PDA

View Full Version : Ride this weekend, 7-9 September

motorbyclist
2nd September 2007, 16:31
my dad is looking at riding down to new plymouth for business reasons: plan is to ride down there on friday morning, have a look around, stay in a hotel or something and return saturday...

it's (alledgedly) a 6 hour trip each way, but i'm sure the fast group could cut that down to 4:msn-wink:

is anyone interested? i don't think riding there and back in one day is a good idea, but for those who can't do a 2-dayer maybe just turn back around taupo or half way somewhere, and/or meet us on our way back on saturday.

we'll need to be organised by wednesday.

seems like a good way to end the holidays:Punk:

note ride postponed till the summer sometime, see the thread about this sunday's ride for road riding, i'm going to woodhill on saturday

twinkle
2nd September 2007, 16:40
6 hours? i'm pretty sure that isn't right :scratch:

motorbyclist
2nd September 2007, 17:09
it's what i'm told

janno
2nd September 2007, 17:41
Four and a half is more like it, and that's not caning it either. Five if you have a coupla leisurely coffee breaks.

motorbyclist
2nd September 2007, 22:46
lol make it saturday's day trip then!

twinkle
3rd September 2007, 05:54
I'd be in for a day trip to NP, and there is a back road that is partly gravel I haven't been down yet that is on the way :shifty: The gn might be frustratingly slow for you though :Pokey:

canarlee
3rd September 2007, 14:11
I'd be in for a day trip to NP, and there is a back road that is partly gravel I haven't been down yet that is on the way :shifty: The gn might be frustratingly slow for you though :Pokey:

highway 43 is the way you want to go for the "back road", via whangamomona (sp?). there is about 10 ks of unsealed road there. i did it in the pissing rain on the bandit with no problems. the gravel is at the northern end of that highway, get past that bit and its a fantastic road!

also you must stop here on the way! awesome people and awesome food! its about halfway between te kuiti and new plymouth. no gas stations though!!!
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5922/pictures026oo3.jpg

twinkle
3rd September 2007, 16:21
I know it! nice road that, i would go there any time:drool:

This was the road I was thinking of though, or thereabouts. I haven't been down the backroads out this way yet, does anyone know what they are like?

It's looking unlikely I will be going for a long ride this weekend now though :weep: I might have to settle for a quick local ride instead.

canarlee
3rd September 2007, 16:25
pm inlinefour! he is from NP and is a big fan of gravel roads! he will be able to tell you the best roads i think!?

motorbyclist
3rd September 2007, 17:40
lol i don't think my vfr would take too well to gravel...

my dad has since decided he doesn't need to go down there, but i'm stiill keen for a day-trip on saturday with enough interest

canarlee
3rd September 2007, 17:43
well im in napier so its a no from me lol!

and if my 1250 can do the little bit of gravel in the pissing rain then the VFR can too....

mind its unsealed road rather than gravel.

motorbyclist
3rd September 2007, 18:12
seriously, it's just scary, and i'll munt my fairings and radiator with stones...

hell, the way i abuse my clutch and brakes it can't even manage wet highway without some sideways action

motorbyclist
3rd September 2007, 18:15
i'm thinking maybe we should save this trip for the summer break when we have more time to organise... maybe this weekend's ride should just be a small local one...

how does the road out to piha and/or bethels sound?

canarlee
3rd September 2007, 18:18
no i said!

im not coming from napier this weekend!:p

twinkle
3rd September 2007, 19:12
no i said!

im not coming from napier this weekend!:p

aww go on, its not THAT far away :done:
Bethells/whatipu/piha/muriwai/karekare are all good :woohoo:

ehab2weelr
3rd September 2007, 19:43
u must be out off ur f**kin minds riding on loose gravel...:blink:
2 of my mates binned there bikes hard when there rear wheele lost traction on the loose gravel on one some f**ked up roads.....

twinkle
3rd September 2007, 20:50
Learn to ride comfortably on loose gravel and f**ked up roads start getting much less scary, seriously! :Punk:

bomma
3rd September 2007, 21:36
u must be out off ur f**kin minds riding on loose gravel...:blink:
2 of my mates binned there bikes hard when there rear wheele lost traction on the loose gravel on one some f**ked up roads.....

