PDA

View Full Version : Laws on Pocket Bikes?

boeing747
16th September 2007, 14:13
Hi, I am looking at buying a pocket bike, but I am wanting to know what laws are in place. Am I allowed to ride it on the road, and if so, what will I need etc??

Thanks, :)

breakaway
16th September 2007, 16:49
Nope you cannot ride it on the road.

You might be able to register it etc... but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to ride it on the road.

Gadgit
16th September 2007, 17:48
It can be regoed as a moped but then any one can rego anything as a moped the problem riases it's head if and when you get pulled over by a cop.... no lights no horn engine that produces more then 2kw of power... the cop will offer you a heafty fine for rego-ing a vehicle that dosnt meet the class requierments. Take it to the track and race it where do ya live I maybe able to hook you up with a contact for racing in your area.

boeing747
16th September 2007, 18:02
So would I be able to get away with riding on the foorpath if I needed to go to the dairy??

Gadgit
16th September 2007, 18:08
Nope any vehicle with a motor can not be opprated on the foot path... on that note your not even ment to have a push bike on the foot path. .. Fair Go did a story on this subject a little while back.. firts cop told the guy not to ride the pocket bike on the path and the second cop gave the guy a ticket for riding a unregoed vehicle on the road... went something like that.... Take it to the track mate that's what they are made for

boeing747
16th September 2007, 18:09
I live in the Hawkes Bay area, but in Havelock North (Hastings) . I was thinking more jst for fun, and maybe something to drive down to the dairy in, but I suppose it could be fun fun getting into racing!

sunhuntin
16th September 2007, 19:17
Nope any vehicle with a motor can not be opprated on the foot path... on that note your not even ment to have a push bike on the foot path. .. Fair Go did a story on this subject a little while back.. firts cop told the guy not to ride the pocket bike on the path and the second cop gave the guy a ticket for riding a unregoed vehicle on the road... went something like that.... Take it to the track mate that's what they are made for

i think only posties and newspaper/flyer deliverers can get away with this [riding pushie/scooter on footpath]

Gadgit
16th September 2007, 19:17
Hay your in luck.. The national pocket bike club just had a full weekends racing at the Fern Hill kart track two weeks ago and there is now monthly race meets there.. I'll serch up the contact for you or keep an eye out here www.nzmmrc.co.nz for race dates.

Gadgit
16th September 2007, 19:21
i think only posties and newspaper/flyer deliverers can get away with this [riding pushie/scooter on footpath]

Good point there sunhuntin... maybe 747 could invest in a posty uniform for when he want's to shoot down to the dairy lol

boeing747
16th September 2007, 21:24
Is there anywhere I can practise first before I go out and do races, or do I just find an abandoned street? Thanks for all your help, I might start getting into Pocket bike racing!!!! :P

breakaway
17th September 2007, 03:30
Find a empty carpark

boeing747
17th September 2007, 06:28
I just have to go out and buy a bike now, I have seen some pretty good deals on TradeMe, there is one for $199, so might be the deal I have been looking for!! I will get some practise in then go out and do some racing! Thanks :)

JimO
17th September 2007, 06:46
I just have to go out and buy a bike now, I have seen some pretty good deals on TradeMe, there is one for $199, so might be the deal I have been looking for!! I will get some practise in then go out and do some racing! Thanks :)

$199...that will be top quality

granma2
17th September 2007, 14:55
$199...that will be top quality

Dont knock a $199 pocketbike for a first time rider.

Please take Gadgits advice and only ride it on the track.
It is way more fun!

First + best advice we had, was to find a quiet carpark, run the bike in by doing circles for a couple of hours. Then progress to figure eights and a bit faster. Then get down to the track.
Try not too crash at the first meet.

Gadgits pretty good at crashing, aye Gadgit! :bleh:

boeing747
17th September 2007, 17:15
We have a carpack I can practise on down the road, now I jst have to go and buy a bike!!! I think a $199 bike will be good for the meantime until I gather up a few more $$$$ to buy a quality one! Thanks, :)

breakaway
17th September 2007, 17:23
Also, have a read of this - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=47214

boeing747
17th September 2007, 17:34
Did you ever end up buying one? If so, any problems, I think I am looking at the same one as you, the seller NZClutch! :)

breakaway
17th September 2007, 17:37
Nope, damn parents :p

boeing747
17th September 2007, 17:42
They will only let me get one if I race it! Dads in China, so I have to wait till he gets back before I by one!!! I really want to get one though, would be great fun!

boeing747
17th September 2007, 18:01
I will let you know what quality they are and how long it takes for me to break it, lol :P

granma2
17th September 2007, 18:34
When you get your bike, pull it apart and put it back together again.
Check all the nuts and bolts , chain etc.
Follow the instructions you get with the bike,

boeing747
17th September 2007, 18:43
I will keep that in mind when I get it!!! Do they not tighten the nuts properly? Anything else I should watch out for with the cheaper bikes? Thanks, :)

inlinefour
17th September 2007, 18:57
Hi, I am looking at buying a pocket bike, but I am wanting to know what laws are in place. Am I allowed to ride it on the road, and if so, what will I need etc??

