PDA

View Full Version : Looks like 80 dont work either

Blakamin
4th October 2004, 16:18
Caught a quick earful today of another fatality on the "killer highway"
just before midday allegedly.

might pay to watch the news

on a brighter note, a policeman was involved in an accident in paraparaumu and broke his leg on his motorcycle after a collision with a car... bloody cage drivers :angry2: the lady in the car was unhurt. police are investigating

merv
4th October 2004, 18:36

on a brighter note, a policeman was involved in an accident in paraparaumu and broke his leg on his motorcycle after a collision with a car... bloody cage drivers :angry2: the lady in the car was unhurt. police are investigating

Yeah like I said on Wkid's thread:

As for cage accidents, the killer highway claimed another life today. So remember its not the bike or cage to blame its the road as it always gets the blame, so go off-road that's the only really safe place eh! I am sure Motu would agree. Maybe this should open up the road versus dirt experience debate again. I am sure dirt experience helps immensely because you learn to ride without worrying about the bike moving about under you.

Also learning from bins on the dirt at a somewhat slower speed and with a less expensive and harder to break machine isn't a bad way to gain experience.

Blakamin
4th October 2004, 18:41
Maybe they'll realise 80 doesnt make any difference and put it back up to 100.
cant wait to see how many people run into the cheese wire when it goes up :wacko:

merv
4th October 2004, 18:43
I hear a truck was involved this time, but don't know who strayed over the centreline.

Blakamin
4th October 2004, 18:50
ohhh shit.... bout time they built another way me thinks. (and I dont do that very often)
it is alot of people trying to see the sea and the smooth road.... stick a few speed humps in... that'll wake them up

StoneChucker
4th October 2004, 19:56
Thats a rather nice piece of road (except for the bike getting sea spray on it). That road, in a cage, is more than safe at 100, in a bike, well I'd feel happy in EXCESS of 120. So I truly don't believe it's the speed. And as for people drifting over the centre line? There are centre lines in thousands of other places in NZ, so why is this a higher accident spot than others?

My best guess would be that it's slightly narrower than most SH's, and since it's closer to Wgtn, than say Auck, drivers from Auck or wherever, would be getting tired while passing through there. I think it would make a considerable difference if people DID actually take rest stops, and share driving if possible.

Of course, it may be a combination of tiredness, narrow road, impatientness and the bermuda triangle effect. Whatever it is, it is sad to see people killed so often. I think the "chicken wire" will almost certainly catch people out, but they may be the same people who were going to drift over the centre line, and head-on someone else. Hopefully the wire barrier will keep the mess to one side of the road. It of course does have it's own draw backs, which have already been discussed (restricted access of emergency vehicles for example), but I'd hope that if necessary, they'd use the Westpac Trust chopper for anything that serious.

Skunk
4th October 2004, 20:34
The problem is the bends! Do you know how far you travel while repling to the last text message? You can get right over the centerline before you realise there was a corner. Take out the bends - it'll make texting safer!
(Or whatever it is they're doing instead of DRIVING! :angry2: )

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 07:57
people are terrified of that big, scary concrete wall!...and then there's "Oh look, we can see the ocean, and kapiti island. go over the other side so that wall isn't in the way"

riffer
5th October 2004, 08:11
*sigh* yet another one...:mellow:

Time to get rid of that island - its just too damn distracting.

Go the Paekakariki Rd instead.

http://www.kapiti.org.nz/paekakariki-hill.jpg

marty
5th October 2004, 08:25
My best guess would be that it's slightly narrower than most SH's, and since it's closer to Wgtn, than say Auck, drivers from Auck or wherever, would be getting tired while passing through there. I think it would make a considerable difference if people DID actually take rest stops, and share driving if possible.

the road thru mererere is probably worse at the moment than the wellington road - windy, bumpy, no passing for 10km, 80k limit, and worse of all has high speed double lanes at each end of it. there are still plenty of crashes in that stretch, and there will be until the expressway is finished. there is nothing worse than coming off the expressway and being backed up behind 20 cars at 70km/h. i have seen some ridiculous impatience in my travels thru there recently. i have been travelling thru at 0400-0500am for the past 2 months, and it is so bad (bumpy and windy) that i find myself slowing 20-30k under my motorway cruising speed, or it's just too uncomfortable. oh and did i mention that it is often foggy (real waikato fog too) there?

