anyway.

Have heard that some people use non glycol based additives which are not slippery if they spill onto the track. So what are they? Do they perform as well as glycol and is do places like repco etc sell them?

Tim 39
13th August 2007, 20:49
So.. what does everyone else put in their radiators at the track?

Have been using water and draining it out at the end of the day but im a bit concerned that it might damage the aluminium of the radiator with a constant exposure to either air or water. This is also an added pain in the arse to drain and refill, plus the fact that additives like glycol make the boiling temp higher (so more protection when it gets hot on the dummy grid) and so are better coolants anyway.

Have heard that some people use non glycol based additives which are not slippery if they spill onto the track. So what are they? Do they perform as well as glycol and is do places like repco etc sell them?

I use nulon ultra cool, it reduces the risk of corrosion etc and is a bit better for the waterpump than just water. I have also used Maxima Cool aid, both are good and nulon ultra cool is available at supacheap and presumably repco, coolaid comes from motorbike shops

Sam I Am
13th August 2007, 23:51
isn't it wetter water they use ?

ArcherWC
14th August 2007, 06:42
I use a Motul non glycol additive, cant remember what its called though

Deano
14th August 2007, 08:34
isn't it wetter water they use ?

Water Wetter is what I use.

Tim 39
14th August 2007, 09:57
Water Wetter is what I use.

is water wetter just another anti corrosion/waterpump lubricant type additive that's glycol free?

Sparky Bills
14th August 2007, 10:37
As i said in my pm dude.
Water Wetter or Maxima Coolaide.
Either one is all good. I use Water Wetter myself.

slowpoke
16th August 2007, 07:28
is water wetter just another anti corrosion/waterpump lubricant type additive that's glycol free?

It's actually a bit more than that, hence it's so expensive. For want of a better way of putting it it increases the thermal conductivity of water allowing the cooling system to absorb more heat from the engine, as opposed to the glycol based products which just raise the boiling point of the water.

I used it in a turbo charged mini I built and it definitely helped control the overheating problems I was experiencing.