PDA

View Full Version : i swear this is not my year for motorcycling

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 09:38
you wudnt believe it. After having my 4 day old fzr250 crashed into and written off:crybaby:, i finally after two weeks of scooter riding(thanks to aewilliams for the patience and more patience of not having his scooter to go to work), got another fzr250r. But fate smacked me right in the arse again :2guns: and yesterday something went horribly wrong on the waipuna bridge. I think my cam chains or something in that region gave way and the bike came to a halt on the freakin bridge..but luckily once again blackbuell was there to the rescue.however, after abt 5 metres of towin the bike, and trust me if you havent towed one b4(you shudnt laught at me cause its no easy task:lol:), a joint effort of ehab and me managed to bring the bike to the ground and i scrape my side fairing and broke my front fairings where the mirrors sit.:Oops:..soo blackbluell decided that it was a more safer option if he did it and so with ehab towing him (and fuck, ehab did a brilliant job of it too),blackbuell towed it all the way back to my house.(how do you posses the strength to do that i still am gob smacked:gob:) but yea soo i think this isnt my year for motorcycling but thats not goin to stop me..:yes:(the motorcycling gods aint gonna bring me down that easily.)..soo hope the bike isnt too badly damaged(mechanically) and im hoping for better times up ahead. special thanks for blackbuell for all the effort and time,ehab2weeler for being there and lending a hand, and aewilliam for his scooter and now borrowing me his rs250 for the day.Also thannks to their time and patience.cudnt have made it so far without u guys.:clap:

Chickadee
11th September 2007, 09:45
Woah, bad Karma mate!

Seek a blessing from the gods of two wheels! And then get back out there and whip some butt.

ehab2weelr
11th September 2007, 09:50
no porob brah :niceone:, it was the first time for me to ever towe a bike off the waipuna bridge :crazy:, but after a hard jolt that brought the fzr to the ground :Oops:, i learned how to towe , and dont no if it was my skills :whistle: or just blackbluell super powers :clap: got the bike back to kyles house.

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 09:50
i know..i must have real fucked up someones life to deserve this..ahh i'll try to be nicer to ppl next time..:bleh:..

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 09:52
definately a combined effort ehab but blackbuell is superstrong..wudnt want to get on his bad side..im pretty sure i already am since twice ive gotten him involved now..:whistle:

twinkle
you have the worst luck dude :(
hope there isn't any bad damage to the engine.

avgas
When did you last talk to her?
No wonder she politely said "fuck you asshole" on the bridge

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 09:57
ive been soo kind to her..never insulted her..alwayz praised her..even afte she gave way..im pretty sure i juz have the worst luck like twinkle said..:pinch:

ehab2weelr
11th September 2007, 09:57
When did you last talk to her?
No wonder she politely said "fuck you asshole" on the bridge

very politely indeed..:laugh:

Macstar
11th September 2007, 10:26
got another fzr250r
Did you buy it private or from a dealer? i.e. are the mechnical probs covered? As for towing a bike, I very briefly considered the idea but for reasons you have just described decided to rent a trailer from the local BP and cart my bike home that way.

Anyway, not trying to rub salt in the wound - sorry to hear of your latest misfortunes. I don't know any cheap fairing repairers but if you're not covered mechanically and don't have a trusted mechanic to do the work, you could try the mechanic I listed in another thread.

RC1
11th September 2007, 10:27
at least your not hurt dude thats the main thing imho

bomma
11th September 2007, 10:28
gutted bro!!!! reckon the gods r tellin you to stick with a 150 for a tad longer?? fingers crossed that she's alright n a bit of "cosmetic touch-up" is all she needs....

hmmm spend more time in the garage with your bike man.....how would you feel if your mates only used you for rides and never actually spent any quality time with you?!?!

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 10:32
yea dunt tow man..unless you know what yer doin..and bomma man..i juz got her..ive got tests and stuff to attend too..i was good to her too..misfortune has really struck my way..:crybaby:

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 10:33
damage to fairing is minimal really..a little plastic welding and yea..juz really dunt have the money rite now..life kinda sucks at the mo as well..and yea it was a private sale soo no mechanical warranty..guts..

klyong82
11th September 2007, 10:40
Damn sorry to hear bout the FZR. I keep an eye out for FZR parts. Are you sure it is the cam-chain that has split? How many km's has it done? Hope not the cam-chain as there could be other damages to the engine. If you bought it off a dealer get it repaired.
shucks....

