PDA

View Full Version : Bike fell over, engine stuffed

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:34
well it was late and i was lazy so i made a poor stand for my bike while changing the tyre, and in the night it fell over, my bike was probably on its side for a few hours. now, its all fixed up but it wont start! after 30 seconds of winding over it just backfires (bang!). im thinking that oil has been leaking all through the engine, and checking the sump, theres not as much in it. does anyone know what to do? someone told me to just tow it for ages to clean it out,that sounds pretty harmful though. im thinking i will have to clean the sparkplugs. this must have happened before. any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

ninjac
24th August 2007, 21:39
Take out the plugs and crank it over with them out. Clean the plugs.
Instal plugs and crank over again.
Sorry thats the best I can come up with.

janno
24th August 2007, 21:41
Oh poohs, mate!

I can't help at all, apart from sending virtual hugs your way in commiseration - or a manly handshake, whichever you prefer . . . :msn-wink:

mbazza
24th August 2007, 21:42
Only sympathy from down here. Sorry to hear your bike fell off it's perch. Hope you get some useful advise which will get you back on the road. Cheers. :whistle:

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:43
Take out the plugs and crank it over with them out. Clean the plugs.
Instal plugs and crank over again.
Sorry thats the best I can come up with.

thanks man, will do, im pretty clueless on this.lol

tri boy
24th August 2007, 21:43
Unless it has damaged a side casing that has ignition components in it, I think it will be OK.
Maybe it is flooded. Leave it for a while. Turn the fuel off. Try an start it.
Good luck.

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:44
Oh poohs, mate!

I can't help at all, apart from sending virtual hugs your way in commiseration - or a manly handshake, whichever you prefer . . . :msn-wink:

thanks, a manly handshakes fine.lol

98tls
24th August 2007, 21:45
Some bikes including the TL have a electrical thingy..sorry but i am know expert with electrical things..that will activate if it is tipped over and will need to be re-set......i have no idea if yours is one of them but maybe..

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:46
Only sympathy from down here. Sorry to hear your bike fell off it's perch. Hope you get some useful advise which will get you back on the road. Cheers. :whistle:

thanks, the "she'll be right" attitude isnt recomended for stands :Oops:

dino3310
24th August 2007, 21:49
i agree with ninjac take plugs out and wind her over for a bit ,
bit like when you roll a car just clears the excess oil in the head.

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:50
Unless it has damaged a side casing that has ignition components in it, I think it will be OK.
Maybe it is flooded. Leave it for a while. Turn the fuel off. Try an start it.
Good luck.

thanks, it wasnt very violent so should be sweet. might go turn the fuel off now actually, i guess that would explain the backfiring!

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:51
Some bikes including the TL have a electrical thingy..sorry but i am know expert with electrical things..that will activate if it is tipped over and will need to be re-set......i have no idea if yours is one of them but maybe..

yeah another thing to think about, hopefully its too primitive for that huh. thanks

98tls
24th August 2007, 21:52
thanks, it wasnt very violent so should be sweet. might go turn the fuel off now actually, i guess that would explain the backfiring! If its flooded crank it over with throttle wide open.......if you dont you will just make it worse.

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:53
i agree with ninjac take plugs out and wind her over for a bit ,
bit like when you roll a car just clears the excess oil in the head.

cool thanks, ill try that tomorrow, apparently taking the plugs out of a cbr250 aint easy, but i'll get back to this thread if i do

Milky
24th August 2007, 21:53
Mine did the same thing when I parked it on grass overnight - just needed to wait a while for everything to flow back to the sump and then it started fine. Initially it didn't turn over at all, maybe because of some electrical safeguard... find out where all the oil went then make sure you have a spark. Other than that I can't imagine anything much going wrong

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 21:55
If its flooded crank it over with throttle wide open.......if you dont you will just make it worse.

hmm okay, traditionally that's the last thing i would do, learn something new every day :niceone:

98tls
24th August 2007, 22:01
Let it settle for a bit then as i said crank it with the throttle wide open...same principal as a dirt bike when you have an off that leaves it on its side,it floods and kicking it over winding the throttle is only chucking more gas into the carb........with the throttle wide open it will probably back-fire and fuck about but will clear itself.

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 22:01
Mine did the same thing when I parked it on grass overnight - just needed to wait a while for everything to flow back to the sump and then it started fine. Initially it didn't turn over at all, maybe because of some electrical safeguard... find out where all the oil went then make sure you have a spark. Other than that I can't imagine anything much going wrong

ooh, that option sounds good, jus let it fix itself :cool: i've been tempted to tip it up the other way to the way it fell over, but i have a tendancy to do stupid shit! oh, the electrics seem fine on second thought, i've flattened the battery three times trying to start her up

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 22:02
Let it settle for a bit then as i said crank it with the throttle wide open...same principal as a dirt bike when you have an off that leaves it on its side,it floods and kicking it over winding the throttle is only chucking more gas into the carb........with the throttle wide open it will probably back-fire and fuck about but will clear itself.

interesting, thanks for that man

klyong82
24th August 2007, 22:33
Get your battery charged up if not hook it up to a car battery. Caution just hook it up to the car battery terminals without starting the car/engine as this might fry your cbr electrics. Make sure to hit the kill switch and crank the bike over with the throttle wide open.

Does this make sense? I think to myself anyway all the best

cbr guy
24th August 2007, 22:39
Get your battery charged up if not hook it up to a car battery. Caution just hook it up to the car battery terminals without starting the car/engine as this might fry your cbr electrics. Make sure to hit the kill switch and crank the bike over with the throttle wide open.

