PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs

Indiana_Jones
22nd September 2007, 13:25
Hi there guys.

Took my bike down to the workshop, cause I had been thinking it was sounding funny, mech says it seems fine.

I was discussing how I think it runs rich, he said if the plugs foul (as they do sometimes), I should use spark plugs one step up in the heat range.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

-Indy

xwhatsit
22nd September 2007, 13:38
Do they really foul, to the point of where it misses? I've seen that recommended it quite a few places. Mostly for strokers though.

But anyway. With NGKs and other Japanese sparking plugs, the higher the number, the colder the plug. So you'll want a smaller number. CR9EH standard, right? So you'll want a CR8xxx. 9 does seem quite cold, to be honest, and I thought a water cooled motor would not need such a cold plug.

Flaming expensive though, a set of plugs for a CBR. You probably just need to rev it more :)

Indiana_Jones
22nd September 2007, 14:35
Do they really foul, to the point of where it misses? I've seen that recommended it quite a few places. Mostly for strokers though.

But anyway. With NGKs and other Japanese sparking plugs, the higher the number, the colder the plug. So you'll want a smaller number. CR9EH standard, right? So you'll want a CR8xxx. 9 does seem quite cold, to be honest, and I thought a water cooled motor would not need such a cold plug.

Flaming expensive though, a set of plugs for a CBR. You probably just need to rev it more :)

Cheers xerxes,

Yea, a set of plugs is just under $80 for the CBR.

I might give it a go, if worst comes to worst, i'll just put the old ones back in

-Indy

Fatjim
22nd September 2007, 17:10
Plugs are somehting you can save quite a bit on by buying from the US or Canada.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd September 2007, 17:27
Plugs are somehting you can save quite a bit on by buying from the US or Canada.

not my experience: I bought a set of plugs for my track only VFR (after the horror show at the 2 September HAGD at Ruapuna that I didnt ride in) from the LBS for $134 (34 each for NGK ER9EH plugs).

Since I wanted a spare set in case I ever have the same trouble, and couldnt source any locally, I bought a set out of ebay UK and landed the bill on my card was $122.90.

OK, the plugs for the VFR are known to be expensive (why is that?) but the only reason I shopped overseas was availability.