wat are you worried bout gravel for ehab?? thers more gravel on your bike than there is on the road!! try and keep upright aye :lol:

cant make the ride sori andrew....haf fun and ride safe

motorbyclist
4th September 2007, 00:22
ride safe? me? hell if i'm not following someone every second corner ends in panic...

and twinkie, have you tried riding a sport bike on gravel? the stance, weight, gearing and handling are all wrong for it; one slip of either wheel and it's all over. atleast on the seal you've got half a second before it's too late - and then the fairing damage from stones even if you dont fall, and the radiator scooping up everything off your wheel, AND the suspension is NOT made for potholes or bumps of any kind

twinkle
4th September 2007, 08:35
Yes, but there is no reason to go that fast that it's an issue, is there :yes:
A mate followed me up s.h.38 on a cbr250rrrrr, and recently to cape reinga on an nsr250, no problem at all :sunny:

klyong82
4th September 2007, 10:31
I dont mind riding a sportbike on gravel but only thing that worries me is stones/gravel denting/damaging my radiator. It is hard enough finding parts for my bike so better be safe than sorry.

breakaway
4th September 2007, 10:57
I dont mind riding a sportbike on gravel but only thing that worries me is stones/gravel denting/damaging my radiator. It is hard enough finding parts for my bike so better be safe than sorry.

Same here. And the state that my bike's in, I don't think it'd matter too much if I got a few stone chips on the fairing :third:

Last ride I got a few stones in the face from Babyblade's bike, so I just backed off. Just fall back a bit, and you'll be alright :banana:

twinkle
4th September 2007, 11:10
I love air cooled naked bikes :first:

klyong82
4th September 2007, 11:44
Last ride I got a few stones in the face from Babyblade's bike, so I just backed off. Just fall back a bit, and you'll be alright :banana:

Oohh be careful you dun wanna scratch that nice iridium helmet visor of yours. I once was riding behind squiggles and a big patch of his chain lube coated with gunt flew onto my visor on the motorway. I could not see and was not able to wipe it off till I reached home. Took me 15 mins to gently clean it off without scratching my visor. haha

ehab2weelr
4th September 2007, 12:59
I love air cooled naked bikes :first:

i love air cooling....:banana:
but not a big fan of nakeds..nono
they look like an unfinished bike...:rolleyes:

2wheeljunkie
4th September 2007, 16:03
broo nakeds are mean..what r u on abt man..:angry2:

ehab2weelr
4th September 2007, 16:07

hay i have my taste and u have urs....:rolleyes:
so go buy ur unfinished bike if u love them so much :buggerd:
:wari:

2wheeljunkie
4th September 2007, 16:10
nobody said u hav to be mean abt it u prat...:laugh: maybe i will go buy me a z1000.!:Punk:

motorbyclist
4th September 2007, 19:01
lol, ever seen a full fairing bike missing most it's front? now that can look cool with all the exposed engine/radiators/wires and headlight sticking out the front...

and i once saw a '06 r6 without the top/front bit and just a motox number board intead of a headlight (still had the side bits sticking forward); looked mean

klyong82
4th September 2007, 21:42
Seen a CBR 250 without front and side fairings. Back fairings all painted black did look like a smaller version of the Triumph Speed Triple with the two bare round headlights exposed.

bomma
4th September 2007, 21:47

agreed. i direct you to dan walker and eric's brand spankin new vtr250s. beautiful specimens of the Nakedus Motorcyclia species.

ehab2weelr
4th September 2007, 22:59
y is every one against me :(
what did i do???? :Pokey:
at least one person back me up..:crybaby:
hahahahah
all good u can all go get ur nakeds and leave me all the good bikes :niceone: :bleh:

motorbyclist
4th September 2007, 23:22
don't worry, i also like sports bikes best, none of this upright sitting position for me!

but in all seriousness, my experience of fairings vs no fairings is the fairing bike have better stances for cornering, accellerating and braking, plus the multitude of advantageous of fairings, PLUS i think they look better. there are some good looking naked bikes but not a very big number of them whereas 99% of fairing bikes to me are the best looking things on the road.