vifferman
5th October 2004, 08:32
http://www.kapiti.org.nz/paekakariki-hill.jpgWhat a fantastic photo!
The problem is NOT the roads, it's not the speed limits, the weather conditions, the safety of the vehicle or anything else. It's driver attitude. If drivers were properly educated, trained, and had the right attitude to driving, then there would be virtually no road deaths or injuries.
THINK ABOUT IT....

spudchucka
5th October 2004, 08:45
What a fantastic photo!
The problem is NOT the roads, it's not the speed limits, the weather conditions, the safety of the vehicle or anything else. It's driver attitude. If drivers were properly educated, trained, and had the right attitude to driving, then there would be virtually no road deaths or injuries.
THINK ABOUT IT....
All they have to do is stay on their own side of the road, its really not that hard to do.

DarkNinja
5th October 2004, 09:03
The problem is the bends! Do you know how far you travel while repling to the last text message? You can get right over the centerline before you realise there was a corner. Take out the bends - it'll make texting safer!
(Or whatever it is they're doing instead of DRIVING! :angry2: )
It IS comfortable for bikes to go thru it coz theres nothing different than any other normal road. As far as cages go though, you lose every radio station except something like newstalk ZB, so people are screwing round with their reception or cd collection or something like that...

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 09:08

Only if you're riding a bike. dont need anymore cars up there. the cages can go along the killer highway

well pointed out DN! thats probably exactly what they're doing

rodgerd
5th October 2004, 09:12

Killer road, my arse. Driver of high-end Subaru Legacy sedan crosses the road and hits a truck. Oh, sorry, according to the paper the car crossed the road.

Beware the killer cars! Beware the killer roads! Heaven forbid we suggest that people might like to pull their heads out of their arses and (a) not overtake unsafely and (b) not drive so fast they can't make corners on their own side of the road.

rodgerd
5th October 2004, 09:15
Thats a rather nice piece of road (except for the bike getting sea spray on it). That road, in a cage, is more than safe at 100, in a bike, well I'd feel happy in EXCESS of 120. So I truly don't believe it's the speed. And as for people drifting over the centre line? There are centre lines in thousands of other places in NZ, so why is this a higher accident spot than others?

My experience when I used to go up and down that stretch semi-regularly was that fuckwits heading north would come hooning down the hill out of the restricted speed zone on the hill, and it was common for morons going both ways to overtake where it wasn't sensible.

Pwalo
5th October 2004, 09:39
All they have to do is stay on their own side of the road, its really not that hard to do.

Well said. Still can't understand how a lot of accidents occur. I'm sure that a lot of cage drivers have never been taught to look as far ahead as possible, not fixate on the vehicle in front of them, and plan an escape route (ok not a lot of choice on SH1).

Roads, lamposts etc don't tend to move a lot.

Hitcher
5th October 2004, 14:51
Instead of cheesecutter barrier, why not use the same flexible marker pegs that go on the side of the highway, but down the middle? They would make a great flacking noise when hit by a car, provide a visual psychological barrier and not hinder emergency vehicles.

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 15:06
Instead of cheesecutter barrier, why not use the same flexible marker pegs that go on the side of the highway, but down the middle? They would make a great flacking noise when hit by a car, provide a visual psychological barrier and not hinder emergency vehicles.

Thats probably the best idea yet... move up here and vote for you for mayor!

Pwalo
5th October 2004, 15:09

It's got to be better than a cheesecutter, or trying to put a solid barrier. Remarkably lucid for a Tuesday.

Ghost Lemur
5th October 2004, 19:16
I gotta agree, that's a damn on to it idea Hitcher.

Or what about those "rumble strips"? Wouldn't have the same psychological effect, but would have the noise effect. They use them down here on the sides of the roads south out of Christchurch for a weeways. Think they were a trial, dunno if they've resulted them yet.

Blakamin
5th October 2004, 19:23
I gotta agree, that's a damn on to it idea Hitcher.

