PDA

View Full Version : DR350 - possible carb problems

cynna
25th August 2007, 14:17
i was coming home from work this morning and managed to get half way home (7km) when the bike just cut out and died

i could kick start it and it would idle roughly but when i touched the throttle it would die

any ideas as to why????

its a suzuki dr350. kick start - no battery. been running fine since i have had it about 2 months

tri boy
25th August 2007, 14:49
Do usual checks. Drain carb, remove/check sparplug.
Possibly blocked fuel jet, fuel starvation etc.
Good luck.

buggsubique
25th August 2007, 14:58
Agreed. Depends how confident (and remembering there is only one way to gain confidence!) you are with nuts and bolts. My check would be to unhook the throttle cables, loosen off the rubber boots either side of the carb and pull it right out.

Get a can of compressed air (suprisingly expensive stuff...) if you haven't got a compressor and take the bowl off the carb, have a squiz in it for any crud (sand etc) that might be blocking the jets.

Without getting into the inner workings of a carb, which I know f*ck all about, generally a good blow though of all holes & jets will dislodge anything that shouldn't be in there. Anything more than that and it's off to the shop for me...

young1
25th August 2007, 22:04
Check to make sure that the tank breather is not blocked. To do this try it with the fuel tank cap off.

The drain carb bowl etc.

warewolf
25th August 2007, 22:07
i could kick start it and it would idle roughly but when i touched the throttle it would die

any ideas as to why????Possibly crud in the float bowl. My DR-Z250 did the same thing a couple of times, the problem was a large lump of crud that would get sucked into the main jet.

dino3310
25th August 2007, 22:08
if you have got shit in the carb dont forget to check the fuel filters

cynna
27th August 2007, 19:57
thanks guys. i will have a go at cleaning out the carb then

boman
29th August 2007, 18:58
Before you go to the trouble of removing the carburettors, make sure that it is not a problem with the breather. I had a similar problem to yours, bike would go then stop for no reason. The fuel tank breather wasn't working as it should. Easy way to find out is open gas cap and seeif the bike will go at all. Might take a while for fuel to come through, but if it works you could save yourself alot of trouble. Hope this helps at all.

:niceone:

cynna
4th September 2007, 13:37
took the carb into the shop and they just got back to me to say the top of the needle had broken off. anyone else had that trouble