PDA

View Full Version : Following slow cars be a lesson for you all - a near miss...

HungusMaximist
7th October 2007, 22:13
Just a lesson for you all and me.

On Friday morning I had a near bin miss coming out of the St Johns roundabout which intersects St Johns Rd and College Rd.

Just as I left the roundabout there was a white KIA ahead of me. The KIA was slowing down very significantly and was traveling close to left hand side curb. So I thought the car was either gonna indicate left and pull to a stop or keep on going straight ahead.

The sensible thing to do in that situation was probably to wait it out a little longer and see what the driver was going to do next but as I was eager to get home, I started to swerve to the right and begin to over take and before I know it, the car turned right and smacks into me.

After that I swerved violently (as I lost my back due to the smack) onto the opposite road and managed to avoid the evil on coming curb by cutting through to a drive way on my right and coming to halt . All that time the only thing that I was telling myself ''oh shit, oh shit it's gonna drop, it's gonna drop but fuck, don't you fucken drop it", because just as I was about to come to a complete stop the bike started to lean and was about to drop, I flipping grabbed the handle bars and yanked it as hard as could to the right and saved it. :rolleyes:

Jumped off my bike and assessed the damage, broken givi side pannier rack, dents in my left hand exhaust, left foot peg snapped clean off, bent brackets and a fucken sore leg. I was in a state of disbelief how I saved myself from binning but was glad I didn't come off any worse.

Had a chat to the senior driver, the first thing that came outta his mouth was "Are you alright?" and I replied "Yea I am fine, but I am not so sure about my bike" and showed him the my bike and he said with no hesitation "I will pay for the repairs". I asked him "you got insurance?", he ignored me so I carried on to grab his details and when I asked for his driver license he looked really disappointed and wished that I never asked him. :wacko:

Cut this short, had a short yarn with him about what happened, the whole "sorry I didn't see you'' line came up and I said "look, you obviously didn't look before you turned''.

End of the day, he received a few deep marks on his right hand bumper and I didn't end up in the ground. Damage on my part was some what minor but was reasonable enough to teach me how to ride without a foot peg (frikkin hard I tell yeah). As for insurance companies, didn't bother, wasn't significant enough on my part and he gave me a few hundy to sort it out privately as he and I knew getting the insurance to cop out here was pointless.

The lesson learned and what I should have done instead?

*I should have stayed and waited. I wasn't thinking properly and made a error of judgment by over taking. The car infront gave no signals he was going to turn until the last minute, so cars that you encounter in situations like this, wait the fuck out!

*Don't fucken overtake/swerve to the right unless you're 100% sure the cage infront of ya isn't gonna do something out of the blue (this is very applicable in suburban areas). This means, he has clearly indicated. Be very very cautious at drivers that keep slowing down and speeding up infront of you, they are most likely, learning how to drive or looking for an address.

I have actually posted stuff on this shit, so on my part, this happening to me is just ironic. I am usually really good with these things and I am glad I learned this the hard way and vow never to over take until I am doubley sure. :niceone:

Also don't be a smart ass like the guy I saw on Tamaki drive on Friday afternoon. He was wearing a grey/black alpine star textile jacket, black helmet, backpack? and riding a naked bike resembling a Bandit 650/1250. The dude was literally in and out, filtering through the rush hour traffic as if he owned it. Sure, I thought he looked pretty cool doing shit like that and glad he had the balls, but a one dumb car and you're it.

motorbyclist
7th October 2007, 22:35
As for insurance companies, didn't bother, wasn't significant enough on my part and he gave me a few hundy to sort it out privately as he and I knew getting the insurance to cop out here was pointless.

firstly, congratulations on getting a reasonable cager to knock you off, rather than the ones more concerned about their car than the rider who's still picking himself up (or rolling in agony, twitching, or not moving at all).

secondly, you'd better hope that "a few hundy" covers all the repairs or you'll wish you had waited till it was all paid for.

Zapf
7th October 2007, 23:11
ouch, sorry to hear... a few hund might buy you a givi pannier rack.. or you can get it welded up again :)

make sure you get someone to check your sub frame ... etc is all ok.

Glad to hear you / ur leg came away without much damage.

here is an interesting thought, should you have been closer to the car (instead to the far right of it) he might have seen you and also if he did hit you the speed wouldn't have been as great. He would have seen you in his mirrors, and if he did turn you can swerve around his back end...?

mstriumph
7th October 2007, 23:33
don't sweat it - you were right to ask for his details and licence .................. he may have been reasonable at the time and may well have STAYED reasonable when he'd had a change to think it over and discuss it with his mates

but you never can tell

by acting as you did, you've removed the element of chance

my 2c

marty
8th October 2007, 08:09
considering it was your fault, you haven't done too bad. take the $$ and run.