Or what about those "rumble strips"? Wouldn't have the same psychological effect, but would have the noise effect. They use them down here on the sides of the roads south out of Christchurch for a weeways. Think they were a trial, dunno if they've resulted them yet.
they've got them but they obviously arent working either

jimbo600
5th October 2004, 20:34

The best way to ensure safe cage drivers is to place a sharp metal spike protruding from the steering column aiming at the drivers head. You can bet your bottom dollar that they'll drive damn careful then. Keep 'em tuned in to what they're doing.

scumdog
5th October 2004, 20:42
The best way to ensure safe cage drivers is to place a sharp metal spike protruding from the steering column aiming at the drivers head. You can bet your bottom dollar that they'll drive damn careful then. Keep 'em tuned in to what they're doing.

That old chestnut was in the papers a few (lot) of years ago, everybody took it as gospel that it was for real and a lot of flack flew for a couple of weeks, still a good idea though cos it would bloody work :pinch:

jimbo600
5th October 2004, 20:53
That old chestnut was in the papers a few (lot) of years ago, everybody took it as gospel that it was for real and a lot of flack flew for a couple of weeks, still a good idea though cos it would bloody work :pinch:

Only been in NZ since Feb 97. A mate in UK suggested it and I thought it was a top idea. Piss you off if you dropped ya fags on the floor and went to pick them up and get a spike in the eye.

Lou Girardin
6th October 2004, 06:01
Look you lot, you know that the only reason people crash is speeding. We've been told often enough.
Why, just the other day a young father took off with his infant daughter after a fight with his wife. He crashed into a tree, killed himself and injured the baby. A Police spokes-genius said "speed was a factor". Not the emotional upset or even autocide, nope the company line is 'always blame speed'.
I thought that when they got rid of the old Police helmets, the incidence of brain cell damage through overheating was reduced.
In some cases, it appears not.

scumdog
6th October 2004, 06:39
Look you lot, you know that the only reason people crash is speeding. We've been told often enough.
Why, just the other day a young father took off with his infant daughter after a fight with his wife. He crashed into a tree, killed himself and injured the baby. A Police spokes-genius said "speed was a factor". Not the emotional upset or even autocide, nope the company line is 'always blame speed'.
I thought that when they got rid of the old Police helmets, the incidence of brain cell damage through overheating was reduced.

Nice troll Lou - a bit puerile though even for you!!

Surprisingly a lot of the public think "speed as a factor" or "excessive speed" mean exceeding the speed limit! - like when a guy low sides into an oncoming truck because he went into a 55km corner at about 80km on a wet road, you would be surprised at the number of people that'll say "but it's the open road and he was only doing 80km so how can they blame speed?" like, DUH!!!! :bash:

spudchucka
6th October 2004, 07:57
You really are getting desperate. If speed was a factor does that mean that it was the ultimate cause? No! It means it was a factor, something that contributed to the cause of the crash or the damage done in the crash.

But you just hear what you want to hear and have the audacity to accuse the police as an organisation, all 7000 or so of them of having brain cell damage. :tugger:

rodgerd
6th October 2004, 08:39

The problem is that you're assuming the asshats crossing the centre line aren't aware of what they're doing - a lot of them are running ragged across lanes because they're going too fast, or passing where they shouldn't.

sAsLEX
6th October 2004, 08:53
Only been in NZ since Feb 97. A mate in UK suggested it and I thought it was a top idea. Piss you off if you dropped ya fags on the floor and went to pick them up and get a spike in the eye.

Anyone seen Final Destination 2?? That has an airbag impaleing sp? some woman

Pwalo
6th October 2004, 10:29
The problem is that you're assuming the asshats crossing the centre line aren't aware of what they're doing - a lot of them are running ragged across lanes because they're going too fast, or passing where they shouldn't.

Hopefully if there was something that was going to hit their beloved cage they'd ease off. Might be a bit scary on the old bike though!

Good to see the old chestnut about excessive speed being raised. The reality is that we all need to ride/drive to the prevailing conditions. Sometimes it just isn't safe to do the listed speed. Speed is great, excessive speed's just taking the piss sometimes.

Lou Girardin
6th October 2004, 12:46
You really are getting desperate. If speed was a factor does that mean that it was the ultimate cause? No! It means it was a factor, something that contributed to the cause of the crash or the damage done in the crash.

