PDA

View Full Version : DIY sheepskin seat cover

Kendog
5th October 2004, 18:00
I am wondering if anybody has done their own seat cover.
I called into a sheepskin warehouse and the guy there said he sold a skin (about $70) to a motorcyclist who did his own attaching to his seat.

So, are there any hints and tips out there?

Cheers

Jackrat
5th October 2004, 18:27
I am wondering if anybody has done their own seat cover.
I called into a sheepskin warehouse and the guy there said he sold a skin (about $70) to a motorcyclist who did his own attaching to his seat.

So, are there any hints and tips out there?

Cheers

I got a cover from a car.
Cut it to shape,poked four holes in it an tied it on.
$70 for sheep skin??,(Tell im' es dreamin')

Blackbird
5th October 2004, 18:27
I've made my own in the past by glueing velcro on the underside of a sheepskin and to the underside of the seat which worked fine and looked fairly neat with all the edges tucked up. On the Blackbird, I had a fitted one custom made by the shop shown below which is just north of Tokoroa. It was made with a high density fleece, has elastic edging and two elastic cross-straps. Cost just over $100 for the dual seat and is superbly made, It's black, but if you want me to try and take a digital photo of the construction, I'm happy to give it a go.

The owner of the shop is the ex-service manager for a bike shop in Hamilton and is very pro-biker. I think they run a mail order service too.

Lichfield Pottery & Sheepskins
St Highway 1 Main Rd Lichfield Putaruru
0-7-883 6898

I did the 1000 miler last year with it and whilst plenty of other things hurt, my bum wasn't one of them. :killingme . A dense sheepskin is great :niceone:

Geoff

scumdog
5th October 2004, 18:30
I got a cover from a car.
Cut it to shape,poked four holes in it an tied it on.
$70 for sheep skin??,(Tell im' es dreamin')

Enjoyed "The Castle" too JR?

And yeah, for $70 I would expect to get the rest of the sheep too!!! :crazy:

Kendog
5th October 2004, 19:12
And yeah, for $70 I would expect to get the rest of the sheep too!!! :crazy:

Thought I would check this out, not sure where you get your sheep skins from, do you have a sheep out the back :p
Here is a NZ site with some typical prices http://www.sheepskinz.co.nz/customer/home.php?cat=15

This is mainly for the boss on the back on long trips so it needs to be cumffy :)

The Pastor
5th October 2004, 21:13
He probally bought a cheap entire rug for $70 maybe a shop soiled one etc etc

thehollowmen
5th October 2004, 22:11
you can often get lambskin pieces for a few dollars... I get them from glendermids down here (glens leather as they are sometime's known)

get a decent glovemaker's needle (the ones with the blades at the end) and sew them together with some nice linen thread if you can find it, takes a bit of work but it is a good evening in frount of a TV...

well.. I haven't done a seat cover but I've made a few other things for people

Slim
5th October 2004, 22:43
I stopped at the sheepskin place in Huntly, just north of the Shell/McD's lights and picked up a 2nd's fleece for $40. Chopped it in half, sewed a couple of bits of elastic to it, which slide nicely over the front of my seat without having to take it off (which is good, because I don't have a key-release seat, bloody Honda :mad: ). It's just big enough for the front seat, which is fine, since I hardly ever take a pillion.

And I've still got half a fleece to use when the 1st half finally falls to pieces like the last one does.

Hint: don't leave a wet fleece on the seat when you get home - the hide will rot. <_<

scumdog
6th October 2004, 07:06
Use a sheep-skin most of the time when touring, don't need any 'attachment' when you're riding but it's handy when you're parked up, - stops the wind from blowing it of your scoot into the car-park puddle. :eek:

Kendog
7th October 2004, 16:26
I stopped at the sheepskin place in Huntly, just north of the Shell/McD's lights and picked up a 2nd's fleece for $40. Chopped it in half, sewed a couple of bits of elastic to it, which slide nicely over the front of my seat without having to take it off (which is good, because I don't have a key-release seat, bloody Honda :mad: ). It's just big enough for the front seat, which is fine, since I hardly ever take a pillion.

And I've still got half a fleece to use when the 1st half finally falls to pieces like the last one does.

Hint: don't leave a wet fleece on the seat when you get home - the hide will rot. <_<

That sounds like a good idea. I have the same seat so the same problem. Might give this a go.
Did you find it moved around much?

Kendog
7th October 2004, 16:27
Use a sheep-skin most of the time when touring, don't need any 'attachment' when you're riding but it's handy when you're parked up, - stops the wind from blowing it of your scoot into the car-park puddle. :eek:

How does it not move around if it is not somehow attached?

F5 Dave
7th October 2004, 16:37
I used to use one (it was a pretty orange colour & not sure where I found it), I just threw it over & put a bungee over the middle & it didn’t slide around, but the drag of having to take it off if it rained & find somewhere to stash it else when it does stop raining you are sitting in a wet yucky thing, so I never use it.

I just decided to harden up.

Grrr.

scumdog
7th October 2004, 17:47
How does it not move around if it is not somehow attached?
Maybe Harleys have a sheepskin friendly seat? I dunno why, but the sheepskin just sits there, I know a few others who use a sheepskin and none of them have to 'anchor' it. :spudwhat:

Maybe you need a doris like Mrs S.D. with "muscularrr sturrdy thiighs" (Fraser, in "Dads Army') to hold the sheepskin in place?

They are also handy in the tent, apart from the sleeping comfort you could also bungy it onto your mrs. back and pretend she's a sheep..... :innocent: :msn-wink:

speedpro
7th October 2004, 19:42
I attached mine to the metal base of the Z1 seat with 4 domes. With it domed on you could still be a loony and climb off when hooning round corners without losing it. Velcro would be good too though.

The Pastor
7th October 2004, 20:30
I dont know how good this idea is but it worked for my carpet in my boot sliding round with my all mighty subwoofer on top of it

I found some of this plastic mat thing (like what some people have in ur showers) that was sticky. I think its used in kictions to hold the bowls to the bench when you are stiring them or something. When I picked it up it was a sorta "sticky" kinda texture

It worked well for my carpet in my boot :D

Holy Roller
8th October 2004, 13:28
My sheep skins are of the home cured variety a project for the kids when I was on the farm.
I found that only in the heavest of rain did the skin get a bit wet where the water pooled after running down the jacket. Something to hold it in place would be good to stop it from dragging off with you when one needs to get of the bike.
SD is right its the best sleeping mat for the tent warm as toast and comfortable. :love:

vifferman
8th October 2004, 13:40
... you could also bungy it onto your mrs. back and pretend she's a sheepIs that how Mrs SD developed those "muscularrr sturrdy thiighs" ?

scumdog
8th October 2004, 14:07
Is that how Mrs SD developed those "muscularrr sturrdy thiighs" ?

Och!! yooouve been watching havnae ye? She's a grand lassie is Mr. SD and wears a sheepskin like naebody else!!!

Kendog
11th October 2004, 11:21
I have borrowed a mates sheepskin to try out. Put it on the bike with no attachements and it does appear to be pretty secure, not sliding around.

The real test will come when I go for a ride with it on, just waiting for a sunny day.

Hitcher
11th October 2004, 11:38
Bought myself a sheepskin for the Zrex on Saturday in readiness for this weekend's Grand Challenge. Should be good for a few hundred more km in the saddle!