Mr. Peanut
8th October 2007, 08:13
:Oops: Beat me to it Marty...

sAsLEX
8th October 2007, 08:14

Did I miss the bit where they made a properly executed and indicated right turn?

vifferman
8th October 2007, 08:18
Bad luck, Dude. Hope you get your bike repairs sorted alright.

I've had a similar thing happen to me, only my bike (VFR750) suffered $6800 of damage and was written off. I was nearly written off, but thanks to very good gear with armour, I just suffered a lot of pain, lots of physio, and some remnant discomfort. Still, I'm a better weather barometer than I used to be...

Here's a simple tip: if you're in a situation like this, tootle the other driver (melodiously at first, then more vigorously. Or, if your horn's like mine, it's all "GET THE FARK OUTTA THE WAY!!!").
It's just a way of saying, "Hey - I'm just behind you, and I'm not sure what you're doing!".

HungusMaximist
8th October 2007, 08:29

Haha, well, it was the case who hit who. He turned and I ran straight in him or he smacked into me while I was on his right. The whole time I knew I played a major part in the "fault" department but nah, I stayed calm and didn't accept blame.

Either way, yea, I did something really stupid there and glad the driver was a reasonable chap and didn't look too much into the accident. I got some money and he probably ended up footing up with a bigger bill. :whistle:

Well, as for the subframe, I don't think I suffered much but then again I don't really know what you mean. There was some minor frame warpage along the lower part of my bike, where my left exhaust sits and enough that my exhaust now sit lower and out of line with my right hand one.

Yea, on the other note, I need a fella here who can do a simple welding job.

Let me know if you guys know any body here who has a welder at home.

Cheers.

klyong82
8th October 2007, 08:30
Shucks glad you are ok. So that was what you were wanting to tell us. Well maybe it is time for a new bike. VFR800 might be what you after bro...

HungusMaximist
8th October 2007, 08:40
Here's a simple tip: if you're in a situation like this, tootle the other driver (melodiously at first, then more vigorously. Or, if your horn's like mine, it's all "GET THE FARK OUTTA THE WAY!!!").
It's just a way of saying, "Hey - I'm just behind you, and I'm not sure what you're doing!".

Thanks. I am in the process of upgrading my horn from WarlockNZ.

Yea, you know, when I got the cash from him, I sorta thought I should have played dead or at least acted my leg broke and lie cold on the ground for a few mins. That would've scared him and he would've thrown a few more hundy.

OK enough with the jokes... :eek:

HungusMaximist
8th October 2007, 08:42
Shucks glad you are ok. So that was what you were wanting to tell us. Well maybe it is time for a new bike. VFR800 might be what you after bro...

Yea?

Would you like to contribute?

Remember - Sharing is caring..

Macstar
8th October 2007, 08:47
The mighty Gsx lives another day! Glad that you managed to get a few bucks out of him and always good to have 'reminders' from fellow riders. I still reckon you should put that money towards one Yoshi pipe on the left side and leave the ride-side standard - that would be fucken hillarious! Spose a foot peg is priority though...

motorbyclist
8th October 2007, 14:31

but if the other guy didn't have a licence it's automatically his fault

Zapf
8th October 2007, 17:25
but if the other guy didn't have a licence it's automatically his fault

not if he was parked up and u hit him :P

marty
8th October 2007, 17:54
who said he didn't have a licence? certainly if he didn't, then he commits the offence of driving without a licence, but it doesn't automatically make him responsible for someone being impatient and riding into him.

and by your statement, a pedestrian/cyclist etc is always at fault?

Str8 Jacket
8th October 2007, 17:57
Welcome to club Dumbarse mate! I am paying for my stupid decision from last week with a cast.... Not that im saying you're a stupid as me... :confused:

motorbyclist
8th October 2007, 18:21
who said he didn't have a licence? certainly if he didn't, then he commits the offence of driving without a licence, but it doesn't automatically make him responsible for someone being impatient and riding into him.

and by your statement, a pedestrian/cyclist etc is always at fault?