But you just hear what you want to hear and have the audacity to accuse the police as an organisation, all 7000 or so of them of having brain cell damage. :tugger:

Thank you, you've just proved my point.
Read the post c a r e f u l l y. I did write 'some' Or do you only see what you want to see.
Saying factor is just using weasel words, the impression your masters clearly want to give is that speeding (exceeding the speed limit) kills.
Do you get extra pay for trying to defend them?
Lou

spudchucka
6th October 2004, 13:49
Read the post c a r e f u l l y. I did write 'some' Or do you only see what you want to see.
Saying factor is just using weasel words, the impression your masters clearly want to give is that speeding (exceeding the speed limit) kills.
Lou
Al right if you want to be a picky pratt, as usual, the word "some" was used by you in this line,

where it is clearly included in a statement intended only to take the piss and proves nothing other than the fact that your head is firmly planted up your own arse.

The Oxford dictionary defines "factor" as "one of several things that cause or influence". Does that meaning somehow change when it comes from the vocal cords of a person that happens to wear a police uniform?

Regardless of whatever BS you want to spout on about anyone with at least half a normal dose of common sense can see that speed is always going to be a relevant FACTOR in the causes of and damage done in motor vehicle crashes.

No I don't get extra pay for defending them, shame though because your mindless drivel would eventually make me a millionaire.

scumdog
6th October 2004, 13:54

Lou

None of us have to "defend" our "masters" Lou,stop trolling !!! anyway "it's the law", go argue with those that make it and get it changed OR take the consequences if you break the law as it stands - your choice :msn-wink: .

Never felt guilty or had any loss of sleep for the tickets I've issued and I bet none of the others do so best you find another windmill to joust against Don Lou. :spudwave:

Oh, does exceeding the speed limit NEVER kill?? :wacko: :blah: :spudwhat:

Marmoot
6th October 2004, 15:08
this debate proves to be quite hard even for the skilled die-hard jehovah's witness debater
:mellow:

Hitcher
6th October 2004, 15:59
this debate proves to be quite hard even for the skilled die-hard jehovah's witness debater
:mellow:
Yea, verily. Where more than one of ye shall be gathered in fervent discussion, ye shall henceforth be known as massed debaters!

marty
6th October 2004, 19:22
speed was a factor, as was probably alcohol, drugs, previous convictions, his childhood, etc etc. what killed him though was hitting a tree at SPEED, not at DRUGS, or at ALCOHOL.....

Lou Girardin
6th October 2004, 19:52
Isn't life very simple when you see it in black and white. But it does seem that issues such as mass public manipulation zoom straight over some heads. Then again, how do you live with yourself in these days of enforced near-zero tolerance unless you do convince yourself that your masters are correct.
Saying X was a factor is meaningless unless you mention all the other factors and their relative importance.
Even the redoubtable Mr Knackstedt of the LTSA was quoted as saying that they know fatigue is a major factor in fatals, but because it's not tied to an enforcement regime they are not going to emphasise it. (That means no revenue = no publicity)
You only need to look a short time in the past to see the progression from drink driving as the big killer, (which I do agree with) to speed being the No 1 demon. Of course, as in the UK and Aust. the figures had to be 'massaged' to give the "30% of fatal accidents are caused by excessive speed" mantra.
Funny how the same techniques are used in diferent countries. Orwellian?
And Spud, it seems from your posts, that the reason you love your job so much is that you always try to get the last word, ( a ticket). Your lack of a rational argument is displayed by your constant resort to abuse. Not only to me, but to everyone you don't agree with.
It's not an encouraging sign. Stress is far too common in your job.
Chill out, have a laugh. Lifes too short to take so seriously.

marty
6th October 2004, 19:56
oh he's laughing alright lou.

spudchucka
6th October 2004, 20:42
And Spud, it seems from your posts, that the reason you love your job so much is that you always try to get the last word, ( a ticket).
You're a great pot for calling the kettle black. I don't write many tickets actually, you just assume that I do, like you assume so many other things too.

