PDA

View Full Version : Ride Sunday the 30th

motorbyclist
21st September 2007, 20:39
leaving from wild west honda, after the AGM. We don't know when that'll be finished, but it should be around 2:30ish.

I'm thinking leaving from wild west honda at 3 we go along great north road, turn left onto titirangi rd, and at the titirangi roundabout we go left again to huia

should take maybe 2 hours, 60 minutes each way - at a guess - so we'll be back 5ish

ehab2weelr
22nd September 2007, 15:32
sounds good. my be able to come... wel c how things go :yes:

RC1
22nd September 2007, 15:49
should take maybe 3 hours, 90 minutes each way - at a guess

shouldnt really take you more than an hour each way on this (just cruizn)

motorbyclist
22nd September 2007, 17:34
i didn't think it would, but we've gotta account for getting everyone out of the suburbs in one group

edited main thing anyway

JeremyW
22nd September 2007, 18:22
Ill be keen if I can sort my bikes fueling problem. What kinda pace would you be expecting?

motorbyclist
22nd September 2007, 19:04
it's a relatively short run, so once we hit huia rd the fast guys will tear off and the slower will go slower...

i might add that it's a beautiful windy road that goes down across the lower nihotipu damn, and ends winding along the coast with water on one side and cliffs on the other (alot like coromandel just north of thames)

ehab2weelr
24th September 2007, 14:03
mean sound like its gana be a fun ride...:buggerd:
its gana be after the BBQ aye??

motorbyclist
24th September 2007, 19:02
yeap, so that way we can't accidentally miss the agm cause we're busy riding ;)

Phurrball
25th September 2007, 18:46
My home stomping ground! Yay! (tis but a small detour to Laingholm and home)

Some good twisties out this way - gotta watch the tar snakes, dodgy road surfaces and drivers on wrong side of the road round corners though...

Will see y'all at the AGM and then take the FXR out for an abuse session with you all.

Edit: It definately won't take too long to head out and back, even at a pootle....

Chrislost
25th September 2007, 20:03
leaving from wild west honda, after the AGM. We don't know when that'll be finished, but it should be around 2:30ish.

I'm thinking leaving from wild west honda at 3 we go along great north road, turn left onto titirangi rd, and at the titirangi roundabout we go left again to huia

should take maybe 2 hours, 60 minutes each way - at a guess - so we'll be back 5ish

yknow you should do a ride when i can come and show you all how to total a bike and walk away

bomma
25th September 2007, 20:16
im outtie....have funnies kiddies and ill see you all at the AGM :)

motorbyclist
25th September 2007, 22:51
yknow you should do a ride when i can come and show you all how to total a bike and walk away

lol, pull a sickie

Macstar
26th September 2007, 17:25
Just went for a cruise this avo out to Piha. Traffic was light, sun shining, road dry, moss
disappearing.... yeah man opened it up!

I put some spacers in my front forks yesterday (7mm) and wound up the preload / adjusted rebound and MAN what a difference! I didn't realise it before, but I was getting pretty severe nose diving in corners (especially after replacing the rear shock and raising the bike a little).

Cornering speeds just went up 10-15%!!!!!!!! Reckon I might be able to give the VFR a little run next time!

motorbyclist
26th September 2007, 19:17
ah excellent! after tonights burn down piha rd with chris i thought the only way i was going to have a rider the same speed as me on the smc rides was to have them on weekdays!

and considering his accidents, and our speed, how i havent written off a bike yet is beyond me. nearly had two head ons this arvo, and on symonds st at 11am i nearly t boned an idiot doing a U turn without looking (i don't think i was speeding, but damn the brakes, horn, middle finger and abusing-voice got a workout)

Macstar
26th September 2007, 19:33
It's pretty scary pushing hard through the Waitakere ranges - the corners are bloody awesome and a good rider can hit them pretty hard, but the corners are so blind you just don't know what's awaiting you. I came around a corner on the way to Piha today and a car coming the other way had crossed the line and was on my side of the road by about 1-2 feet. It scared the shit out of me but I was far enough left to avoid him/her. In a situation like that, no rider would have enough time to adjust their line sufficiently...

I guess that's why they call them corners eh? (cause you can't see around them).

In the Dakar rally race entrants have a warning system when other drivers are approaching them / in their vacinity. Maybe this idea could be adapted for general motorists i.e. a warning beep that another vehicle is close to you.