Had a chat to the senior driver, .....and when I asked for his driver license he looked really disappointed and wished that I never asked him. :wacko:

and according to your insurance company, it doesn't matter who did what; if someone was is breach of terms of their licence or doesn't have one at all the accident is their fault. similarly your insurer won't cover you if your wof had expired, and many will include a clause in the policy that states you won't have any alcohol in you at all, regardless of legal limits

Chrislost
8th October 2007, 21:41
there is an engineering shop behind cycletreads.
he welded my footpeg and a few fairing clips back for a box of beer.

motorbyclist
8th October 2007, 22:10
i've got a dodgy chinese built & warehouse bought ($90!) arc welder you can try if you're brave

erix
8th October 2007, 23:35
Just a lesson for you all and me.

Had a chat to the senior driver, the first thing that came outta his mouth was "Are you alright?" and I replied "Yea I am fine, but I am not so sure about my bike" and showed him the my bike and he said with no hesitation "I will pay for the repairs". I asked him "you got insurance?"

Sorry for your accident, but you are lucky in that way the driver admitted his fault. Last time when a fxxking liar cager reverse into my bike and break my front mud guard, he was trying to get away with it by lying to the police, said I ran into his rear. The face of the Fxxking liar still makes me sick every time I see my damaged front mud guard(still waiting for the replacement parts from JP). Hope my insurance company will chase him up for the damage. Heard some people say some big company don't bother chasing up small payout. Just don't want the loser get away so easily after what he had said to me....still piss me off.

Kickaha
9th October 2007, 05:41

Don't be stupid, it is never the motorcyclists fault :girlfight:

NighthawkNZ
9th October 2007, 06:07
The lesson learned and what I should have done instead?
Start listening to that six sense your are now developing as a motorcyclists... the next it could safe your life...

glad that you are alright and that your bike isn't to bad. But I would get it check over to be on the safe side.

HungusMaximist
9th October 2007, 10:48
I am wondering now which work shop I should take it to.

Macstar got a mate who looks at bikes and there's also this place near Real Groovey on Queen St.

The back of my bike is a bit soft when I hit driveway lips, it sort of sinks, could be the suspension or something worse.

Thanks.

motorbyclist
9th October 2007, 12:27
wild west honda!

i find mt eden is pretty good too

bomma
9th October 2007, 12:44
wild west honda!

i find mt eden is pretty good too

ill back wild west, sam (the mechanic there) did a mean job servicing my bike for an awesome price :niceone:

not a great fan of mt eden personally but to each their own i guess

Macstar
9th October 2007, 13:25
not a great fan of mt eden personally but to each their own i guess

Yep, major attitudes down in that basement from the bitchy poms. Strange, cause I've found the guys upstairs to be a good bunch...?

bomma
9th October 2007, 13:30
Yep, major attitudes down in that basement from the bitchy poms.

last time i was there, the two poms were havin a go at each other...

Strange, cause I've found the guys upstairs to be a good bunch...?

yea really good guys, helpfup and always good for a chat :niceone: id buy a bike from em but wudnt get it serviced or get any work done by em

klyong82
9th October 2007, 16:39
last time i was there, the two poms were havin a go at each other...

yea really good guys, helpfup and always good for a chat :niceone: id buy a bike from em but wudnt get it serviced or get any work done by em

No problems with me. They have really been nice to me especially with the guzzi loan bike. Workshop reasonable charges and top service so far.

motorbyclist
9th October 2007, 19:49
yeah, i've had nothing but good experience with the guys at mt eden, showroom and workshop alike, and they will do $35 pickups within auckland if you breakdown or get a flat somewhere.

wild west is nice and local for me, friendly staff and the mechanic there races a vfr like mine so i can trust he knows what he's doing. plus they're open on sundays!

henderson yamaha, while only 5 minutes from my place, is one of my least favourite. most the time they're friendly but sometimes they aren't, and i've never had anything good to say about their mechanics. something goes wrong with every bike i've seen them do, latest being kyle's fzr which is a bitch to start cause when they swapped the engine they didn't swap the carbies so the current carbs aren't the right ones for that model engine. dork mechanic (lol we were in the same room in year6) said it wasn't worth doing the carbies, but being able to start the thing is definetly worth it seeing as once the engine is out it's a matter of minutes to swap the carbies, and kyle wanted to sell/trade the bike afterwards

did anyone go to Offroad Honda up in kumeu? that place was awesome but went under cause the boss got sick and couldn't run it. man that place was mean, had parts on shelf for anything and everything and the desk guy, shane, was really helpful and knowledgable and you'd go there just for a chat. he also sent me to the wrecker down the road for bits they didn't have cheap, and got me onto a good radiator repair place and that tjebbe bruin guy too (no wonder they went broke lol)