Your lack of a rational argument
Your narrow minded outlook and inability to mask your irrational hatred for police makes any arguement you put forward a simple smear attack on the integrity of all police officers.

is displayed by your constant resort to abuse. Not only to me, but to everyone you don't agree with.
If calling a spade a spade and bullshit bullshit them I'm guilty as charged. But I haven't abused anyone, you'll know when I'm abusing you. I'll admit to trading insults with your borish self however.

It's not an encouraging sign. Stress is far too common in your job.
What would you actually know about being a police officer in todays society??? Nothing! So don't presume to be an expert just because you were once a traffic cop.

Again you make presumptions. You speak as if you actually know something about me. I'm very relaxed, having a great time and I piss myself silly most times that I read anything wrtten by you. You should take your own advice my friend and not take things so seriously.

scumdog
6th October 2004, 21:02
Isn't life very simple when you see it in black and white. But it does seem that issues such as mass public manipulation zoom straight over some heads. Then again, how do you live with yourself in these days of enforced near-zero tolerance unless you do convince yourself that your masters are correct.

And your ideas on how to keep people to a reasonable speed is????

It's not neccessary to "convince ourselves our masters are correct", it's the Law so we uphold it, don't like it? - change it or piss off to a country where the law suits you ideas. :shake:

Or is this just yet another 'troll'?

Have a nice day

MacD
6th October 2004, 22:00
Nice troll Lou - a bit puerile though even for you!!

Surprisingly a lot of the public think "speed as a factor" or "excessive speed" mean exceeding the speed limit! - like when a guy low sides into an oncoming truck because he went into a 55km corner at about 80km on a wet road, you would be surprised at the number of people that'll say "but it's the open road and he was only doing 80km so how can they blame speed?" like, DUH!!!! :bash:

I'm sure you know the reason for this!? It's because this is the exact logic that the LTSA promotes when they use statistics regarding "speed as a factor" in accidents to support the strict enforcement of "speed limits". In other words the message people get is that 99kmh = safe, 101kmh = killer. That's the problem with the simplistic ad campaigns we see at the moment. No emphasis on appropriate speed, just speed limits. Also pictures of police hiding in bushes with laser guns in order to catch people exceeding the speed limit rather than patrolling looking for inappropriate driving behaviour further reinforces this view.

MacD
6th October 2004, 22:03
It's not neccessary to "convince ourselves our masters are correct", it's the Law so we uphold it, don't like it? - change it or piss off to a country where the law suits you ideas. :shake:

I think Lou is already trying the first option. I guess that's the nice thing about a democracy, you can try and get laws changed - even if other people seem to disagree with Lou's methods in this case!?

Also I must admit I start to get a bit edgy when I see members of agencies such as the Police start to pull out the old "we don't make the laws, we only enforce them" - that's heading down the "only following orders" path, isn't it?

Now was that a troll or is that something worth thinking about?

scumdog
6th October 2004, 22:14
I'm sure you know the reason for this!? It's because this is the exact logic that the LTSA promotes when they use statistics regarding "speed as a factor" in accidents to support the strict enforcement of "speed limits". In other words the message people get is that 99kmh = safe, 101kmh = killer. That's the problem with the simplistic ad campaigns we see at the moment. No emphasis on appropriate speed, just speed limits. Also pictures of police hiding in bushes with laser guns in order to catch people exceeding the speed limit rather than patrolling looking for inappropriate driving behaviour further reinforces this view.

You have a damn good point! Trouble is a lot of "the public" are too damn stupid to know when to blow their nose let alone figure out when it is safe to do a particular speed, hence the govt. does its best to cope for these bozos by posting speed limits suitable for them (most of the time) and the rest of us have to fall into line :spudwhat: :wacko:

Velox
6th October 2004, 22:27
You've got to admit - there are a lot more 'factors' for most of the accidents, it's just that speed is the current campaign push and so it's mentioned every time everytime an accident is reported - even if it was not a factor. It's a kind of blatant socialisation, but that's what it's meant to be (ie. it's not that the cops are being 'cunning' or anything - they're "raising awareness"). It's interesting though seeing how it all works - the media purposefully mentions 'speed' in every accident report and people begin to think that the two can't be separated. An interesting case-study for how to manipulate society's thinking!
(I'm not saying it's all crap - just that a lot of it is pretty over the top).

rodgerd
7th October 2004, 10:11
And your ideas on how to keep people to a reasonable speed is????

