PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed problem VL250

mattian
16th August 2007, 07:04
G'day folks. I have a Suzuki VL 250 2006 model. (before you hold that against me) I am a "newbie" rider and this is my first bike. It was stalling while it was idling so, I adjusted the idle speed and it idles ok now (sometimes it idles a little fast and then slows down..... its a little bit irregular) The biggest problem I have is that ever since I adjusted the idle speed it seems very sluggish when I take off in first gear. It really struggles to get going and when I pull up to a stop the engine will often just stop!
Its could be anything..... even very simple but, as I say I am very new to bikes so my mechanical knowledge is also pretty simple. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me about what might be wrong with it. Thanks.

98tls
16th August 2007, 10:25
Mate i am not familar with the model of bike you have,i am assuming its got carbs as opposed to injected,when you say you adjusted the idle are you sure you havent adjusted fuel/air mixture instead.

MSTRS
16th August 2007, 10:30
Mate i am not familar with the model of bike you have,i am assuming its got carbs as opposed to injected,when you say you adjusted the idle are you sure you havent adjusted fuel/air mixture instead.

A possibility. But that would be over-ridden as soon as the carb slider(s) move. The greater chance is that there is some crap or water in the float bowl, being sucked against the main and/or pilot jets.

Paul in NZ
16th August 2007, 10:54
Sorry - let us know a bit more re your experience etc - ie - how familiar are you with the workings of your 'carb'??. Basically, if the bike was running OK and then it stopped running OK, fiddling with the carb settings are unlikely to have cured the original problem...

Sounds like you should take it to the shop for a service and tune.. OR if you want to do it yourself - first step is to get a manual.

Check that the gas tank vent is OK and that it's not done something daft like run out of petrol (you wouldn't be the first) or the tap is stuck between reserve and on or such like...

Check your airfilter as well...

Flyingpony
16th August 2007, 13:14
Sounds to me like water in the carb.

I suffered from similar symptoms just recently and it was because my fuel got polluted with some water from the local Shell station - quite common around this time of year.

Clean your carb, drain some fuel out of the tank when it's switched to reserve and give it a shot of meths into the tank for lapping up any left over water. If still not running right, take bike into shop for a clean/adjust.

Macktheknife
16th August 2007, 14:20
Sounds to me like water in the carb.

I suffered from similar symptoms just recently and it was because my fuel got polluted with some water from the local Shell station - quite common around this time of year.

Clean your carb, drain some fuel out of the tank when it's switched to reserve and give it a shot of meths into the tank for lapping up any left over water. If still not running right, take bike into shop for a clean/adjust.
That sounds about right, just what I was thinking.

mattian
16th August 2007, 17:26
Thanks alot folks. I am quite sure it must be some water in the tank or something similar. I just started it up and even with the choke out it struggles to idle and when I push the choke all the way in it just dies..... even when its fully warmed up. Thanks for all your comments, I really appreciate it. I will take into the shop. Cheers.

Paul in NZ
16th August 2007, 18:25
Try tipping in a half cup of meths first - it will absorb the water and burn with the fuel

BMW
16th August 2007, 18:51
A possibility. But that would be over-ridden as soon as the carb slider(s) move. The greater chance is that there is some crap or water in the float bowl, being sucked against the main and/or pilot jets.

agreed- mate had the same problem with his. Had to bring up the idle to keep it running once warm

But now after a tune up it goes very well!

mattian
17th August 2007, 07:25
Try tipping in a half cup of meths first - it will absorb the water and burn with the fuel

Thanks alot Paul. I will try your suggestion first and if it doesnt imporve I will see a mechanic. Cheers bro!

craisin
17th September 2007, 07:59
take the air filter or airbox off and rev it quite hard and put your hand over the carb where the filter goes on for a second, it will die mometarily and will run again when your hand is removed. Better than losing parts by pulling it to bits:devil2: