PDA

View Full Version : Dry clutches?

Marls
24th August 2007, 17:46
Howzit fello bikers, i just bought a Yamaha TZR... i am quite happy with the thing, but, my friend says that it has a dry clutch, and it will normaly make a loud noise...cause it does, and doesnt have a cover, so u can see it turnin. is this true that these types of clutchs make loud noises.
o and can u change up without using the clutch?

98tls
24th August 2007, 17:48
Reminds me of the dry clutch i had in my 750 ducati..perfectly normal for a dry clutch to be bloody noisy.

Taz
24th August 2007, 18:32
My BMW has a dry clutch and it's super quiet. But then it's hard for just one clutch plate to rattle....:cool:

That TZR is going to make you a poor man. I hope someone paid you alot to take it off them.

motoGP
24th August 2007, 18:46
Dry clutches make a racquet. Interesting to see them spinning around though, expect noise..

laRIKin
24th August 2007, 19:18
Dry clutch's do rattle more as they have no oil to control (slow down) the rattle and damper the noise.

The main advantage is that because they are not in oil they do grip better so do not slip as much. (or so the story goes)

And to me, they do not put clutch dust (crap) in the oil and to me that is a good thing to have, if you can.

98tls
24th August 2007, 19:20
Dry clutch's do rattle more as they have no oil to control (slow down) the rattle and damper the noise.

The main advantage is that because they are not in oil they do grip better so do not slip as much. (or so the story goes)

And to me, they do not put clutch dust (crap) in the oil and to me that is a good thing to have, if you can. Thats a good point,and to be honest one ive never thought of.

McJim
24th August 2007, 19:42
If it sounds like a bunch of tin cans on strings behind a newlyweds car then it's sweet.

Also without the clutch oil more of the crank hp can reach the wheel...bonus!

NighthawkNZ
24th August 2007, 19:46
Hides all the other rattles :)

laRIKin
25th August 2007, 11:36
I would like to add since we are talking about dry clutches.

If it is in-closed, take the cover off now and then and blow out (wearing a mask) all the nasty dust.
And the clutch can be quieter will out hole's in the cover, unless it is a carbon one, they seem to ting more than rattle.

And the down side can be that a dry clutch does wear a bit faster.
And in the rain it can make then slip and if you park your bike over night with a wet clutch, the plates can stick. (think rallies)
So in the morning the bike may jump forward when you put it in gear for the first time, (even with the clutch pulled right in) so be ready if it does.

This will depend on fairing and where the holes are in the cover of course.
But would hate to see someone drop their pride and joy because of it.
Or replace their clutch plates because it slipped on a real wet ride.

PS: I have a KTM and they rattle even tho they are in oil.

Marls
26th August 2007, 22:58
well, good for racing then, but sux to commute, especialy being so inexperienced. I do realize this bike should really be for an advanced rider, but it was a good deal, and it looks awaresome.
I am still havin trouble with hill starts, mayb two strokes require a bit more throttle and let the clutch slide longer to get them rolling on a hill start?

Roj
27th August 2007, 10:02
and it looks awaresome.

A very accurate word, you definitely need to be aware of the awesome power:gob:

McJim
27th August 2007, 10:09
well, good for racing then, but sux to commute, especialy being so inexperienced. I do realize this bike should really be for an advanced rider, but it was a good deal, and it looks awaresome.
I am still havin trouble with hill starts, mayb two strokes require a bit more throttle and let the clutch slide longer to get them rolling on a hill start?

So long as you're level headed there's nothing wrong with it. Practice is how you will get better at hill starts. You'll find out what works for you and that bike.