2wheeljunkie
11th September 2007, 10:47
i think it is it..nahh private ehh..thanks though kim..worst come to worst i'll claim on insurance if the damage comes up to more than 600 bucks...my excess is that..soo more worth it to do it that way..bt we'll see how it goes..it shud be goin in to henderson motorcycles today..hope for the best and pray for the worst..:bye:

klyong82
11th September 2007, 11:16
Trade it in for a CBR250RR bulletproof engines and if you have problems with it you can come and see me. Haha there goes my sales pitch again

ehab2weelr
11th September 2007, 14:02
Trade it in for a CBR250RR bulletproof engines and if you have problems with it you can come and see me. Haha there goes my sales pitch again

u could find a good job in sales kim...hahah:laugh:

klyong82
11th September 2007, 14:20
u could find a good job in sales kim...hahah:laugh:

You never know you might see me in any of the showrooms in Auckland selling you a Honda :yes:but for now I think I will stick to IT projects.

Kyle you better hope the payment from the insurance on your written off bike is greater than the one you just purchased. That would give you some money to do the repairs.

breakaway
11th September 2007, 18:26
you have the worst luck dude :(
hope there isn't any bad damage to the engine.

If his cam chain snapped, the cams would stop moving, i.e. valves would come to a stop, and if one of them happened to be open, the piston would plough right into it and then you're really fucked. Damaged piston / cam / valve / bore :(

Be optimstic.

Squiggles
11th September 2007, 19:04
bad luck mate, hope you didnt pay too much for her... give me a buzz if you want to open it up and see whats happened, have got a fair few tools and bits from working on my bikes' engines and keen to help :)

Squiggles
11th September 2007, 19:07
If his cam chain snapped, the cams would stop moving, i.e. valves would come to a stop, and if one of them happened to be open, the piston would plough right into it and then you're really fucked. Damaged piston / cam / valve / bore :(

Be optimstic.

alternatively, no damage may have been done, snapped the camchain on my old man's cx and although the valves are pushrod driven (chain drives the pushrods) a similar predicament was made but turned out nothing got munted

edit: good chance you might be able to buy your old bike back for the motor etc :)

Squiggles
11th September 2007, 19:37
have possibly found someone who has 1 motor that could do with a "freshen up" and 1 that threw a rod but had new clutch etc... they wanted 300 for the two of em 2 weeks back, that'd account for a head and few other bits if any damage was done

they had em 2 weeks ago so prolly still do :)

klyong82
11th September 2007, 20:18
... give me a buzz if you want to open it up and see whats happened, have got a fair few tools and bits from working on my bikes' engines and keen to help :)

If you get to this stage give me a buzz so I can come to learn more of Yamahahahahahaaa engines and perhaps help you guys out.

motorbyclist
11th September 2007, 23:05
man i told you if you buy private to txt me or someone else who knows what they're looking at! the rattle that thing would have been making would have set anyones alarm bells ringing! argh horrible luck

if it's the cam chain there is a good chance you've fucked the engine, so don't bother with the cosmetics till the engine it sorted.

and as for towing; i've been riding on/offroad for 6 years now and i'll still get a trailer rather than tow. it's pretty dodgy as i'm sure you now know, and requires both riders to have some skill.

ehab2weelr
12th September 2007, 10:10
i went with him to check out the bike and blackblule also, it sounded sweet, didnt hear any thing wrong with it, and i would know if any thing sounds out of place.
although we found out after buying the bike that the fllywheel cover had a crack don the bottom, nothing major, but then i noteced leaking of oil from the top couldnt find where it was leaking from, tolled him to go back to the seller and ask, but we never made it home.