Does this make sense? I think to myself anyway all the best

sweet man, i'll try that if it doesnt start tomorrow.
thanks for all the help guys, you make the job soo much easier for me which i appreciate :2thumbsup

smudge
30th August 2007, 21:43
now that it has been sitting a while. If it still wont start give it wide open throttle - no choke - if bikes still have those ... If still no go take out the plugs and give it a spin WITH THE KILL SWITCH OFF!!! Check the plugs arent wet then stick them back in and it should go.

merv
31st August 2007, 08:25
Like 98tls says crank it over with the throttle wide open to clear the carb flooding as it will be more about that than any problem with oil.

If it backfired that's a good sign its trying to start.

FROSTY
3rd September 2007, 21:09
guys lets think this through and offer a full answer.
Allowing ya HAVENT cracked the cases then theres a few things might be wrong.
1)Oiled up plugs --Pull em out ,clean em-preferably sandblast em
2)Oil flowed into the airbox.--Pull the top off the airbox and thouroughly clean it out including the sponge at the end of the crankcase breather.
3) tip over switch tripped--I think--disconnect and reconnect the battery
4)Air bubble in the fuel pump--Prime pump

lanci
4th September 2007, 11:16
Try roll/crash starting it. It generally works for me when my bike doesn't quite want to fire up on cold mornings or low petrol..........

Max Preload
4th September 2007, 16:00
Try roll/crash starting it. It generally works for me when my bike doesn't quite want to fire up on cold mornings or low petrol..........

Indeed. By far the easiest method of starting a bike that either hasn't been run for a long time or is flooded is to pull it along the road until the bitch succumbs and fires into life.

I had a mate with a VF1000F try to start it by winding it over & spraying ether into the induction, flattening the battery, charging the battery, winding it over & spraying ether into the induction, flattening the battery etc. for over 2 weeks before he mentioned it to me. So I went around & got him to tow me down the street behind his van - it was running & idling fine within 100m.

cbr guy
5th September 2007, 16:26
sorry for not getting back to you for a while.
thanks guys, leaving it definately didnt help, damn! so today i got all the spark plugs out (oily as) and cleaned them up and put them back in, man it taken ages! that didn't seem to make it any happier. so ill try again with the spark plugs off (thanks for caps locking "with the kill switch off", i'll be sure to remember it now, i have a history of forgetting the kill switch :wacko: ) so i'll try get on to taking them out tonight and getting back to you all, much more productive than seeing my girlfriend tonight on our anniversary thingy! :dodge:
cheers

cbr guy
6th September 2007, 21:35
IT'S ALIVE!
so i taken all the plugs out, buffed them right up, turned over the engine with spark plugs out for a couple minutes to be safe, chucked them back in and. . . it refused to start. so yeah, i got pretty dam annoyed, so i just hooked the battery up to the charger and held on to the ignition for about five minutes to see what happened, and it eventually coughed out all of this coal-like crap, whatever that was, but who cares it was working! so yeah, went for a wee ride, its still abit smokey and starts spluttering abit in the high revs, but that's gonna burn right off after a couple rides im thinking.
so anyway, just thanking everyone for all of the help, it's appreciated alot.
cheers, ben

TonyB
6th September 2007, 21:45
If its flooded crank it over with throttle wide open.......if you dont you will just make it worse.Yup. If its flooded, which it probably is, winding it over at full throttle and not opening closing it all the time is the best way to get it going quickly.

Why was it left on its side for so long?

Max Preload
6th September 2007, 22:59
IT'S ALIVE!
so i taken all the plugs out, buffed them right up, turned over the engine with spark plugs out for a couple minutes to be safe, chucked them back in and. . . it refused to start. so yeah, i got pretty dam annoyed, so i just hooked the battery up to the charger and held on to the ignition for about five minutes to see what happened, and it eventually coughed out all of this coal-like crap, whatever that was, but who cares it was working! so yeah, went for a wee ride, its still abit smokey and starts spluttering abit in the high revs, but that's gonna burn right off after a couple rides im thinking.
so anyway, just thanking everyone for all of the help, it's appreciated alot.
cheers, ben

Should have just tow started it. Winding over for that long continuously is not good for your starter. Having the battery charger connected while winding wasn't a good idea either - you could have fucked it.

Is all this fucking around really worth the hassle? What's a set of plugs worth?

Katman
6th September 2007, 23:14
And opening and closing the throttle isn't going to flood it any more then it is unless the carbs have an accelerator pump - which yours doesn't. Winding it over on full throttle (with no choke) is to get maximum air flowing through the engine to dry the cylinders out.

lanci
7th September 2007, 09:56
Yep, crash/roll/tow starting it would have worked within 20-30 metres of an incline or pull with out any issues I reckon but...........good stuff on getting it running.

cbr guy
7th September 2007, 22:06
Yup. If its flooded, which it probably is, winding it over at full throttle and not opening closing it all the time is the best way to get it going quickly.

Why was it left on its side for so long?

my bike fell over some time in the night, so it was left on its side for ages, not a good thing to wake up to in the morning!lol

cbr guy
7th September 2007, 22:10
Should have just tow started it. Winding over for that long continuously is not good for your starter. Having the battery charger connected while winding wasn't a good idea either - you could have fucked it.

Is all this fucking around really worth the hassle? What's a set of plugs worth?

oh well, thank god it didn't get wasted then aye!
yeah, definately worth it man, great to get my bike going! $50