Chrislost
26th September 2007, 20:35
yknow the left side of the road is for riding on not the right though right???

and you only crash when you go fast on the straights.
tho my knee meet the ground a few times today.

motorbyclist
26th September 2007, 23:22
but the right hand side is fun! makes for way smoother lines.... just need to solve that pesky oncoming traffic problem...

and yea, maybe i should get some knee sliders too - i imagine i'll wreck my pants if i start probing the ground with my knee rather than just hovering above it... maybe get some of those steel ones and throw up some sparks:D

(and i'm yet to crash a roadbike. i've dropped an fxr on a roundabout in the wet, but that's it.... and a helluvalotta close calls)

Squiggles
27th September 2007, 00:12
and on symonds st at 11am i nearly t boned an idiot doing a U turn without looking (i don't think i was speeding, but damn the brakes, horn, middle finger and abusing-voice got a workout)

You were gassing it after a somewhat dodgey pullout from where you parked... dodgey seeing as there were others crossing the road and you seemed in such a hurry.... writing off a bike isnt something to aim for :)

motorbyclist
27th September 2007, 00:29
but i wasn't speeding!

and more importantly, he didn't look till i was pointed at his door! (he had the usual, "oh shit" expression)

twinkle
27th September 2007, 07:15
You were gassing it after a somewhat dodgey pullout from where you parked...

:rofl: I was thinking there was probably more to it than he was saying.

bomma
27th September 2007, 09:32
andrew......why is that almost all your stories involve you (or someone you are riding with) coming off or almost coming off or you riding in the wrong lane or you almost getting taken out by cars while in the wrong lane...or you almost getting taken out by a car while trying to pass around a blind corner....:eek5:

i can understand the usual "the bloody idiot had his car half in my lane" or "man that gravel/moss/unusually wet corner had my rear going nuts" but you, my friend, are something else.....:blink:

ehab2weelr
27th September 2007, 10:59
and come to think i thought of u as a good rider. someone to look up to!
hah what a shame Andrew!!!:weep: :lol: :spanking: :buggerd:
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

Chrislost
27th September 2007, 12:26
it was all good.
turning right is werid cos the ditch is right there calling your bike. calling...

who wants to go for a ride today? was thinking that we start from uni, do all the kiwibiker night ride roads in reverse, meet them at the gassey then follow them at their snails pace...

bomma
27th September 2007, 20:36
who wants to go for a ride today? was thinking that we start from uni, do all the kiwibiker night ride roads in reverse, meet them at the gassey then follow them at their snails pace...

hope you managed to get out chrissy boy....looked like an awesome day to go out cruisin!! :2thumbsup

i just found out my exam timetable today....29,30,31 oct n last one on 2 nov :calm: dont think im gonna be making many rides over the next month :crybaby:

motorbyclist
27th September 2007, 21:06
:rofl: I was thinking there was probably more to it than he was saying.

he still didn't look, so either way it would have happened (and my engineering mates who saw it didn't think i was being too dodgy)

andrew......why is that almost all your stories involve you (or someone you are riding with) coming off or almost coming off or you riding in the wrong lane or you almost getting taken out by cars while in the wrong lane...or you almost getting taken out by a car while trying to pass around a blind corner....:eek5:

i can understand the usual "the bloody idiot had his car half in my lane" or "man that gravel/moss/unusually wet corner had my rear going nuts" but you, my friend, are something else.....:blink:

one day i'll learn, but then again, maybe not... you should see me offroad where it doesn't matter if i crash the bike:Oops:

and come to think i thought of u as a good rider. someone to look up to!
hah what a shame Andrew!!!:weep: :lol: :spanking: :buggerd:
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahah

i'm a good rider in a skill sense, just not what i'd call a safe/legal rider (though i can be)

atleast i'm insured, fully licenced, capable of not actually crashing (so far), and keep my bike in reasonable working order

the guy who lowsided on sunday was in none of those categories, and he wasn't very skilled either (and admitted his tyres were shit but never got around to replacing them - now his bike is a write off)... guys like that worry even me

bomma
27th September 2007, 21:12
the guy who lowsided on sunday was in none of those categories, and he wasn't very skilled either (and admitted his tyres were shit but never got around to replacing them - now his bike is a write off)... guys like that worry even me

which guy and which sunday???

motorbyclist
27th September 2007, 21:22
sunday just been..... me and my mate went for a ride. he's got his learners and was on kyles old FXR. we went to parakai with dad, picked up my little bro, took him home thewn me and my mate went and he had a go on the vfr. man it was scary watching him ride my baby - he has next to no road experience, it was wet, on a windy road we hardly knew, and offroad he's more insane than even i am. talk about instant regret, in hindsight it was a horrible idea, but it turned out ok.... just now he wants one!

anyway, some westie on an old kawasaki gpx750, running like a dog, came up and was riding with us. i hopped back on the vfr to see how quick he was and maybe 3 km later i was turning around looking for him. him and my mate (back on the fxr) were picking the gpx back up. he had lowsided after putting on too much power, raped fairings, looks like he dislocated his wrist, broke alterator cover and a bit of the crank case where said cover bolted on - "fixable" with epoxy, otherwise a write off. buggered a muffler... oh, and scratched flash new helmet (no other gear except for gloves)

(guy had no bike licence, and had 115 demerit points anyway - waiting for cops to come collect the card)