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 12:09
thanks once again for the support boys..cheers to kim,squiggles and all..bt andrw ther was absolutely no signs of a lemon engine when i test rode her..she was riding real smooth..ahh the mechanic is havn a look at it and we'll go from there..i know im new to this soo i dunt really know where i stand bt parentals are keen on me getting a brand new bike which means the only option is a vtr and its 8 fckn grand..arghhh...:(..but i juz wanted to know something..if say hypothetically i were to rebuild the entire engine(combustion bits and gear box and i wud wanna do it professionally so labour as well :buggerd:)..what wud i be lookin at in terms of expenditure..wud it be better to save that money and buy a vtr??anyone's thghts wud be great..and ehab i know what yer goin to say..:cool:..:lol:

klyong82
12th September 2007, 12:25
Not a cheap option to build the whole engine. You can rebuild the top end within $1k but the bottom end build eg. transmission etc is just not economical. I am sure there are many FZR250 engines out there that you can buy and chuck it into your engine. But if I had a rare bike and parts are just so difficult to obtain then rebuilding might be the only option. Prepare to pay $1k to $5k for it most of it labour cost..

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 12:31
i mean if its gonna cost me 1k to rebuild top end i might consider it an option..i mean i pln to keep my 250 for ages even after i get a bigger bike cause i'll use my 250 everywhere..and if i get another engine i dunt really know what cond that one will be in..it will be a peace of mind knwing everythings new.i dunt want to fix something and then a month later another fckin thing goes wrong..but bottom end rebuild does sund like it wud be an expensive job..im guessing without proper mechanical help it would be a no brainer not to even touch the bottom end yerself ehh...maybe if squiggles offered his mechanical skills and combine it with yers kim...possibilty to build the bottom end ourselves..??..:sunny:.

breakaway
12th September 2007, 13:26
Just open it up and see what's up. If it's just the top end, buy yourself a Haynes manual, and get some KBers to help you out :D

You gotta learn sometime for when you blow up your next one eh? :p

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 13:28
soo keen to do that ehh..but cant find a freakin manual..found one but the whole things in japanese..soo im guessn u dunt mind lending me a hand then...:shifty:

breakaway
12th September 2007, 13:42
Yeah, I'll give you a hand, but my knowledge does not go beyond removing bolts :third:

Seriously, If you are going to rebuild it gimme a PM. Do it for the experience.

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 13:51
ohh sweet as..i got 2 guys on my team now..yeaa i wanna do that ehh..juz scared i might fuck things up and make it a lot worse..will pm u if things go that way..cheers dude..!:clap:

klyong82
12th September 2007, 13:51
Yeah get it checked out first and we will see from there. Guess you are back on the scooter again eh?

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 14:13
ahh nahh din want to hassle my sis's bf anymore soo im on the bus..:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

bomma
12th September 2007, 14:19
ahh nahh din want to hassle my sis's bf anymore soo im on the bus..:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

i feel for u mate....mayb u shud be ehab's bitch for a while n ride pillion....beats taking the bus

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 14:30
cheers for the idea breh but after thinkin abt it last nite i figured that if bad luck wantd to strike again, it could and i cud get a 400 dollar fine for nth..soo im gonna play it safe til bad luck finds someother poor soul to play its nasty tricks on..:(

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 14:31
and yea great job on the bog work for the cbr400 breakway..nice..!..may need yer help in that department too..hehe..

Squiggles
12th September 2007, 15:41
my gn's runnin like crap and the other one needs a fix up, am planning on doing it this sat (will go as far as removing the head on the one that has an oil leak i think and tear both of em's carbs apart again).... maintenence day anyone?

as for manual's, borrow a workshop one from a mechanic... it'll give you all the specifics you need and i think haynes made a 400/600 version that you could get all the "tips" out of...

should i give this guy a txt and see if he's got these engines still? i got priced $450 for a top end fixer upper when i dropped a valve on my gn... and thats a single

on another note, in aus a wrecker has a motor with >20,000k's for $800AU

breakaway
12th September 2007, 15:46
I've just emailed a fellow who might have that manual for you.

"might fuck things up and make it a lot worse"

Nah, it's just taking the thing apart to see what's up eh. If your cam chain snapped, odds are you're going to need a new engine :(

Squiggles
12th September 2007, 15:51
its not running, cant get much worse... :bye:

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups....

+ theres always HDTBoy's (he's a mech) help for a small donation to his race fun d if you get really stuck (search out the thread, it was in the General Maintenence section a short while ago)

breakaway
12th September 2007, 15:59
its not running, cant get much worse...

