PDA

View Full Version : The mechanical adventures of an R1...or lessons in how to burn money

slowpoke
16th August 2007, 07:34
I’m bored on nightshift, trying to stay away from the cake fridge in the mess, and missing my bike, so I just thought I’d write a bit of a spiel on the recent trials and tribulations I’ve had with my poor old R1. Be warned, this is fuggin’ long and if you don’t like seeing a grown man cry then best you read somethin’ else, but if you enjoy laughing at other peoples misfortunes then read on…..

Just as a bit of background “my” R1 is actually my missus bike, as I sold my Duke when we left Oz. She doesn’t really ride any more due to an ankle injury. The bike is an old warhorse that was a dedicated race bike until we picked it up and it’s got an interesting history….to us anyway, it probably wouldn’t mean much to anybody else. In it’s time it was pretty quick, with Ohlins suspension and minor motor mods etc, but obviously a 2000 model anything isn’t going to compare with the latest and greatest road rockets. It was purchased minus alternator, starter motor, road harness etc, but with most of the road gear included. We bought it off a talented Western Australian road racing mate with the intention of my partner using it as a road bike and I’d use it as a track bike, rather than shit bricks every time I went out on the Duke. I’ve picked up a few bits and pieces along the way that ease the transition and it takes me about four hours to change “modes”. The all black paint scheme was a “must have” for a couple of proud Kiwi’s in Oz.

As so often happens, trouble first raised its ugly mug as the result of good intentions. October last year I decided to have a few giggles in the Clubman’s class at a couple of the Nat’s rounds Down South in the New Year, along with a tour of some childhood haunts in the South Island after spending too many years in Oz. I’d even picked up a Husaberg motard to try and improve my overall skill level, or lack thereof. I spend half my time away from home at work so I started shepherding my ducks into a row early in November, starting with a top end service, plugs and carb check. The alarm bells had been ringing with persistent bogging under load below 4000rpm and the fact that Poos standard GSXR750 K5 edged it in a straight line drag. Even allowing for the nana riding, the ol’ girl obviously needed a bit of TLC…..pity I couldn’t give the rider a tune up while I was at it.

I took it into the guys at T and V Motorcycles in Carterton, where Tony and James got stuck in. The next day I got the dreaded phone call, “Can you pop into the shop for a chat…?” The news wasn’t good, with zero valve to cam clearance on several valves and minimal on many others. Bastard valve recession…..aaaaargh! I could have had the guys just shim it up as best they could and flog the bike off, but knowingly selling some poor schmuck a munted bike didn’t really sit well with me. So the decision was made to overhaul the cylinder head and possibly make a few improvements, with the recommended guys being CSL Racing in Palmerston North. The complete engine was sent off to CSL and I flew back to work with my wallet trembling in fear.

With the decision made to hang onto the bike I got Brendan at CSL to explore a few options: bigger valves, more porting, big cams, higher compression etc just to allow the ol’ girl to lift her skirts a bit higher. The numbers he came back with were eye watering….don’t forget this is a 20 valve head with titanium inlet valves. A complete set of valves was required, and the OEM Yamaha valves were surprisingly cheap (comparatively), it’s just a pity there are so many of the bloody things. So, new OEM valves with a decent valve job, re-profiled cams (YEC grind as per Brendan’s recommendation), a bit more port work and a wee bump in compression was the final wallet scorching recipe.

The guys at CSL knew of my plans to go Down South and were hopeful of completing the job on time, but with rising stress levels, cost of repairs, rushing the work etc I decided it would be in everyone’s best interest to shelve the trip idea. Unfortunately CSL had been inundated with work for the coming summer racing season it resulted in all their $30-80,000 (I shit you not) racing engines being put ahead of my job worth a tenth of the price. A couple of months go by with a few “should be finished next week” promises, winding down to a few “should be finished tomorrow” type phone calls/emails until I spit the chewy.

I don’t get to many track/race days with my work commitments and I was about to miss another one of the few I’m actually home for, not to mention Tony Rees was going to be there. I tell CSL about the track day and mention that the bloody thing needs to be ready tomorrow as per their promise, ‘cos I’m coming to pick it up. I rock up and sure enough it’s still a collection of lovely looking but unassembled parts. I was ropeable by this stage and made it pretty clear I wasn’t leaving without the completed engine in the back of the car.

To cut a long story not much shorter an all nighter with Glenn, the bike engine guru, ensued with me driving back to Carterton just in time to meet Tony opening T and V at 8am. I’ve got to hand it to Glenn though, he’s a fantastic technician and watching him put this thing together was actually pretty special. Didn’t matter that it was 3-4 in the morning there was still the methodical, one step at a time, right way to do things and that’s exactly what he did. I learnt a hell of a lot just watching him. Their workshop is also a pretty special place and seeing some of the amazing things they do with cylinder heads in particular was a revelation. “What’s that? You want to convert your side draught V8 heads to a semi down draught straight port design? No problem step this way…and here’s a fabricated alloy one off inlet manifold to suit, sir”. As much as they shat me off with the time delays I couldn’t fault their workmanship in any way whatsoever.

The good guys at T and V Motorcycles leapt straight into action. They had it installed and up and running by the time I had gone home and snatched a few hours sleep. Tony had road tested it and reckoned it was pretty soggy through the mid-range, but woke up over about 7000rpm. Glenn and Tony both thought it should be okay for a casual track day. Obviously I would arrange dyno time ASAP but it wasn’t going to happen with just one days notice.

(continued)

slowpoke
16th August 2007, 07:40
After an exploratory road ride, I got to the Taupo track day and basically pitted next door to Tony Rees and his UK mate, who’d ridden for the Phase One Yamaha world endurance team. Tony is obviously an R1 fan and my bike brought back a few memories as he had raced a similar model against it while competing in Oz. Overall it was good to finally throw a leg over the bike and I enjoyed a chat and a few laughs with a NZ motorcycling legend who just happens to be a hell of a nice bloke. As noted before, the bike had a lil’ more top end than previously and was down a bit through the mid range. I like to think I now know what a Yamaha R7 must be like to ride.

ASAP I asked the good folk of KB about the best place to have the bike set up on a dyno and I fell for the charm and good looks of Crasherfromwayback with his recommendation of Wellington Motorcycles. Unfortunately every other bastard had the same idea with weeks of dyno time booked out. I finally managed to sort out a day when I was home and the dyno was available and I rode into Wellington with the prospect of riding home on a new bike…little did I know I wouldn’t be riding home at all…

At sparrows fart on the coldest day I’ve ever ridden in my life, I trickled over the ‘taka’s, swore at the morning traffic on the other side of the hill (fuck battling that everyday) and promptly crapped myself when I glanced at the bike’s water temp. Whaaaat? It’s 0 deg ambient, I’m doing 70kph (fuggin’ traffic) and it’s showing 109 deg and climbing! A few frantic moments later I pull into the ferry terminal to check it out. Things finally cool down and I get the radiator cap off only to see nothing, where there should be coolant. After several trips to the dunny with a milkshake container it’s topped up and I’m on my way. I could feel the storm clouds gathering on the horizon.

I explained the situation to the guys at WMC who go on to check the cooling system and road test it, with no problems found, so onto the dyno it goes. In the mean time I’m nervously drinking coffee, and still more coffee. Just when I’m wondering if a bladder get stretch marks I get that bloody phone call again “Can you pop into the shop for a chat…?” The guys had done a base run and removed the airbox/carbs to change the jets and seen one inlet port was obviously contaminated with what smelt like coolant residue (see good and bad port pic’s below) and the spark plug was visibly water wet. If you are in the lower half of the North Island you’ll know the day ‘cos you will probably have heard me.

Initial discussions centred around a possible blown head gasket so the decision was made to approach CSL to see if they would help out with repairing what I assumed would somehow be their fault. Hats off to him, Brendan was more than happy to accept responsibility if they had cocked up, so the engine was removed and sent back to Palmerston North. It was a despondent Slowpoke who rang his missus to arrange for pick up at the train station. Being the wee champion she is she arced up and drove over the hill to pick me up and see the damage to what is after all her bike. Given the cost and time involved (6 months to this stage) to say the silence in the car on the way home was “uncomfortable” is an understatement.

