PDA

View Full Version : North and South Island Tour this summer

Macstar
25th September 2007, 17:48
Hey guys & gals

I'd like to bring the much talked about NZ tour forward a little by starting a thread now so that people can start saving $$, getting their bikes mechanically ready and planning time off work etc.

Here's the rough idea:

What: A non-rushed tour of NZ (2-3 weeks)
When: Dec or Jan
Who: Anyone with a bike really but officially a SMC club ride.
Why: Could be my last chance to see NZ before moving overseas, and like many other Kiwis, I've never done this before.

*I reckon up to 3000-4000kms could be travelled on this trip.
*My bike costs 30 cents per km on average to run 900cc (all expenses including gas), so there's around $1000 in bike costs for me, others may be less.
*Return ferry ride $100?
*Accom $300 (campgrounds)
*AA membership $150
*Food and beers etc 700 ish.

Total: $2250 approx (riding one up)
or Total: $1750 (Bike fees can be cut in half if you take a passenger).

So, who's keen and when?
Any cost saving tips for the trip?

bomma
25th September 2007, 20:18
hmm didnt think itd be that expensive aye....ill prolly rack up a few more hundie in petrol costs on the kwaka than your rf.....

mayb i shud take her in for servicing and hope i get a moto guzzi as a replacement bike :lol:

dnt know if i can make that one but ill sure as hell try my best!!!

and what you mean you are moving overseas?!?!?!

NighthawkNZ
25th September 2007, 20:29

So, who's keen and when?

Well I am sure some of the dunedin crew will do a day ride with you... some maybe even further... also depends what else is on and all that blah blah blah

Let me know when and if you come to Dunedin...

klyong82
25th September 2007, 20:48
Keep me updated. Could follow you if you make it during Christmas New Year's time.....but I am keen

doc
25th September 2007, 20:57
Suggest you check www.interislander.co.nz the fare has gone up quite a bit in the last couple of months . Lots more that the CPI anyway. Think you might be under estimating a lot of the cost of the trip, unless you can stay at a lot of KB'rs places, who will offer you accomodation. But its still an awesome place on a bike.

feral1
25th September 2007, 21:09
Budget wise, it depends on how you wanna do it... but $ seven hundy on piss and food for two to three weeks... not likely...
The boys went for a 6 day Tour of Southland with my motorcycle club. one chewed set of tires on the R1 and an easy seven hundy + in six days pissed up against the wall. not really that hard, when your talking buying breakfast, lunch, dinner and a couple of drinks..

Anyways. Go for it fellas. Touring NZ is fantastic and something we don't end up doing enough of as kiwis.

Cheers
Feral

PS. if coming down the west coast (which is a must while your in the Sth Islnd) drop us a PM and I'll ride with ya's.

jafar
25th September 2007, 22:03
Hey guys & gals

I'd like to bring the much talked about NZ tour forward a little by starting a thread now so that people can start saving $$, getting their bikes mechanically ready and planning time off work etc.

Here's the rough idea:

Why: Could be my last chance to see NZ before moving overseas, and like many other Kiwis, I've never done this before.

*My bike costs 30 cents per km on average to run 900cc (all expenses including gas), so there's around $1000 in bike costs for me, others may be less.
*Return ferry ride $100?
*AA membership $150

So, who's keen and when?

Did this trip earlier this year & sad to say but your figures are out.
2 weeks around the south island (ex auckland) = 6,000 k

Ferry crossing was $99.00 one way (Bluebridge non transferable) $125.00 Interislander tranferable. The interislander gives the option of changing your crossing time if something unforseen happens & you are not penalised provided you give them a bit of notice.

Accommodation will cost more as you are travelling @ peak times & getting into a camping ground will be a mission & discounts will not apply. Also camping means a lot of extra equipment to carry. Tents, cooking equipment, sleeping bags, E.T.C.

AA membership? As I recall the AA isn't interested in bikes, would pay to check with them before you part with your money.

Food & beers for 2 weeks will set you back more than $700.00 per person unless you plan to cook everything & steal your beer.

Missing from your 'budget' is costing for emergencies & mishaps, as these are an unknown a Mastercard or Visa to take with you is a good backup.

Cost saving tip:
Don't do this trip in the peak period. School holidays are not only a pain in the arse but expensive times to travel in.

Macstar
25th September 2007, 22:47
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well, judging by the above - we could be up for a few more dollars than hoped...

I would plan to buy cheaper supermarket food where poss instead of restaurants and takeout 3 times a day and wasn't gonna drink a doz a day, just a few beers to unwind each night, but yeah may need to up the food and bev budget.

Accomm, I'd take a tent and sleeping bag so mixture of campgrounds and wherever... KBer front lawns maybe!!

Holiday traffic: yes didn't think of that - good point.

Is there anything in the SMC club kitty?
Maybe I/we can sell something along the way to earn a few dollars...

motorbyclist
25th September 2007, 23:00
i'm way too poor for the trip, and would hate all the traffic anyway...

besides, we could do several smaller, easier rides in that time, and i plan to build a bike these holidays:D

scumdog
25th September 2007, 23:11
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Well, judging by the above - we could be up for a few more dollars than hoped...