^ True. I remember when me and westie took my clutch apart, just undo a few bolts, and rip the sucker out. I couldn't beleive how easy it was.

It's either DIY, or spend twice the value of the bike on labour :p That's what motivated me to DIY it.

2wheeljunkie
12th September 2007, 16:24
im real keen to help u out this sat squiggles..if work doesnt come up then im def in with a grin..nt juz yet bud on the motor(however thanks for yer time on checkin this shit out for me..:niceone:..bloody nice of ya)....ill let the mech check it out and c if its actually the cam chain cause he said it cud be the crankshaft.speakin of bloody nice cheers breakaway for the help on finding a manual....much apperciated eh boys..!

klyong82
12th September 2007, 17:25
its not running, cant get much worse... :bye:

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups....

+ theres always HDTBoy's (he's a mech) help for a small donation to his race fun d if you get really stuck (search out the thread, it was in the General Maintenence section a short while ago)

Busy this Saturday bro but I will txt u if I can make it. I finish work about 3pm. so not sure will you be finish by then....oh and will Hanne be making cookies? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh coooookiessssss :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Better not let Ehab see this thread.....we all know how much he wans cookieeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

motorbyclist
12th September 2007, 17:52
i've got all the knowhow and experience to show you how to fix it, but obviously the manual helps - even if you can find pictures/diagrams on the net with tolerances etc (nothing worse than spring loaded bits flying past your face never to be found nor identified again)

if it's the crank get a new engine cus u dunno what else is fucked, if it's the cam chain and a valve hit a piston you'll need atleast a new piston and cylinder block (or bore it out to 260cc:devil2:), if it's the gearbox, get a pro to fix it or it'll explode because you put a washer in the wrong way round and if nothing hit anything it's pretty straight forward - the hardest bit will be getting the new chain in.

personally i'd get a honda engine and drop that in - i don't see many fzr nor gsxr 250s around and from my gsxr experience it's cause they don't last

and yes, a rebuild/repair will be chearper than the new vtr - but the vtr will last you forever while the fzr may only last 10,000k before the next failure; some bikes just don't last

klyong82
12th September 2007, 18:06
personally i'd get a honda engine and drop that in - i don't see many fzr nor gsxr 250s around and from my gsxr experience it's cause they don't last

and yes, a rebuild/repair will be chearper than the new vtr - but the vtr will last you forever while the fzr may only last 10,000k before the next failure; some bikes just don't last

Some hard advice but its true Kyle heard some bad thing about the FZR engine most on the 400cc's. But yeah a new VTR250 will even have 2 years manufacturers warranty.

Hmmm a CBR MC14 engine in a FZR? You thinking what I'm thinking a project !! Yeah I think the ZXR engine might be a little too wide but the CBR engine gonna need a lot of new mounts.

Hi Kyle are you able to buy your old FZR from the insurance company? offer them 300 bucks and see what they say. Might be able to turn that into a streetfighter....

motorbyclist
12th September 2007, 18:14
lol just grab the old fzr engine.

nah i reckon the cbr engine should fit nicely with a bit of welding/modification of mounts - probably be easier than the rebuild lol

bomma
12th September 2007, 21:57
lol just grab the old fzr engine.

nah i reckon the cbr engine should fit nicely with a bit of welding/modification of mounts - probably be easier than the rebuild lol

hey guys gimme a buzz after you decide on what to do...im keen just to come along n have a gander at the insides of an engine or what it takes to replace an engine!!! good experience i reckon :2thumbsup

thanks kyle :rolleyes:

motorbyclist
13th September 2007, 00:28
hey guys gimme a buzz after you decide on what to do...im keen just to come along n have a gander at the insides of an engine or what it takes to replace an engine!!! good experience i reckon :2thumbsup

now i dont have any of my yzf or vfr (nor my old gsxr), but here's some from an xr200 - my very first rebuild way back in the summer of 2005:cool:

i didn't take pictures of the valves, just the reassembly of the engine/bike. i had re-seated the valves, cleaned everything up (port &polish), and given it new rings.

i cleaned up the carby, got the timing and fuel right and made a proper air filter

i later built it a new muffler and tuned that through an ingenious design feature and then dismantled the front forks and replaced the oil seals

all in all it was a foundation to all the work i've since done on all my other bikes - well worth learning and has saved me thousands

stupid kb won't let me put up all 29 in the series...

justsomeguy
13th September 2007, 00:36
Hope things go better from now on. Lucky you had Blackbuell around. That guy is a legend.