2wheeljunkie
5th September 2007, 10:07
why are u backing ehab up andrew..keep giving him shit..!:2guns:

Chrislost
5th September 2007, 11:03
i like nekked sports bikes with motox bars...
i also like faired race bikes...
exept theres nowhere to ride them!

motorbyclist
5th September 2007, 17:50
there's heaps of places to ride them, just it pays to either get really fast or pick spots away from cops...

motorbyclist
6th September 2007, 00:06
hey guys, when are the exams over?

maybe we should give this weekend a miss unless there's alot of keen riders (speak up now)

it currently looks like i'm the only guy interested, so i may aswell ride my dirtbike.....

oh and chris, i expect to actually finish early tomorrow as i've just got to go in to tidy up a few things and test the new blower system (long story), so expect a txt if weather is fine, but not if another urgent job comes in...

TRAINING WHEELS
6th September 2007, 00:13
hey guys, when are the exams over?

maybe we should give this weekend a miss unless there's alot of keen riders (speak up now)

it currently looks like i'm the only guy interested, so i may aswell ride my dirtbike.....

oh and chris, i expect to actually finish early tomorrow as i've just got to go in to tidy up a few things and test the new blower system (long story), so expect a txt if weather is fine, but not if another urgent job comes in...

You could always join the whanga trip on sunday ...it is for a good cause and there are bikes of all shapes and sizes heading up..... 150's to 1300's so im sure you will fit in some where ....
There will be sports bikes, and cruizers going

motorbyclist
6th September 2007, 00:32
forecast looks bad, and if i spend saturday on my dirtbike i'll be in no shape to ride on sunday... hell if i do my usual 6 hours i'll be finding it hard enough to walk!

is that the trip to fundraise for some guy?

TRAINING WHEELS
6th September 2007, 09:29
is that the trip to fundraise for some guy?

Yea its for "mac the knife" a great mentor to all :hug:..... and from what i have heard there is another bike club joining in on the ride.:chase:

If you want to go into the draw for a Taupo track day then just bring a enverlope with what ever you can spare if not then just enjoy the ride:wari:

Scouse
6th September 2007, 09:53
my dad is looking at riding down to new plymouth for business reasons: plan is to ride down there on friday morning, have a look around, stay in a hotel or something and return saturday...

it's (alledgedly) a 6 hour trip each way, but i'm sure the fast group could cut that down to 4:msn-wink:

is anyone interested? i don't think riding there and back in one day is a good idea, but for those who can't do a 2-dayer maybe just turn back around taupo or half way somewhere, and/or meet us on our way back on saturday.

we'll need to be organised by wednesday.

seems like a good way to end the holidays:Punk:Farrk man you dont need to go anywhere near Taupo to get to and from New Plymouth that is the long way turn off SH1 at Harvey Norman at Te Rapa and follow the road through to Pirongia then Te kuiti that will cut about 2 Hours of your journey nicer more interesting roads as well.

motorbyclist
6th September 2007, 15:02
yea i realise that, but not having a route planned taupo was the best place i could think of

motorbyclist
7th September 2007, 11:31
i'll be at woodhill for all those dirtriders out there, look for the white ex-courier toyota hiace with yamaha yzfs in/around it

and 645000ks on the odo:clap:

twinkle
7th September 2007, 16:29
No riding for me this weekend, i'll be working both days :zzzz:
Have a good time whatever you guys end up doing :rofl:

2wheeljunkie
9th September 2007, 19:07
anyone go on the ride today??..gezz the weather looked bullshit...:crybaby:..hope heaps of ppl went for the mack the knife appeal..good on bikers for having such a tight community ehh..brilliant stuff..:niceone:

ehab2weelr
9th September 2007, 21:06
anyone go on the ride today??..gezz the weather looked bullshit...:crybaby:..:

i was gana go, but i remembered i have i test in 2 days. hahahah:lol:

TRAINING WHEELS
10th September 2007, 01:05
anyone go on the ride today??..gezz the weather looked bullshit...:crybaby:..hope heaps of ppl went for the mack the knife appeal..good on bikers for having such a tight community ehh..brilliant stuff..:niceone:

Yea made it as far as welsford then a bin :shit: at the start of 16 so was a slow ride down 1 in 3rd gear (bike lost gear leaver). Rider ok and rode home:woohoo:.... Will be reposted for a finer day. We were drenched head to toe at welsford and others turning blue :cold: so will be up again.
Keep your eyes out