Accomm, I'd take a tent and sleeping bag so mixture of campgrounds and wherever... KBer front lawns maybe!!...

A front lawn and more available here should you get that far...

Highlander
25th September 2007, 23:52
Your ferry crossings are quite likely to cost a bit more than that.

If I were doing it I'd look here for accommodation options:

http://www.top10.co.nz/top_10_club.html or
http://www.bbh.co.nz/listings.aspx

Depending on what you wish to eat and how many beers you want to wash it down with the $700 can be made to work ($700 for 21 days is $33 each day, I could eat for that with out resorting to 2 minute noodles).

Go to it, great way to see the country.

Zapf
26th September 2007, 00:51
I am looking at doing a tour between Nov and Dec. And also rolling it in with this
South Island - 2007 Chatto Creek 1000 miler -
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=55535

the event starts on the 1st Dec, so I'll be looking at parting Auckland at around about the 24th of Nov, and no later than the 28~29th Nov.

I am happy to cook for most dinners and stay at backpackers. My breakfast would be bread & spread, and lunch the local bake house. I have done about 3 South island trips over the last 3 years, they lasted from 1 1/2 weeks to 3 weeks.

At the moment I am in the planning stage, if everything looks good then it'll be a goer.

Macstar, let me know ur thoughts and we can have a chat u are keen.

EJK
26th September 2007, 01:19
Put me up on the list! lol I'll join you on the North Island tour only tho :( lol
If that's alright with you :)

I'll start saving now! :D

NighthawkNZ
26th September 2007, 07:55
Save accommidation by staying at friends, families (there may be a few offers from other KBers) where you can. and at the camp sites. Heck I have camped in between the cities before and set up camp at various rest areas just out side of town. (make sure you have your own supply of loo paper :doh:)

Buy some small camp cookers and cooking gear, http://completeoutdoors.biz/category/75/ (make sure you have enuough gas) use them some of the time will save you on food and eating out all the time. Make your own lunches where you can sandwhiches or when you can using the cooker... people fall into buying their lunch every day that can be a big saving

Not much can be saved on the running costs, other than if you open up for that long long straight even a little then you are chewing more fuel and tread etc which equalls $$$... not only that you miss the main reason why you are doing the tour in the first place... travelling in a group can slow the pace which means saving etc... and is more fun anyway :2thumbsup

Take as much with you as you can, buying bits an pieces on the trip adds up especially when you have whatever at home already.

scumdog
26th September 2007, 08:35
Courier/post clean clothes to one or two locations ahead, that way your on-board load is smaller and you don't have to do so much laundry.

(And post the pongy clothes home for a happy 'welcome home' atmosphere!!)

Macstar
26th September 2007, 09:17
A front lawn and more available here should you get that far...

Shucks, thanks mate - will PM you closer to the time.

($700 for 21 days is $33 each day, I could eat for that with out resorting to 2 minute noodles)

Yep, that's what I thought/hoped when I came up with that figure.

I am looking at doing a tour between Nov and Dec. And also rolling it in with this
South Island - 2007 Chatto Creek 1000 miler -
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=55535

the event starts on the 1st Dec, so I'll be looking at parting Auckland at around about the 24th of Nov, and no later than the 28~29th Nov.

Now this is interesting! It won't be easy to gel time-wise for me as my thesis is due 15 Dec, but maybe just maybe I will be able to get my act together and complete it early... I will be in touch with you on this thanks.

Heck I have camped in between the cities before and set up camp at various rest areas just out side of town.

Yeah I was planning a little of that too... already got all the camping gears (lightweight and compact stuff from my tramping days too).

Courier/post clean clothes to one or two locations ahead

Brilliant idea!

See KBers, I knew you guys would have some awesome suggestions!

Jantar
26th September 2007, 09:45
Ferry crossing was $99.00 one way (Bluebridge non transferable) $125.00 Interislander tranferable. The interislander gives the option of changing your crossing time if something unforseen happens & you are not penalised provided you give them a bit of notice..
The Blubridge only has one fare, and that IS transferrable but not refunable. I have just got off the phone from making a change in my booking with Bluebridge.

From their ticket:
Bookings may be transferred until 24 hours prior to time of travel but are subject to availability and must be used within three months of the original sailing date. Where the same priced fare is unavailable, the customer will need to pay an upgrade.

Jantar
26th September 2007, 10:31
Hey guys & gals

Here's the rough idea:

*Return ferry ride $100?
*AA membership $150

So, who's keen and when?

Having completed many trips around New Zealand, your idea is not too far out. Allow 6000 kms rather than 3000 - 4000, and two to three weeks would be about right.

Have your bikes fully serviced and new tyres before you start. Say $750.

Fuel for 6000 km will depend on your bike, but 400 litres at $1.75 is $700

Blue bridge Ferries only have a single price and don't increase it over peak times. Currently $105 each way for bike and rider. $210

Stay at backpackers, camping grounds or camp on KBers lawns. Allow $20 per night. $400.

Food and booze: Allow $40 - $50 per day. $800

Keep an additional $100 tucked away for an unexpected treat.

So thats $3000 for 3 weeks.

My last NZ tour was the Souther Cross, and that worked out at $2000 for 10 days. The previous NZ tour was two up and covered only 4700 km but cost $3000 for both of us over 17 days.

MotoGirl
26th September 2007, 12:28
My father does a South Island tour every second year to tie in with the Ulysses AGM (starting from Tauranga). He goes with five other people and they stay in the Top 10 cabins along the way (i.e. a cabin with six bunks and use the communal kitchen and toilets). They get the Top 10 card so each night costs them about $10-14.
I'm going with him next year and he's told me to budget $2,500 for the 16 days. This excludes the tyres I'll have to replace when I get home and any servicing before or after the trip.

Oh yeah, dad did about 5,000km last time and chewed through a set of Pilot Powers on his 'busa.

Squiggles
26th September 2007, 16:39
i did a 4000k one round the south last new years, down the east then in to mt cook (beautiful) then out to moeraki then back thru the pig route and in towards queenstown, out from there and up the west coast to nelson, then back up through taupo....

Stayed with family/friends for a bit (aunts with a farm in timaru, friends in chch), rest was tenting...

Ferry was $75 for one person and a bike each way, most accom for the tent was 15-25 a night for the two of us i think..

if you're doing bigger k's that that/ doing the west coast be prepared for a change of tyres, west coast ripped up a couple of mill on my rear, and be ready for heavy rain and soaked gear :(

Dont know if i'd be in, maybe (depends when)... i know ill eat at least a set of tyres if i go on the tl

Will have to find my pics of the trip to show ya, especially the one of the loaded gsxr :D

Hanne
26th September 2007, 18:02
Stephen and i spent nearly three weeks on our trip, it was awesome! That really was enough time to be away for though, and you have to remember to leave a bit of time to stop and explore places.

We only did the South Island properly (North Island was a straight run from Welly to Aucks on the way home, although we did go down via Tauranga/ Rotorua)but I still think that if we were to do the trip again I would choose fewer destinations and stay 2 nights so as to have more time to have a poke around...

Other than that, it really is the most awesome way to see our country!

Stephen and I have been planning on having a look around the East Cape and Gisbourne area over summer, Maybe we could join you if you were passing through that way.

Sounds awesome, keep us updated!

Cheers,
Hanne

Zapf
26th September 2007, 19:09
Shucks, thanks mate - will PM you closer to the time.

Yep, that's what I thought/hoped when I came up with that figure.

Now this is interesting! It won't be easy to gel time-wise for me as my thesis is due 15 Dec, but maybe just maybe I will be able to get my act together and complete it early... I will be in touch with you on this thanks.

Yeah I was planning a little of that too... already got all the camping gears (lightweight and compact stuff from my tramping days too).

Brilliant idea!

See KBers, I knew you guys would have some awesome suggestions!

I run Strada's or Pilot Road 2's so I will get 10'000k's from a set of tires on the XX, re time wise let me know sooner the better. Think about it this way, by going earlier you avoide the mad xmas traffic and holiday congestion. I however don't plan on camping, its good to have hot shower and full kitchen at the backpackers.

For me it'll mainly be a tour and photographic trip.

doc
26th September 2007, 19:17
i'm way too poor for the trip, and would hate all the traffic anyway...

besides, we could do several smaller, easier rides in that time, and i plan to build a bike these holidays:DLast trip to the Brass did 3,500km and only traffic lights we struck were in the North Island, The brass is during a public holiday and never struck a single traffic jam until we got off the ferry.

Zapf
29th September 2007, 21:02
So how is the thinking cap coming along ? :)

Macstar
29th September 2007, 23:10
So how is the thinking cap coming along ? :)

Well, to cut to the chase: I can't guarantee just yet and don't want to muck you around. Knowing with 100% certainty that my thesis will be done by then is a tough call, also I'd like to do the trip with my girlfriend on the back and she doesn't think she'll be able to get time off in Nov...

Sorry mate, I want to make this trip but will probably need to go later in Dec or Jan. If it's ok, keep your plans known on this thread cause there's a few of us keen to do this trip at some stage.

jafar
30th September 2007, 00:09
Well, to cut to the chase: I can't guarantee just yet and don't want to muck you around. Knowing with 100% certainty that my thesis will be done by then is a tough call, also I'd like to do the trip with my girlfriend on the back and she doesn't think she'll be able to get time off in Nov...

Sorry mate, I want to make this trip but will probably need to go later in Dec or Jan. If it's ok, keep your plans known on this thread cause there's a few of us keen to do this trip at some stage.

IMHO the best time to do this trip is in february or march , the weather is better , there are not skool holidays, accomodation is easy to get & often cheaper than in 'peak' times.

Zapf
30th September 2007, 04:49

Sure thing, I might do another trip in Jan / Feb if I am still in NZ