Apart from once being a factory dirt bike racer he also mentored this fella called Ray Clee as an apprentice.

breakaway
13th September 2007, 01:29
Just rebuild the sucker, you have motorbylist and squiggles' mechanical knowhow, and my moral support! You can't go wrong!

bomma
13th September 2007, 13:47
hes buying a VTR250!!!!!!!! :cool::apint::pinch::2thumbsup :niceone:

Squiggles
13th September 2007, 16:39
hes buying a VTR250!!!!!!!! :cool::apint::pinch::2thumbsup :niceone:

yeah right.

motorbyclist
13th September 2007, 17:36
lol he could get another fxr:laugh:

Macstar
13th September 2007, 17:43
Nah, f that and buy this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117166305

I rode one around for a while, they go pretty hard!!

Macstar
13th September 2007, 17:46
Or this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117807623

I owned an '89, and it also went hard - but blew... (luckily the engine went after I sold it).

motorbyclist
13th September 2007, 17:56
for kyle i wouldn't recommmend the 2-stroke just yet...

cbrr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117999157&key=454194) - ol' faithful and with an appropriate number or Rs
fzr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117785974&key=454194) - maybe he just isn't meant to ride one, but 3rd time's a charm!
zxr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117726382&key=454194) - will go fast (lol pun, trademe AND riding)

god dammit i forgot to check if they were in auckland

bomma
13th September 2007, 22:02
Or this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117807623

I owned an '89, and it also went hard - but blew... (luckily the engine went after I sold it).

Nah, f that and buy this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117166305

I rode one around for a while, they go pretty hard!!

for kyle i wouldn't recommmend the 2-stroke just yet...

cbrr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117999157&key=454194) - ol' faithful and with an appropriate number or Rs
fzr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117785974&key=454194) - maybe he just isn't meant to ride one, but 3rd time's a charm!
zxr (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=117726382&key=454194) - will go fast (lol pun, trademe AND riding)

god dammit i forgot to check if they were in auckland

screw all you guys hes getting a far superior bike...A VTR 250 :clap: :drool:

dont make me repeat myself :2guns: :ar15:

twinkle
13th September 2007, 22:38

I have a cb250rs engine apart on my workbench if anyone wants to have a look.
Its waiting for a new piston, and new cylinder lining, and new magneto, and new gear change forks, and several new cogs...... and and and :eek5:

motorbyclist
13th September 2007, 23:47
sounds more like a lump of assorted metal than an engine:bleh:

twinkle
14th September 2007, 07:31
haha yeah thats about how its going to stay too most likely, unless the new owner finds a donor engine for me.

Squiggles
14th September 2007, 18:22
Tada:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-118112643.htm?p=2

klyong82
14th September 2007, 18:36
Two for the price of one. Good price too.

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 18:43
agreed, but you'll probably have to pull both to bits to get the good bits out to make one reliably working engine, which will then need to be run in properly

well, SHOULD be run in, but i doubt it would:laugh:

ehab2weelr
14th September 2007, 23:06
yea it seems that kyle realy or more like he has no choice but to buy a new bike... and VTR seems to be the beast brand new bike out now :niceone:.... he well never buy a gt250r.... and if he dose il kill him....:eek::Pokey:

motorbyclist
14th September 2007, 23:26
nothing wrong with an inline 4! (or v4)

but if he does buy a brand new shiny bike a vtr would be the best bet right now

2wheeljunkie
16th September 2007, 15:23
hey boys..hope the ride today is sweet..im soo jealous right now..ahhh..but first up sorri to squiggles for not makin it yesterday..work called in..bastards..hope the gn is in running order..:first:...yeaa goin wit the plan for the shiny vtr..juz hopin to b soon as i dunt know how long i can handle the bus..:innocent:...newayzz will wait for you boys to come back and post up yer day on the ride to piha...:rockon:

motorbyclist
16th September 2007, 17:14
you should've got a demo bike for the day!

klyong82
16th September 2007, 17:20
Yeah be like me...I got a demo bike for weeks.