Have you ever had that feeling where you don’t think things can possibly get any worse…only to find out they can? Yep, that was me right about now. CSL were onto it quick smart this time and soon had the head off. Two things finally became apparent: 1) the engine had been fitted with liners at some stage 2)one of the liners had ever so slightly parted company with the block, causing the coolant leak (see pic below). Good news for CSL, bad news for me and my wallet. With repair estimates that would buy a nice RGV250 what should I do? Buy a second hand motor and fit that? Fit new liners? Disconnect a fuel line and walk away throwing a match over my shoulder? Any of the above was going to cost me big time…..again.

I decided to have CSL carry out the repairs, throwing in new T-top liners (much improved sealing over the thin wall jobbies originally installed), new rings, bearings and oil pump, which combined with the “new and improved” head would amount to a virtually new engine. It blew out the costs even further but I figured it would be false economy not to freshen it up while it was apart. One interesting discovery was the crank had obviously been lightened at some stage. Something had to give to pay for it all so I waved bye bye to the grin Husaberg.

Things progressed pretty well, with a slight complication being the piston-head squish was already at a minimum from the previous build, causing a problem when machining the liners flush with the head surface. The answer was to machine the outer edges of the pistons to suit, more money burnt, but it did give a slight boost in compression as it means the pistons protrude slightly more into the combustion chamber.

Finally I got the email at work a month ago that the engine was complete and had been dispatched to WMC for reinstallation. Talking to Bruce at WMC he assured me the bike would be reassembled, WOF’d, road tested and set up on the dyno ready for when I flew in on my way home….and he was as good as his word. Yep, the ol’girl was waiting for me, cleaner than when I dropped it off…along with another sphincter puckering bill of course.

So how does it go you ask?

Below you’ll see the dyno curves, with a before/after and a comparison to a previously setup K5 GSXR1000. I’ve deleted the numbers ‘cos they really aren’t representative of what people expect to see and I don’t want to start any pissing contests. The numbers themselves aren’t important but the comparisons are interesting. The bike has no bad manners, starts easier (no choke is fitted) and now pulls cleanly from idle to redline in any gear (er, I’m not sure about topping out in 5th and 6th officer) which in itself is no mean feat with a notoriously difficult to tune ram air/carb’s setup.

Overall the exercise has been horrendously expensive but I’ve got a result that I’m pretty happy with. For old school technology the R1 now equates pretty well with modern bikes grunt wise but obviously it shows its age in other areas (I’ve ridden later model gixxer’s, R1’s and ‘blades). Still, I figure its a far better bike than I am a rider (even before the mods) and it gives me a fat a cat couldn’t scratch when I ride it so that’s good enough for me.

Apologies for the delay with the dyno charts, I didn't realise you couldn't upload TIF's. Yeah, I know you can work out hp from torque figures but as I said the figures look pretty bunky so they won't be worth much

Warr
16th August 2007, 08:02
Thanks for the post!
Be interested to know what you ended up spending in case anyone else was in a similar position. .. as in roughly to the nearest 10K :)

slowpoke
16th August 2007, 08:48
Thanks for the post!
Be interested to know what you ended up spending in case anyone else was in a similar position. .. as in roughly to the nearest 10K :)

Are you trying to make me cry again, LOL?

Over 10k....well over...sob!

yod
16th August 2007, 09:22
great write up mate - very interesting - hope you get many moons of happiness out of her....

Warr
16th August 2007, 16:17
Yeiks :shit:
Wow that is some dosh,
As per
hope you get many moons of happiness out of her..
:)

slowpoke
16th August 2007, 22:06
great write up mate - very interesting - hope you get many moons of happiness out of her....

Thanks guys, me too! I didn't want to tempt fate by writing "THE END" at the bottom of the spiel......

Nah, CSL, WMC and Tand V Yamaha have all done some excellent work, the bike feels just like a factory version only stronger and with 750km's under the tyres I'm hoping any problems would have reared their ugly head by now.