Why would you want Lou's advice? Far more people were getting killed on the roads when he was in the job.

marty
7th October 2004, 11:20
well the roads were MUCH more dangerous back then

spudchucka
7th October 2004, 11:32
It's interesting though seeing how it all works - the media purposefully mentions 'speed' in every accident report and people begin to think that the two can't be separated. An interesting case-study for how to manipulate society's thinking!
The media do this all the time. Whenever there is a nasty homicide the media beats it up to the point where people start to believe that extreme violence is out of control. Thats just one example but as I said they do it all the time.

merv
7th October 2004, 11:56
With the media the trouble is headlines are headlines and whatever it is, its what sticks out on the day, but in the total scheme of life many of these things in truth are a drop in the bucket no matter how exaggerated they are.

If they wanted to they could scare everyone out of Wellington with earthquake warnings now that Lynda has told us about this morning's one.

Then the killer highway would kill as everyone streamed out of town - or would it? Because no one would be going the other way.

MD
7th October 2004, 15:00
Time to drag this thread back on course. I may be wrong but I think the last 3 fatal crashes involved the southbound vehicle crossing the centreline. Wonder what the stats show on this over the past few years. I do the trip in the car a fair bit and I know I drive out of Wgtn nervous as and pay attention but coming home its a different story, tired, less attentive, just want to get home syndrome. Anyway, seven dead in seven months is out of control and one was a good workmate of mine. Yes its true its always been one of the drivers fault but there is no, just add water and mix, instant, nationwide cure to poor driving. There is however, a 'just add water and mix' concrete solution- widen the road and give the innocent victims an escape route.
If LTSA/Transit can find stats showing its a southbound car issue then they will simply solve the problem by creating a special tax on southbound vehicles. Anything but spend money to fix the bloody road that must somehow be contributing to these terrible unnecessary deaths
MD.

rodgerd
7th October 2004, 15:33
The media do this all the time. Whenever there is a nasty homicide the media beats it up to the point where people start to believe that extreme violence is out of control. Thats just one example but as I said they do it all the time.

It's a case of whatever sells. People seem to enjoy picking up the paper and given a fright about "carjackings" or "home invasions" or whatever.

rodgerd
7th October 2004, 15:38
Yes its true its always been one of the drivers fault but there is no, just add water and mix, instant, nationwide cure to poor driving.

No, but given the drop-off in fatalities in the last 20 odd years, at least some of the changes since I started driving - graduated licensing, drink-driving enforcement, speed enforcement, better cars, tighter WOFs - must be having a good, positive influence. Sadly, we're retreating from that with the alochol lobby trying to wind back enforcement on liquor law enforcement or entending them, and compulory retesting coming under fire from Grey Power.

There is however, a 'just add water and mix' concrete solution- widen the road and give the innocent victims an escape route.

Well, just add water and tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, plus the cacophany of whining that will occur when the works are going on. Then we'll hear the bitching about taxes and road works. Everyone wants to go to heaven, no-one wants to die.

Blakamin
7th October 2004, 15:45
Well, just add water and tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, plus the cacophany of whining that will occur when the works are going on. Then we'll hear the bitching about taxes and road works. Everyone wants to go to heaven, no-one wants to die.
Yesterdays kapiti news stated that many people want to build a new seawall, fill in the gap and put 2 lanes on it. at a cost of $100m and 2 years, thus keeping what we have for at least the next 2 years.. where as transmission gully is 10 times that price and 5 times as long...
Unfortunately, none of this can be started until October next year due to the fact finding mission they just started....
A year. for someone to tell them that people die..... well done. idiots

(all the above is from memory so don't quote me on prices)

Deano
7th October 2004, 15:53
*sigh* yet another one...:mellow:

Time to get rid of that island - its just too damn distracting.

http://www.kapiti.org.nz/paekakariki-hill.jpg

This stupid bitch in a cage was admiring the view from the top of Peakak hill last weekend - you think she would have stopped at the lookout, but no, she decides its much safer to just slow right down and meander to the left of the (narrow) road, no indication , nothing...