Thanks, :)

You want to buy a pocket bike, maybe spending a couple of hundred on one? I am not going to say not to get one, but I will point out another alternative. If you search the parts - other on trademe, you will often find very cheap old motorcycles. Now they are not pretty, road worthy but they are the sort of bike that would be handy to learn on, including a clutch. They do not mind too much if they are dropped, where as a pocket bike would be more likely to fall apart. Also an old dunga could be a good start on learning about motorcycle maintiance. However if your like many, who are just interested in image, go for it. Just remember, you get what you pay for. For $199, it would not be much. Just a though, as its the way I started out.

boeing747
17th September 2007, 19:04
I see, well, I did want to ride a motorbike, but parents think I should focus on my drivers lisence first, and they think bikes on the road are too dangerous! I cant really be bothered going for my drivers lisence at the moment, but I like the thought of ridng a motorbike!!! For the moment though, pocket bike racing seems to be something I would like to try out, but once I have my drivers lisence, I might looking at getting a motorbike lience! Thanks for the information and the advice :)

breakaway
17th September 2007, 20:33
Just buy one and roll up. That's what I did, my parents were all anti-bikes as well, and I have never looked back since.

Gadgit
17th September 2007, 20:54
Hay 747
All the air cooled pocket bikes on TM are around the same quality so a $199 one will be the same as a $300 one just the seller has a bit more markup on it..... if you get realy keen you can get an utra reliable euro pocket bike like mine... it's a polini 910 GP3 and has a 50cc engine producing 15.5hp and will do 0-100kms in 4sec on the rear wheel...... but wait for it I payed $3000 second hand new it's worth $5500.. Stick to the cheep china made bikes to start with there easy to work on cheep parts and fun racing..

Gadgit
17th September 2007, 20:56
Gadgits pretty good at crashing, aye Gadgit! :bleh:

Haha yip to true there granma.... last crash earned me a new helmet lol

boeing747
17th September 2007, 21:41
Lol, I think I will just stick with the $199 ones at the moment! Just get some practice in etc. Thanks for all your advice, and try not to crash to much :P

newmanz
30th September 2007, 15:05
No way a pocketbike can be ridden on the road legal... I already tried this path with LTSA, even had headlight and everything hooked up ready to go.
There are so many laws for MoPeds now its crazy, LTSA also trying to make all engine powered vehicles have W.O.F even Mopeds.

You could try it but would be dodgey.. you will need

Headlight
Brake light operated by front and rear brake lever
Treaded road tyres (must not say race purpose only)
Turn signals
Horn
All lights must be D.O.T approved (eg have EEC markings)
Rear reflector (certain size 8cm square red on white background)
Secure footpegs.... (lol good luck with this one..haha..)

Engine must be less than 2Kw.... (lol good luck with this one..haha)

Anyway... seems way more trouble than its worth, considering you can get 4.5Kw + water cooled bike, be the first to outrun a police car on video....
( These are not the views of Newmanz R/C Direct and should not be attempted in any way, shape or form.... for insain maniacs only)

motorbyclist
24th October 2007, 14:55
from what i hear a moped under 2kw needs no wof, so technically you should be ok with just a $70 rego and plate.

i doubt the police would agree, and at that height you are asking to be killed. cagers have a hard enough time seeing full size/full noise bikes as it is.

do not ride on a public road, you will be badly hurt. that said, i ride mine on new subdivisions (nice smooth seal) on the weekends. the roads are still closed and there's no work being carried out at the time

When you get your bike, pull it apart and put it back together again.
Check all the nuts and bolts , chain etc.
Follow the instructions you get with the bike,

I will keep that in mind when I get it!!! Do they not tighten the nuts properly? Anything else I should watch out for with the cheaper bikes? Thanks, :)

i bought one off trademe for $200. tightened all the chassis/brakes/engine mounts but assumed the engine was ok. in 20 minutes i lost the air filter. another ten minutes the bike cut out as the carby was beginning to fall off. turns out the only tight bolts on the whole bike were the flywheel and cylinder-to-crankcase bolts.

the chinese pull start rope snapped within one day, the fuel line and filter are (were) dangerously close to the exhaust pipe, to the point where there was melt marks. the brake discs are either crooked or misaligned and make a regular chafing noise, and after about the 5th ride it started losing power and has never worked since.

for $200 i'm not complaining, and with a bit of effort i could probably get it running again, but when buying a chinese bike do not expect quality.

oh, and don't try to start it with a power drill. the flywheel bolt just shears off even at lowest torque settings:doh:

edit: it WAS fun to ride though, and you sure get some funny looks..... just beware of speed wobbles at 40kph - scary stuff

SHELRACING
24th October 2007, 16:37
beware of speed wobbles at 40kph - scary stuff[/QUOTE]

How did you manage to get the speed wobbles at 40kph?
That's not fast enough to get the speed wobbles.

When you get to a 100kph on a pocketbike, grab a handful of brake, hope and pray you slow down enough for a hairpin corner, then you can worry.:eek5:

Now thats fun!

motorbyclist
24th October 2007, 17:41
ok, might have been 50k as i was going downhill.... dunno what started it, maybe it was me, maybe it was a stone.... not the best designed things, or atleast my one anyway